MLB 2K5 Down the Stretch Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess if you're a pitcher who left the Red Sox this past offseason, the in thing to do is hook up with a female sportscatser. Of course someone forgot to remind Derek Lowe that he was already married. :ohmy:

Re: Re: Ramblings

Hewson said:

So what about when rel;evers like Dennis Eckersley and Willi Hernandez won the MVP? They don't even bat!! How can they possibly be most valuable without toching a bat?

There is no reason a DH can't win the award, right now its a 2 horse race with ARod and Ortiz, ARod playing the field is an advantage, but it currently is evened out by Ortiz' propensity for dramatic game winning hits (As a Yankee fan you should remember that well from extra inning games 4 and 5 of the ALCS).
The AL MVP will be decided over the next 17 days.

By your logic, a late september call up who gets 10 Ab, and 4 singles would thus be eligible for tha batting title and be the first player to officially hit .400 since Ted "Don't freeze my head" Williams.
Cliff Politte is batting 1.000, he should win the title before Polanco, right.
Polanco switched leagues, doesn't have enough AB to qualify for the title, end of story.

for your info it is PLATE APPERANCES not At bats which count towards the title, 502 to be exact, so that bull you wrote above if just that. Since the leagues now play each other during the season the rule should be changed.
as for mvp I never said anything about pitchers. that bum ortiz just need a little chin music to get his fat ass off the plate, then he won't hit anything. the only place that this BS talk goes on is in mass. heck I'd put Wickman from cleve up there with 41 saves.

Re: Ramblings

Imarocker said:

one note: since the AL has some DUMBASS rule that they don't count AB's from the NL, Placido Polnaco who has the HIGHEST AVG in the AL, 3rd overall in MLB can't be awarded the batting title. Since there is interleague play its time to change the rule....

Playoff predictions to come....stay tuned

You should give Jayson Stark some credit if you're going to take his material.

Re: Re: Re: Ramblings

Imarocker said:

for your info it is PLATE APPERANCES not At bats which count towards the title, 502 to be exact, so that bull you wrote above if just that. Since the leagues now play each other during the season the rule should be changed.
I'm well aware that its plate apppearances, just didn't want to complicate the equation for you...guess what Placido Polanco doesn't have enough plate appearances to qualify for the AL batting title.

as for mvp I never said anything about pitchers. that bum ortiz just need a little chin music to get his fat ass off the plate, then he won't hit anything. the only place that this BS talk goes on is in mass. heck I'd put Wickman from cleve up there with 41 saves.
You argue that a DH can't win MVP since he doesn't play the field, but you don't use the same logic to eliminate pitchers, who don't bat. Lets use Eckersley in '92 for some reality check:
He appeared in 69 games, thats 43% of the team's games.
He pithed 80 innings, that means he was on the field for about 5% of the time for the entire season.
He won MVP.
Ortiz has played in 143 of the Red Sox 146 games so far. Thats 98%.
He has played the field in the interleague games for whatever thats worth.

The argument that a DH can't win the MVP but a closer can holds no water, you can't have it both ways my friend.

If Ortiz' numbers are desrving, he should win the MVP. DH is a reality in the AL, its an everyday position, its even now on the all star ballot. Welcome to baseball post 1973.

Interesting numbers courtesy of the sons of sam horn:

--------- David Ortiz ---------
Margin PA BA OBP SA OPS
1 – 2* 261 .318 .418 .701 1.119
3 to 5 232 .318 .422 .552 .974
6 or more 153 .231 .320 .515 .835

---- Alex Rodriguez ---------
PA BA OBP SA OPS
1 – 2* 248 .255 .347 .463 .810
3 to 5 237 .323 .447 .599 1.046
6 or more 148 .420 .486 .809 1.295

Based on those numbers alone, Ortiz is the clear winner. He dominates Arod when the game is close and Arod only passes him during garbage time when the outcome of the game is already clear.

fair-weather fan [from 'bandwagon', a political term for a suddenly successful political campaign, and its tendency to attract adherents]

Only root for the team when they are winning.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ramblings

Hewson said:
I'm well aware that its plate apppearances, just didn't want to complicate the equation for you...guess what Placido Polanco doesn't have enough plate appearances to qualify for the AL batting title.

You argue that a DH can't win MVP since he doesn't play the field, but you don't use the same logic to eliminate pitchers, who don't bat. Lets use Eckersley in '92 for some reality check:
He appeared in 69 games, thats 43% of the team's games.
He pithed 80 innings, that means he was on the field for about 5% of the time for the entire season.
He won MVP.
All Polanco needs is about 20 apperances & he'll qualify. I never argued that a DH can't be MVP, I don't think its a position. I'd like to see it eliminated so all the dinosaurs hanging on will have to QUIT.
Go back to Eck's stats & tell me out of how many of those games did he save??? probably about 95% or more.
as far as educating me you got a long way to go Skippy

randhail said:
fair-weather fan [from 'bandwagon', a political term for a suddenly successful political campaign, and its tendency to attract adherents]

Only root for the team when they are winning.

I root for the team all the time. Why would I post here 'go NY' when the team is losing and was 5 games behind the Red Sox? So I could get bashed and had to defend the Yankees?

You should not conclude about how often someone roots for a certain team by the timing they use to post in a certain forum.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ramblings

Imarocker said:
[
All Polanco needs is about 20 apperances & he'll qualify. I never argued that a DH can't be MVP, I don't think its a position. I'd like to see it eliminated so all the dinosaurs hanging on will have to QUIT.
Polanco has 293AB abd 18BB with the Tigers, thats 311 plate appearances not counting sacrifeces and sac flies, so he needs somehwere around 185-190 plate appearnces to qualify for the AL batting title, not 20.

Go back to Eck's stats & tell me out of how many of those games did he save??? probably about 95% or more.
51 saves in 69 appearances, 74%, not 95% or more.

as far as educating me you got a long way to go Skippy
No doubt about that...a long long way :wink:

you forgot his apperances in the NL

I was just guessing with eck, don't have time to look up everything, I got a real job unlike you

Imarocker said:
you forgot his apperances in the NL
As I've been trying to illustrate, those appearances do not count for the American League batting crown.
Again as I said before, without these restrictions in place, Cliff Politte's batting avg of 1.000 would win the AL batting race.

Imarocker said:

I was just guessing with eck, don't have time to look up everything, I got a real job unlike you
Thats a great comeback.
You know nothing about my job, but rest assured its quite real. I'll wager I've been at it a lot longer than you have yours as well.
If you can't keep uninformed petty personal attacks out of your posts, and have a reasonable discussion, please refrain from responding to me.

And I didn't need to look up the 51 saves number, remembered it quite clearly.

Last edited:
you know if you had read my first post, that's what it was about.
The AL not counting those apperances when they should.

[one note: since the AL has some DUMBASS rule that they don't count AB's from the NL, Placido Polnaco who has the HIGHEST AVG in the AL, 3rd overall in MLB can't be awarded the batting title. Since there is interleague play its time to change the rule....]

:huh:

I did read your first Jayson Stark lifted comments, if you paid attention, you'd realize there need be some restrictions in place, thats what I've been trying to explain. Polanco can't use NL appearances for the AL, just like a guy can't claim the batting title for going 1 for 1 as Politte has this season. I know thats an extreme example, but its necessary in this case for illustration.

Lets say in 2006, David Ortiz hits 28 homers for the Red Sox by July 31, then gets traded to the Cardinals to shore up their 1st base defense, hits another 17 in August and September...the league leader in Home Runs is Jose Reyes (hey he's having a power surge lately) with 44.
Should Ortiz then be the 2006 NL homerun champ? (And also gold glover at first base?)
Think about it.

I talked about this weeks ago before Jason whoever?? my point is since interleague play is in effect & those stats count vs each other, why penalize a guy for being traded? if he has the best average, most HR's
gold gloves are voted by the players/managers so that should apply too.
you still would have to appear 502 times total.

But the point is they are league awards, and he needs to lead the particular league in a category.
If they ever decide to hand out awards just for MLB and not AL and NL, then Polanco would have enough appearances to qualify. (Rest assured the players will never go for this, it would cut the award winners in half, also halving the number of possible salary bonuses)
Of course when his averages from Philly and Detroit are combined, he wouldn't win the MLB batting crown, so no award anyway.

Interleague play has been a box office boon for many teams, its going nowhere.
The DH has been around for over 30 years, the game as a whole has become very specialized, with relieveres brought in for one batter a lot, so the likelihood of the DH being eliminated is slim.
Selig...we couldn't be so lucky as to have him resign. Maybe he should take over FEMA for Mike "we're working on that" Brown, it would strengthen 2 organizations.

Imarocker said:

That bum Ortiz has had a hell of a year, and they certainly aren't talking about him just here. That's why we see the raging MVP debate in columns at ESPN, cnnsi.com, etc.

Wickman, now there's a bum having a fluke year. Talk about a fat ass...

Imarocker said:

ya see what some time in massachusets will do to a person? and here you thought i was nuts... :wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
you mean the yankees and the white sox... who are on the verge of blowing a 15 game lead to the indians.

Actually, I believe when they were 15 games ahead, the Twins were in second. I think the Indians were two or three behind the Twins.

Gotta give credit to the Tribe!

randhail said:
Wickman could destroy a buffet table in either league.

One word: Wisconsin.

Back
Top Bottom