MLB 2014-15: It's Time for the HOT STOVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so this Fangraphs article is already out of date, due to the most recent news, but based on this paragraph and what just happened, I think the Marlin's are ULTRA-screwed on this deal:

Haren’s the most confusing player here. He’s due to make $10 million in 2015, and the Dodgers are agreeing to pay his full salary, but he’s also said that he’ll retire if he’s not around LA. So while Haren would be technically free for the Marlins, he might not throw a single pitch for the Marlins. Maybe he changes his mind. Maybe the Marlins turn around and send Haren to the Angels for something. Regardless, Haren looks like a functional starter, but not a valuable starter, and this trade isn’t about Haren. This is about the Marlins trying to find a long-term second baseman.
Trading him to the Angels may have been their best option, but now, do the Angels want him at all? :uhoh:

Marlins Pay Steep Price to Not Get Better | FanGraphs Baseball

EDIT: And here's their follow-up. No speculation on my question, but...http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/dodgers-flip-andrew-heaney-for-howie-kendrick/

God, it's so fun to watch these new Dodgers nerds work their magic...you can never fully tell just what their intentions are...our GM was hyping up Dee Gordon and saying he was immovable and fantastic a day before selling high on the guy. :lol:

In Summery (only officially Team Announced transactions are included in this):

MONDAY, DECEMBER 8

Chicago White Sox – Claimed C Rob Brantly off waivers from the Miami Marlins.
Cleveland Indians – Acquired OF Brandon Moss from the Oakland Athletics in exchange for 2B Joey Wendle.
Los Angeles Angels – Claimed OF Marc Krauss off waivers from the Houston Astros.
Pittsburgh Pirates – Claimed RHP Josh Lindblom off waivers from the Oakland Athletics.
Texas Rangers – Claimed LHP Scott Barnes off waivers from the Baltimore Orioles.
Toronto Blue Jays – Claimed 1B Chris Colabello off waivers from the Minnesota Twins.

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 9

Chicago Cubs – Acquired C Miguel Montero from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for RHP Zack Godley and RHP Jeferson Mejia.
Chicago White Sox – Acquired RHP Jeff Samardzija and RHP Michael Ynoa from the Oakland Athletics in exchange for RHP Chris Bassitt, C Josh Phegley, 3B Rangel Ravelo and SS Marcus Semien.
Los Angeles Angels – Acquired C Drew Butera from the Los Angeles Dodgers in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 10TH

Chicago White Sox – Acquired LHP Dan Jennings from the Miami Marlins in exchange for RHP Andre Rienzo.
Chicago White Sox – Signed free agent RHP David Robertson.
Los Angeles Angels – Acquired SS Josh Rutledge from the Colorado Rockies in exchange for RHP Jairo Diaz.
Los Angeles Dodgers – Acquired 2B Howie Kendrick from the Los Angeles Angels in exchange for LHP Andrew Heaney.
Miami Marlins – Acquired RHP Dan Haren, 2B Dee Gordon and SS Miguel Rojas from the Los Angeles
Dodgers in exchange for C Austin Barnes, RHP David Hatcher, LHP Andrew Heaney and SS Enrique Hernandez.
Pittsburgh Pirates – Acquired LHP Antonio Bastardo from the Philadelphia Phillies in exchange for LHP Joely Rodriguez.
San Diego Padres – Signed free agent SS Clint Barmes.

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 11

Detroit Tigers – Acquired RHP Alfredo Simon from the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for RHP Jonathon Crawford and INF Eugenio Suarez.
Detroit Tigers – Acquired OF Yoenis Cespedes, RHP Alex Wilson and LHP Gabe Speier from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for RHP Rick Porcello.
Miami Marlins – Acquired RHP Mat Latos from the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for RHP Anthony DeSclafani and C Chad Wallach.

Stockpiling #3 and #4 starters and outfielders...interesting strategy.

Miley, Masterson and Porcello are ground-ball pitchers (Masterson much more so than the other two). Maybe the front office is planning on using the savings from not signing Lester to purchase a silo full of Miracle-Gro.

Stockpiling #3 and #4 starters and outfielders...interesting strategy.

Boston bombed its strategy last spring mishandling Lester. But they're keeping some flexibility now and adding good risk arms. Cash still in the hole and all the good young talent still around. Not bad.

A legit #1 pitcher isn't far away.

This is just me personally, but I think the Tigers are the winners in the Cespedes/Porcello deal. I could be wrong, lord knows I've been before.

I'll go on record and say I'm a fan of both Marlin moves.

Heaney reminded a lot of Marlin fans of the Volstad type. Of course, only a good move if Haren plays.

But Mat Latos... that's exciting.

A lot of Marlins fans are jumping off cliffs over the Gordon trade. If Latos is healthy, that would be a good find though.

Really? Cuz I don't see one on the horizon.

Probably not Max or Shields. Maybe in a trade with say, Washington.

It sounds like teams have already put in offers for Hamels and could just wait out the Phillies until the trade deadline when they're still sucking.

Probably not Max or Shields. Maybe in a trade with say, Washington.

It sounds like teams have already put in offers for Hamels and could just wait out the Phillies until the trade deadline when they're still sucking.

The Phillies know they are gonna suck. Their front office has openly said the next two years are rebuilding years. That we will have a bad record at the deadline changes nothing.

A lot of Marlins fans are jumping off cliffs over the Gordon trade. If Latos is healthy, that would be a good find though.

How many do you know lol..

The only thing that annoys me is what Heaney was flipped for. We don't need Haren. Especially if he might not play.

The Phillies know they are gonna suck. Their front office has openly said the next two years are rebuilding years. That we will have a bad record at the deadline changes nothing.

There's a difference between Saying you're rebuilding and committing to rebuilding.

How many do you know lol..

The only thing that annoys me is what Heaney was flipped for. We don't need Haren. Especially if he might not play.

There's this wonderful thing out there called message boards. It's been almost all negative, from what I've read. :shrug:

There's a difference between Saying you're rebuilding and committing to rebuilding.
They've been committed to rebuilding since before they said they were rebuilding based on the moves they've been making. Hell, they traded Shane Victorino and Hunter Pence away at the deadline in 2012 for prospects. They just traded Jimmy Rollins and are actively shopping Cole Hamels. If Cliff Lee gets healthy and plays well, he's gone, and the right deal will send Chase Utley away too. I'm not sure what more they have to do to commit to rebuilding than they've already done.

The real issue the Phillies have is that they were the worst drafting team in Major League Baseball for essentially a decade, by a larger margin than most people thought even possible.

Extending Ryan Howard Is Not What Killed the Phillies – The Hardball Times

They traded a lot of prospects away to get Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Hunter Pence, but they've all almost uniformly sucked too.

This is the time of year that I wish I had a better knowledge of MLB as I have no clue what moves are actually good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom