MERGED--> ALL New Radiohead/Hail To The Thief Discussion Goes Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A great review from the Edinburgh show by some fan named Sally:

01. there there
02. 2+2=5
03. national anthem
04. lucky
05. backdrifts
06. sail to the moon
07. where i end and you begin
08. go to sleep
09. we suck young blood
10. no surprises
11. sit down stand up
12. pyramid song
13. paranoid android
14. my iron lung
15. idioteque
16. everything in it's right place

encore #1
17. the gloaming
18. wolf at the door
19. just
20. like spinning plates

encore #2
21. talk show host
22. karma police

The set was one song shorter than 'usual', but the band finally played 'Wolf at the Door' from the new album, 'Hail to the Thief'. 'My Iron Lung' and 'Like Spinning Plates' debuted as well on this tour.

Review by Sally:
Last night I think I reached a closer definition of what my heaven will consist of. I finally saw Radiohead, the band I have obsessed over for the past year, live for the first time in a small venue. I laughed, I cried, I hugged people, I punched people, I ruined someone's night by telling her that Jonny's married and has a child. (She looked genuinely heartbroken). And Thom smiled. A lot. I can honestly say I've never felt this way about a band before. For me, Radiohead really are the best band in the world.

We arrived there, after a lot of heartache at about 5pm. There were people queuing who had come over from Japan and America and had been waiting since the early hours of the morning. That is a good indication of what this band does to you. The mad rush to get to front was hilarious - and somehow my friend and I found ourselves in the second row, centre. Perfect viewing.

They kicked off with There There, and I can't begin to tell you how fantastic that song is live. I had my eyes glued to Thom virtually the whole time. (He is so tiny I couldn't believe it. He looked just like a pixie.) Then, towards the end, my eyes drifted off towards Ed. When I looked back at Thom, (I swear to you, I am NOT delusional - my friend saw it to) Thom was staring at me. I stared back and started grinning and laughing, and he gave a small smirk and looked away. Yes, in that split second Thom Yorke's eyes met mine.

Thom talked a lot to the audience - the funniest part being when he jokingly rebuked the crowd for wondering what the football scores were, and then saying something along the lines of "Well, they're in penalties now. What does that mean? Is that when they throw oranges.guess who knows nothing about football?" Completely adorable.

The whole night was fan-fucking-tastic. Highlights included Wolf at the Door (my favourite of the new songs) which involved Thom almost rapping, before reaching the most beautiful climax, My Iron Lung from The Bends, where the whole audience just rocked out and Thom's mad dancing during Idioteque. It looked as if he was pulling his hair out at one point. The first few notes of Lucky and the "rain down" part of Paranoid Android made me cry. They were so stunning. I can assure you that the new material is nothing less than brilliant. Sit Down Stand Up stand reached an intensity that you can't hear on the studio version, 2+2=5 has to be one of the best songs they've ever recorded, and Sail to the Moon is just plain beautiful. On the first encore, someone shouted "play Just!" and Thom, went, "alright then." And they did. And it was amazing. Jonny Greenwood is like a wonder child on that guitar. Then on their second encore, they played The Talk Show Host. I could have died. You will not hear anything sexier than Thom singing "FUCKING well come and find me." They ended on what is quite possible my favourite Radiohead track, Karma Police, which literally brought a tear to my eye. Everyone singing "Phew, for a minute there, I lost myself" was the most poignant, yet uplifting part of the night for me.

Just go and see them. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. They'll save a lot of lives, they've already saved mine. EVERYBODY NEEDS THIS BAND IN THEIR LIFE. It's not a gig, it's an EXPERIENCE. And you need to be a part of it.

Thank you Radiohead :)

Long live Thom Yorke!

(sally)

HeadsOnSticks said:
A great review from the Edinburgh show by some fan named Sally:

01. there there
02. 2+2=5
03. national anthem
04. lucky
05. backdrifts
06. sail to the moon
07. where i end and you begin
08. go to sleep
09. we suck young blood
10. no surprises
11. sit down stand up
12. pyramid song
13. paranoid android
14. my iron lung
15. idioteque
16. everything in it's right place

encore #1
17. the gloaming
18. wolf at the door
19. just
20. like spinning plates

encore #2
21. talk show host
22. karma police

The set was one song shorter than 'usual', but the band finally played 'Wolf at the Door' from the new album, 'Hail to the Thief'. 'My Iron Lung' and 'Like Spinning Plates' debuted as well on this tour.

Review by Sally:
Last night I think I reached a closer definition of what my heaven will consist of. I finally saw Radiohead, the band I have obsessed over for the past year, live for the first time in a small venue. I laughed, I cried, I hugged people, I punched people, I ruined someone's night by telling her that Jonny's married and has a child. (She looked genuinely heartbroken). And Thom smiled. A lot. I can honestly say I've never felt this way about a band before. For me, Radiohead really are the best band in the world.

We arrived there, after a lot of heartache at about 5pm. There were people queuing who had come over from Japan and America and had been waiting since the early hours of the morning. That is a good indication of what this band does to you. The mad rush to get to front was hilarious - and somehow my friend and I found ourselves in the second row, centre. Perfect viewing.

They kicked off with There There, and I can't begin to tell you how fantastic that song is live. I had my eyes glued to Thom virtually the whole time. (He is so tiny I couldn't believe it. He looked just like a pixie.) Then, towards the end, my eyes drifted off towards Ed. When I looked back at Thom, (I swear to you, I am NOT delusional - my friend saw it to) Thom was staring at me. I stared back and started grinning and laughing, and he gave a small smirk and looked away. Yes, in that split second Thom Yorke's eyes met mine.

Thom talked a lot to the audience - the funniest part being when he jokingly rebuked the crowd for wondering what the football scores were, and then saying something along the lines of "Well, they're in penalties now. What does that mean? Is that when they throw oranges.guess who knows nothing about football?" Completely adorable.

The whole night was fan-fucking-tastic. Highlights included Wolf at the Door (my favourite of the new songs) which involved Thom almost rapping, before reaching the most beautiful climax, My Iron Lung from The Bends, where the whole audience just rocked out and Thom's mad dancing during Idioteque. It looked as if he was pulling his hair out at one point. The first few notes of Lucky and the "rain down" part of Paranoid Android made me cry. They were so stunning. I can assure you that the new material is nothing less than brilliant. Sit Down Stand Up stand reached an intensity that you can't hear on the studio version, 2+2=5 has to be one of the best songs they've ever recorded, and Sail to the Moon is just plain beautiful. On the first encore, someone shouted "play Just!" and Thom, went, "alright then." And they did. And it was amazing. Jonny Greenwood is like a wonder child on that guitar. Then on their second encore, they played The Talk Show Host. I could have died. You will not hear anything sexier than Thom singing "FUCKING well come and find me." They ended on what is quite possible my favourite Radiohead track, Karma Police, which literally brought a tear to my eye. Everyone singing "Phew, for a minute there, I lost myself" was the most poignant, yet uplifting part of the night for me.

Just go and see them. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. They'll save a lot of lives, they've already saved mine. EVERYBODY NEEDS THIS BAND IN THEIR LIFE. It's not a gig, it's an EXPERIENCE. And you need to be a part of it.

Thank you Radiohead :)

Long live Thom Yorke!

(sally)

thats a great review. sounds like she (maybe) had a good time.

i cant wait for june 5.

Last night everyone sang happy birthday to Phil in Manchester.....heres the setlist

In Manchester Radiohead changed their set again, to:
'There There'
'2+2=5'
'The National Anthem'
'Morning Bell'
'Lucky'
'Backdrifts'
'Sail To The Moon'
'Sit Down. Stand Up'
'Scatterbrain'
'Kid A'
'No Surprises'
'Myxomatosis'
'We Suck Young Blood'
'Paranoid Android'
'My Iron Lung'
'Idioteque'
'Everything In It's Right Place'
'The Gloaming'
'I Might Be Wrong'
'Just'
'The Tourist'
'Talk Show Host'
'Fake Plastic Trees'

In case anyone is interested, I saw an ad for this on mtv2 while vaccuming. Went on the mtv web site found this:
****The Leak: Radiohead Starts June 2nd
Preview 'Hail To The Thief' before it hits stores

thanks sue, thats kind. they had the same thing for kid a on mtv when it first came out in october of 2000.

yertle, there setlits have been pretty good so far, except i cant understand why theyre playing kid a all the time now. give me airbag fake plastic trees and my iron lung every show and whatever else is just fine.

He did say that, he basically was talking about how they respect them greatly as a band and how they didnt want to disrespect bands like the Stones, but they havent put out a good album since 1972.
They also cited The Smiths, Pixies and U2 as thier biggest influences...

I think u2 and radiohead are in love now......and it excites me..

I just bought the There, There EP

it has Paper Back Writer on it!

I can't wait to get home and here it!

Elvis Presley said:
He did say that, he basically was talking about how they respect them greatly as a band and how they didnt want to disrespect bands like the Stones, but they havent put out a good album since 1972.
They also cited The Smiths, Pixies and U2 as thier biggest influences...

I think u2 and radiohead are in love now......and it excites me..

This is awesome. Possibly the best thing EP has ever posted?

Who knows.

not to mention, atease sure looks purty these days......

Noel comments on Radiohead

Oasis' Noel Gallagher commented on the new Radiohead sound, saying, "I heard the single. I like it because it doesn't annoy me. But then again with Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood in a band, they're going to be great, put them together and you get genius."

"But I don't get the whole angst thing," he mused. "I don't likeThe Vines, except for 'Get Free' - great track, but what have they got to be pissed off about? They live in Sydney, the most beautiful city in the word. The Coral come from Liverpool and they have the right to be pissed off, but they write beautiful songs about how great life could be - they are geniuses.

"Radiohead have sold twenty million albums and they're still miserable? I can tell you from personal experience - it's not that bad. Trust me."

Back
Top Bottom