MERGED ----> New Smashing Pumpkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrBrau1 said:

Nice.

This is going to be the most hated record of the year. Atease must have a boner the size of China for all the hate.

The single sounds better in high fidelity.

Actually, I just glanced at the thread for the single on Atease. And surprise - they like it. There are a few vocal haters, but many seem genuinely impressed and eager. And most agree that the full song and higher quality does magic for their opinion of it.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Siamese Dream is the band at their peak

OMG I'm so glad I finally bought this album about less than a year back! So many great songs on this one... Hummer is one of my favorites! :drool: But one song I can't get into yet is Silverfuck. I have to get Mellon Collie next. I've known all the hits off that one for years, just never bothered to get it.

Haven't really listened to the full version of the new song yet. Will do so now. :)

Zootlesque said:

I have to get Mellon Collie next. I've known all the hits off that one for years, just never bothered to get it.

Haven't really listened to the full version of the new song yet. Will do so now. :)

You definitely need Mellon Collie, Zoots...it's a sprawling double album in the very best tradition of sprawling double albums :wink:

I'm liking the new song. It actually reminds me a bit of Bodies, from Mellon Collie, with its intensity and driving guitar. The thing I'm noticing about Tarantula, however, is how confident Billy sounds.

Sounds pretty average, to me--neither horrible nor fantastic. All told, I find that to be pretty impressive, as I had forseen a bloodbath of untold proportions. It seems that I might be pleasantly surprised with none other than tried-and-true mediocrity. Hellz yeah, I suppose.

MrBrau1 said:
This is going to be the most hated record of the year.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt that this record will get the hatred of, say, Pullhair Rubeye. There's just no way it'll happen. Ever.

yeah, it's weird that atease actually likes it. i thought they hated music over there.

If you shout... said:
Sounds pretty average, to me--neither horrible nor fantastic.

Yeah same here. It's not in the same level of Siamese or Mellon Collie. But I liked it somewhat.

If you shout... said:
Sounds pretty average, to me--neither horrible nor fantastic. All told, I find that to be pretty impressive, as I had forseen a bloodbath of untold proportions.
same here

New Smashing Pumpkins

has leaked.

good stuff so far. only 2 tracks into it.

and for the record, i pre-ordered it on Itunes, so don't flame me for being a pirate. ;)

I downloaded this with no intention of listening just for the ratio boost on OiNK.
smielephantin7.gif

I had a dream the other night that this leaked...and here we are!

(On second thought, I could be dreaming right now...maybe I'll go to the fridge and pour juice over my head to see what happens.) :hmm:

Dream, or no dream, I'm resisting the overwhelming temptation...ala Icky Thump :drool:

I'm really liking "Zeitgeist". It's definitely one of their strongest and most consistent albums and may be the best album i've heard from 2007. Tracks 4 through 10 represent the best part of the album in my opinion.

Sometimes I can get bored of specific songs that are a little too long in length, but "United States" is an epic. "That's the way (my love is)" and"Starz" are the my favorites off of it.

And Jimmy Chamberlain definitely demonstrates why he's one of the premiere drummers out there. Just listen to his work in songs like "Tarantula" and "Starz". After Billy Corgan's panned solo album "TheFutureEmbrace" (which I actually did like), he shows that he still has it with "Zeitgeist".

Oh, that video did suck.

I've seen it before, minus the bad dress thing Corgan is wearing, and minus the horrible song...

Oh yeah, it was the video for White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane...

Exactly, BVS. (Nice new avatar, btw.)

Man, Billy gets all Enya on "Pomp and Circumstance."

Overall, I'm underwhelmed with this album, but I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and see if any of it's a grower. Some of it's alright, but it's just not "The Smashing Pumpkins."

Anyone catch the Live Earth performance tonight? I thought it started out brilliantly with that extended new song, but then got progressively worse. Billy's "Don't forget to buy our album" plug seemed ill-timed, given the circumstances. :(

I'm watching it now on MSN. It's sad the new guitarist couldn't start off "Today" right. I learned that song back in junior high . . .

Could have been worse. Nothing as awful as the worst of Machina I...however, there's also not a single "wow" moment on the entire record. 5/10

That's me being objective. Subjectively, I'd give it a 1 because it's not really the Smashing Pumpkins. :|

BigMacPhisto said:
Could have been worse. Nothing as awful as the worst of Machina I...however, there's also not a single "wow" moment on the entire record. 5/10

I agree that there aren't any 'wow' moments. Initially I really liked it. Now I'm finding that I'm not listening to it over and over again like other new albums. It is an average record. What would have really made the album better would have been the inclusion of Gossamer in two parts (i.e. Shine On You Crazy Diamonds.) That track is by far my favorite of the new songs. :drool:

I need to check out Gossamer, it'll probably be a b-side.

Machina 1 has some good tracks:

Stand Inside Your Love - one of my faves
Try, Try, Try
Wound
Age of Innocence

LemonMacPhisto said:
I need to check out Gossamer, it'll probably be a b-side.

The 20 minute live performances sound so amazing. I think United States and Gossamer would together create a real music experience. I think bookending the album with Gossamer and having United States in the middle would give the album a sense of structure.

Back
Top Bottom