Muse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GibsonGirl said:
Did someone mention Showbiz?

The general impression I get from most Muse fans is that Showbiz is a bit under par. Kind of like their very own Pablo Honey. I've never been able to understand that. Okay, so I might be a bit biased... Showbiz was the first Muse album I bought. I think it was in 2004 or 2005 that I got it. A lot of people I knew online were talking about the band, and I thought, hmm, maybe I'll check these guys out. And without asking for recommendations, I decided I'd start from the beginning. After a brief 'getting used to it' period, I quickly found that I'd fallen head over heels for Showbiz. There are some truly amazing songs on that album. Showbiz, Fillip, Cave, Muscle Museum, Sober and Hate This & I'll Love You rank all the way up there for me. It's a very dark album, and I think that's what I love most about it.

So really, if you're a fan and you haven't warmed up to Showbiz, I say just give it a chance.

That's very well said... I started with Origin Of Symetry and when I decided to go back and listen to Showbiz I was like "Hey this is very different from the other one..." Anyway I decided to give it a chance and after a while I fell in love with Muscle Museum and Sunburn (especially after wacthing this last one's videoclip). Nowadays, Showbiz (the song) is on my top 5 Muse songs. I just love the crescendo and Matt's screams. Cave is also a very good dark song, and so on...
As you said, I think this is their darkest album too (though Origin is also dark but it's in a different way), in fact I think they get a little "brighter" with each album (especially the last one). I also think they sound very desperate while in Origin they sound like they want to break some walls:wink:

Haha I look at the albums kinda the same way:

Showbiz: desperation/despair
Origin of Symmetry: pissed off at whatever made them desperate
Absolution: as the name suggests forgiveness and moving on
Blackholes and Revelations: we are the shit:wink:

Something like that anyway.

LJT said:

Absolution: as the name suggests forgiveness and moving on

I see that one as "I'm depressed and I'm going to stay like this for awhile, feel the pain for a while... Then I'll think about moving on". And I think basically the album is about the end of things and everything that comes with it. I guess it's their most perfect album.

Man if you start with Origin of Symmetry you're only going downhill after that - amazing single tracks on that :up:

That said, Absolution is the better record when taken all in one sitting. The quartet of New Born, Bliss, Plug in Baby, and Citizen Erased is unbeatable, though.

I finally watched the Hullabaloo DVD from start to finish. It's amazing how much they matured since then; even compared to Absolution that whole era seems very, I don't know, adolescent. I kinda feel the same way about Origin of Symmetry too - I like it heaps but to me it feels like Muse's "adolescent" album (Showbiz being the "baby" I guess, :)).

Good concert, but I really really really hated the frantic editing and all those "creative" angles especially on the faster songs where it almost made me motion-sick. I didn't think that the arty multiple frames worked either. Still, I enjoyed hearing the earlier songs I've never seen performed live and it was interesting to hear Sunburn on guitar rather than the piano even though I still prefer the latter.

I thought that the second behind-the-scene disc was alternately bizarre and tedious, but the Slipknot mask episode (and Matt's crazy witchy laugh) was absolutely priceless, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Regarding Absolution, I grew to love it but I still think it's a tad overlong. Personally I'd get rid of Small Print which I find a pretty dull rocker and maybe Thoughts of a Dying Atheist which is IMO nowhere as intriguing as its name suggests. And Blackout's positioning kinda throws me out a bit - to me it has a very strong "closer" vibe yet there are still more songs following it.

Last edited:
Saracene said:

Regarding Absolution, I grew to love it but I still think it's a tad overlong. Personally I'd get rid of Small Print which I find a pretty dull rocker and maybe Thoughts of a Dying Atheist which is IMO nowhere as intriguing as its name suggests. And Blackout's positioning kinda throws me out a bit - to me it has a very strong "closer" vibe yet there are still more songs following it.

Really? See, I love both of those songs. It's the slower songs I'm not as into on Absolution... I dunno, I don't listen to like, Endlessly and Falling Away With You (for some reason the intro makes me think of One Tree Hill and I always get confused when it plays) enough...also Ruled by Secrecy and Butterflies and Hurricanes...I enjoy the songs when I listen to them, I just don't often feel inclined too. Only when I feel like spinning the whole album

Small Print and Dying Thoughts of an Atheist though ... :up:

but it's all about hysteria and stockholm syndrome, bitches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndtR3Xer2OE holy shit that's badass. the end is so :drool: I love Radiohead but Thom Yorke would fuckin bawl his eyes out if he went to a Muse show... he cannot handle this much pure rock 'n roll.

Saracene said:

No argument from me here, :) Although I also absolutely adore Sing for Absolution.

me too. beautiful tune. Time is Running Out is also fantastic. Absolution is by far their best album imo... Origin of Symmetry is also consistently good, but the standout tracks aren't as amazing as the standout tracks on Absolution. BHAR is really mixed for me. Map of the Problematique, Starlight, Assassin, Supermassive Black Hole, and Exo-Politics are all :up: , but the rest... meh. Knights of Cydonia is fuckin badass at the end when that killer riff kicks in but I think the track is a little over the top. and of course I havent heard Showbiz yet :)

Heh, I love Knights of Cydonia so much *because* it's so ridiculously over-the-top, :) Overall, BHaR is still my favourite Muse album and in my eyes the most consistent, as well. Exo-Politics is the only song I'm not quite as keen on but I like listening to it when exercising at the gym... Muse in general is awesome treadmill music, :up:

Hysteria is great to work out to... as is Map of the Problematique...yeah i can totally see Muse as being a good work out band. but my best work out bands are Rage Against the Machine and The Fall of Troy. Also, Alien Ant Farm.

on BHAR Soldier's Poem bores the fuck outta me and Invincible rips off this Keane song which is a million times better (and I'm not even a huge Keane fan, i'm just keen on a couple of songs - get it? get it? did you catch that? i hope you all noticed that) City of Delusion and Hoodoo are alright... I dunno they're not bad but they never seem to hook me in. Take a Bow is fine too but somehow it reminds me a lot of New Born, like they picked the same kind of song to open the album I guess

definitely a great radiohead performance but there is no way that little solo section beats the totally rocking out of Stockholm Syndrome... if you're going to compare Muse and Radiohead on which one is the most badass Muse will kick the shit out of Radiohead everytime. I listen to Radiohead for different reasons than I listen to Muse. That's primarily why I don't get the comparisons

AtomicBono said:
definitely a great radiohead performance but there is no way that little solo section beats the totally rocking out of Stockholm Syndrome... if you're going to compare Muse and Radiohead on which one is the most badass Muse will kick the shit out of Radiohead everytime. I listen to Radiohead for different reasons than I listen to Muse. That's primarily why I don't get the comparisons

I get what you mean :up:

Muse is purely headbanging music for me :rockon:

Citizen Erased :drool:

New Born:

Radiohead are on another level :drool:

I listen to Radiohead more for songs like Everything in its Right Place, You and Whose Army, Karma Police, Climbing Up the Walls, Bullet Proof (I Wish I Was)... :drool: I don't think any of Muse's songs sound like those at all

though when it comes to Radiohead rockin, Just has gotta be #1 for me. love love love it. Old Radiohead knew how to rock the fuck out.

AtomicBono said:
I listen to Radiohead more for songs like Everything in its Right Place, You and Whose Army, Karma Police, Climbing Up the Walls, Bullet Proof (I Wish I Was)... :drool: I don't think any of Muse's songs sound like those at all

though when it comes to Radiohead rockin, Just has gotta be #1 for me. love love love it. Old Radiohead knew how to rock the fuck out.

They sure did

but I just love their new electronic self :drool:

Karma Police :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqcbn0ieKU

would you listen to that crowd :wink:

and to stay on topic.. :wink:

unintended is one of the worst pieces of music I have ever heard :yuck:

Saracene said:

:up:

too damn long :mad:

these songs need to go :down:

the small print
Thoughts of a Dying Atheist
Ruled by Secrecy

B Side Material :wink:

dude thom totally said "arrest this girl" instead of "arrest this man" at the beginning... shame on him, i thought bono was the only singer who messes up lyrics :tsk: beautiful performance though, seriously...great hearing the crowd sing along...definitely hope i have a chance to see radiohead sometime in my life. The end of that is so amazing. Very uplifting, somehow.

lmao according to the comments panic at the disco covers karma police?? im afraid to look

what is unintended?? is that a muse song?? I know it not

AtomicBono said:
dude thom totally said "arrest this girl" instead of "arrest this man" at the beginning... shame on him, i thought bono was the only singer who messes up lyrics :tsk: beautiful performance though, seriously...great hearing the crowd sing along...definitely hope i have a chance to see radiohead sometime in my life. The end of that is so amazing. Very uplifting, somehow.

lmao according to the comments panic at the disco covers karma police?? im afraid to look

what is unintended?? is that a muse song?? I know it not

yea Panic covered karma Police

not very pretty :yikes:

"emo hairdo" :lmao:

and Unintended is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92wD8dQ_B54

I used to like it....but now I find it :mad:

the lyrics are what ruin it for me

AtomicBono said:
Hysteria is great to work out to... as is Map of the Problematique...yeah i can totally see Muse as being a good work out band. but my best work out bands are Rage Against the Machine and The Fall of Troy. Also, Alien Ant Farm.

on BHAR Soldier's Poem bores the fuck outta me and Invincible rips off this Keane song which is a million times better (and I'm not even a huge Keane fan, i'm just keen on a couple of songs - get it? get it? did you catch that? i hope you all noticed that) City of Delusion and Hoodoo are alright... I dunno they're not bad but they never seem to hook me in. Take a Bow is fine too but somehow it reminds me a lot of New Born, like they picked the same kind of song to open the album I guess

Rage Against The Machine is one of their biggest influences according to his own words. Though when I listen to them for more then 15 minutes I have a headache... They're too heavy, at least the bit I know is. Though one of my guilty pleasures is their version of Imperial March:happy:
I agree with what you said about Soldier and Invincible but give City Of Delusion a chance, it's one of the greatest tunes of the album in my opinion. And I don't see the resemblance between Take A Bow and New Born... At all... Take A Bow has this electronic influence and New Born is all about the piano intro and then the guitar...

annie_vox said:

Rage Against The Machine is one of their biggest influences according to his own words. Though when I listen to them for more then 15 minutes I have a headache... They're too heavy, at least the bit I know is. Though one of my guilty pleasures is their version of Imperial March:happy:
I agree with what you said about Soldier and Invincible but give City Of Delusion a chance, it's one of the greatest tunes of the album in my opinion. And I don't see the resemblance between Take A Bow and New Born... At all... Take A Bow has this electronic influence and New Born is all about the piano intro and then the guitar...

yeah Rage is heavy but that's why I love them...and I'm sure they are a big influence on Muse. Bellamy likes to rip into Morello's riff from Rage's cover of Maggie's Farm

Yeah City of Delusion is pretty good I guess, though I would not call it an album highlight, it definitely doesnt suck. Also I don't know why I thought Take a Bow and New Born were similar... I guess the intros but the guitar in New Born is :drool: ROCK N ROLL YEA MOTHERFUCKERS :rockon:

i have to say that unintended song is rather dull. For the most part Muse should stick to the rockin...this comes off like Invincible to me - trying too hard.

LOL that is indeed quite the headbang...though I'd say it's worth headbangin' too...but man is he into it :lol:

power trios are kewl

Watching Chris for too long almost makes me motion-sick... I have no idea how he doesn't get dizzy, :huh:

I didn't like Hoodoo all that much at first but now it's one of my favourite tracks on BHaR, :heart: For some reason it always makes me think of Kill Bill movies, at least until it all crashes into Tchaikovsky, :)

Soldier's Poem only really grew on me recently as well, especially after I watched a clip someone put on youtube where the song was used over some footage of WWII soldiers. I must confess it made me blubber.

And "Just" I think is still waaay too tame to call it "rocking the fuck out", :) I think that Radiohead definitely can get aggressive when they want to but to me they never really rocked.

For safe headbanging, swing your head in a circular motion...tis a lot less sore in the morning.

I've always loved Hoodoo, though I generally love almost all Muse.

I think the end of Absolution misses another big rocker, which could have replaced The Small Print and Thoughts of A Dying Atheist, I think it would have made it a more balanced album, but as it stands I think it is their most cohesive in sound and feel.

I always thought that The Smal Print should be replaced by Fury. It's the only song that, in my opinion, doesn't quite fit on the album but it could be a great b-side. On the other hand, Fury resumes a lot of what Absolution is all about, I don't know if I'm making myself clear. And the lyrics are so hauting and dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom