MLB Hot Stove Edition - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #241
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

Don't want Manny. Don't wanna take on that salary for a player of his age and don't wanna give up the halo prospects (which I'm assuming would be top prospects). I hope that 3-way doesn't happen.
you sound as crazy as many met fans.

you put manny and vlad back to back and the angels win the world series.

here's to hoping that your GM agrees with you.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #242
Blue Crack Distributor

i'm still stupified at the sheer number of fans from all sorts of teams that want no part of manny ramirez.

maybe if boston got a little more exposure on espn people would realize how good he is...

Old 12-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
If they get Manny, we won't even recognize these mets.
You'll recognize them when they start underachieving.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:26 PM   #244
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

Plus Manny would enjoy playing with the Rally Monkey during pitching changes.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #245
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

I had to suffer through the years of Autry ownership when every two or three off-seasons we'd pick up some former stud on the backside of his career.

Not to mention Disney's pick-up of Mo Vaughn, which earlier this year Michael Eisner called "the worst hire of his career" (and that's saying something).

Manny's an unbelievable offensive player but he's got maybe -- MAYBE -- two more years of great production, then you're paying him more than $10M per year for 70 rbi's and a lot of bench time due to injuries (always happens with the former-stud free agents).

Two years ago the Angels paid Kevin Appier $16M for the priveledge of dumping him. Aaron Sele made unbelievable money to be an ineffective pitcher for the halos.

I'm done with paying guys 33 or older $10M a year, UNLESS you can get a guy like Manny for no more than 3 years and you don't have to give up your best prospects, which ain't gonna happen.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #246
Blue Crack Distributor

now angel fans are bringing up mo vaughn in their arguments against manny.

i'm at a loss.

perhaps it's second team syndrome... thus explaining the lunacy of angel and met fans re: manny.

dare i say that red sox fans have become the most sane fans on the planet.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #247
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Plus Manny would enjoy playing with the Rally Monkey during pitching changes.
3 words: "Red Sox Nation."
Old 12-06-2005, 02:57 PM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

When the Angels lose, do they all spank the monkey in the locker room after the game?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #249
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

What??

Seriously, put Manny on the 2005 Angels and they probably win the World Series.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #250
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Manny's an unbelievable offensive player but he's got maybe -- MAYBE -- two more years of great production, then you're paying him more than $10M per year for 70 rbi's and a lot of bench time due to injuries (always happens with the former-stud free agents).
Two years? You've got to be kidding. He's still in the prime of his career, and look at his stats. Talk about consistent numbers.

And even if it only lasted two years (which I seriously doubt), the contract only has three years left on it. You wouldn't take two awesome years with him backing up Vlad?

Headache's right. Those of you who wouldn't take Manny now are nuts.

Not that I'm complaining. I'll be more than happy if he stays.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:38 PM   #251
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

And even if it only lasted two years (which I seriously doubt), the contract only has three years left on it. You wouldn't take two awesome years with him backing up Vlad?
Frankly, I just assumed Manny had more years than that left on his contract. If it's only three, then that is certainly a plus.

Still, no way I give up Ervin Santana and/or ss Brandon Wood in the deal (both of whom the Red Sox were reportedly asking for before it became a 3-team proposal). If this 3-way goes off (and it's really only a rumor at this point), Angels should offer mid-level prospects and Darin Erstad (who is rumored to be part of the proposal).

Brandon Wood: http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=ana
Old 12-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Frankly, I just assumed Manny had more years than that left on his contract. If it's only three, then that is certainly a plus.

Still, no way I give up Ervin Santana and/or ss Brandon Wood in the deal (both of whom the Red Sox were reportedly asking for before it became a 3-team proposal). If this 3-way goes off (and it's really only a rumor at this point), Angels should offer mid-level prospects and Darin Erstad (who is rumored to be part of the proposal).

Brandon Wood: http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=ana
Darin Erstad? And you were saying that Manny was over the hill?

The Angels have pitching to spare and desperately need another bat -- Manny for Ervin Santana and others would have been a great deal for them.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #253
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Darin Erstad? And you were saying that Manny was over the hill?

Erstad's name has been mentioned in the rumors. Presumably the Angels would have to give up enough mid-level prospects to make it worth it for Boston. And I'm not saying Manny's over the hill, but his production will tail off in two years. Mark my words.

Quote:
The Angels have pitching to spare and desperately need another bat -- Manny for Ervin Santana and others would have been a great deal for them.
No way. You don't give up a young pitcher like Santana with the stuff he has. This guy is going to have a great career (barring serious injury).

If the Angels gave up Santana that leaves them with Colon, Escobar and Lackey. Well, okay, and Hector Carrasco. Then they've got to find at least a 5th starter. And they actually need Carrasco as a set-up guy anyway.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:15 PM   #254
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
No way. You don't give up a young pitcher like Santana with the stuff he has. This guy is going to have a great career (barring serious injury).

you don't know that. that's the thing... you do not know that he's going to be a great pitcher. all the stuff in the world doesn't gaurantee anything.

if i had a penny for every can't miss pitcher the mets have had who turned into nothing, i'd have a shit load of pennies.

i have absolutely no problem giving up a few guys who might be good players for a guy who is a great player. so many met fans don't want to part with lastings milledge to get manny. i think they're all crazy. even if lastings milledge completely fulfills his potentil... he STILL will not be as good as manny ramirez will be over the remaining three years of his contract. we're talking about one of the greatest run producers of all time here. if lastings milledge is ever even close to manny ramirez, that would make him a sure fire first ballot hall of famer.

frankly... i'm willing to take the chance that milledge won't be that player.

and even if he turns out to be a great player... even a hall of famer... it's not like we traded him away for larry anderson. adding manny ramirez to this lineup instantly makes the mets one of the favorites to win the world series. and isn't that the point here? to win?

i still can't believe that i actually have to argue the worth of manny ramirez... unbelievable
Old 12-06-2005, 09:20 PM   #255
Blue Crack Distributor

Dec 6 - The Mets are about to trade right-handed starter Kris Benson to the Royals for left-hander Jeremy Affeldt and right-hander Mike MacDougal, reports ESPN's Peter Gammons, who says the deal could get done Tuesday night.
Earlier, the Newark Star-Ledger reported that Mets GM Omar Minaya had spoken with several teams about Benson -- including Baltimore, San Francisco and Kansas City.

The Mets like Benson but would move him in order to clear his salary ($15.5M over two years) so they could make a deal for a high-priced starter such as Arizona's Javier Vazquez or Oakland's Barry Zito.

New York almost dealt Benson to Baltimore last week for Jorge Julio. But the Mets went back to the Orioles demanding a high-level prospect in addition to Julio, and the O's balked.