MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jim rice should be... and that's about it from this year's crop.

i guess you could consider bruce sutter and goose gossage, but i dunno... they're not hall of famers to me. same goes for lee smith. they have great numbers and all, but they're closers... i mean, is john franco a hall of famer? his numbers compare... of course not.

i don't think we'll see another closer in the hall until it's mariano rivera's time.

I hope so, but doubt it.
His only hope is that reporters who have blackballed him for years due to his refusal to deal with the press change their attitude and reward him for his on field accomplishmenst,.
He was the most feared hitter in MLB for a 10 year period, his skills just deterirated quickly leaving him just shy of 400 HR's.

Imagine Jim Rice on steroids.
800 HR's easy.

He was the most feared hitter in the game for those 10 years, definitely. When you can dominate a league for that long, you deserve it, but then people look at the numbers, and they don't jump out at you like before because of all the "enhanced" statistics of the last 10 years.

Last edited:
Mets re-sign Ramon Castro to a 1 yr contract

I like it. He was a great back up last year...calls a good game, is respected, and came up w/ many clutch hits:up:

For a period of 12 years -- 1975-86 -- Rice led all American League players in 12 different offensive categories, including home runs (350), RBI (1,276), total bases (3,670), slugging percentage (.520), runs (1,098) and hits (2,145).

He's also the only AL player to have 400 total bases in a season, since Joe DiMaggio did it in 1937.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
jim rice should be... and that's about it from this year's crop.

i guess you could consider bruce sutter and goose gossage, but i dunno... they're not hall of famers to me. same goes for lee smith. they have great numbers and all, but they're closers... i mean, is john franco a hall of famer? his numbers compare... of course not.

i don't think we'll see another closer in the hall until it's mariano rivera's time.

there i go with my evil jinxing powers again

:tosseswaterbottle:

sutter_bruce.jpg

I was driving back from an interview in New York today and Mike and the Mad Dog were saying that there is no way Jim Rice should not be in the Hall of Fame. They argued that he dominated the game for a decade, but his personality is costing him votes.

When I got back in range of the WEEI signal, Glen Ordway was talking about how Rice doesn't have the career numbers to get in and that his personality has nothing to do with it. It seemed like I was in bizzaro sports world for a bit there.

:huh:

With Rice not getting in this year, given the overall weakness of the class, he's going to be hard pressed to ever get in via the baseball writers. He needs to start working that veteran's committee.

Bruce is hawt.

Didn't he revolutionize the split finger? Didn't he make it popular?

If that's the case, for that alone, he should be in.

Numb1075 said:
Bruce is hawt.

Didn't he revolutionize the split finger? Didn't he make it popular?

If that's the case, for that alone, he should be in.

I think the point being made, he played in St.Louis.

Rice played in Boston.

And someone is still bitter about the shame that was the 2004 WS.

randhail said:

With Rice not getting in this year, given the overall weakness of the class, he's going to be hard pressed to ever get in via the baseball writers. He needs to start working that veteran's committee.
Clearly Rice's only chance now is the veteran's committee.
But I think Rice doesn't care, much like his attitude towards the press in his playing days.
Good for him.
Though I hope he gets in, he deserves it.

have ya checked his home/road splits

larry walker had great stats but wont make it cause he played at coors, same thing

Did you just compare Jim Rice to Larry Walker?

My friend, you are too young to have seen Jim Rice play. I am not.
There is absolutely no compariosn of the 2.

Hewson said:
Did you just compare Jim Rice to Larry Walker?

My friend, you are too young to have seen Jim Rice play. I am not.
There is absolutely no compariosn of the 2.

im comparing using their homefield park to inflate their numbers. look at larry walkers numbers inside coors and outside, look at rices numbers inside fenway and outside. they both took advantage of hitter friendly parks, thats all im saying.

take a look at his peak seasons, 1977-79

the home/ road splits are almost comical

HOME: 27 /.321/ .375 / .683
AWAY: 12 / .319 / .377 / .509

HOME: 28 / .361/ .416/ .690
AWAY: 18 / .269 / .325 / .512

HOME: 27 / .369 / .425 / .728
AWAY: 12 / .283 / .337 / .427

overall, in his career he hit 43 points higher at Fenway than elsewhere, had an OBP 43 points higher at Fenway than elsewhere; had a SLG that was 87 points higher at Fenway than on the road

Home: .320/.374/.546
Road: .277/.330/.459

would you vote in a guy with .277/.330/.459 numbers into the hall of fame? well thats what he hit for in every ballpark except fenway.

Last edited:
So do you think Wade Boggs should therefore be removed from the HoF?

And while Fenway has some advantages for certain style hitters, I don't think comparing to to the advantage hitters gain in Coors Field is quite equitable.

and the walker comparison isnt thaaaat far off looking at the numbers, and considering they both used their home park to their advantage:

Rice

Avg -- .298
HR -- 382
OBP -- .352
SLG -- .502
OPS -- .854

Walker

Avg -- .313
HR -- 383
OBP -- .400
SLG -- .565
OPS -- .965

and yes i realize walker was in a more offensive time for baseball, but he injuries also cost him a few seasons. imagine the numbers he would have put up if healthy.

Hewson said:
So do you think Wade Boggs should therefore be removed from the HoF?

And while Fenway has some advantages for certain style hitters, I don't think comparing to to the advantage hitters gain in Coors Field is quite equitable.

the fact is he hit over 40 points higher at home than on the road. its hard for even people who play at coors to pull that off. sure you can say its smart of him to use the ballpark to his advantage, but as we can see the from the numbers it helped him big time and maybe if he wasnt a red sock he wouldnt have put up those numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom