Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dalton said:

I have a half sister that is 15. She's the reason why I don't know how to raise a daughter. She's gone crazy in the last 12 months.

I don't think anybody knows how to raise a teenage girl. Just do the best you can until then, cross your fingers, and then do the best you can after.

phillyfan26 said:

I think everyone goes crazy to a certain extent in their teens. How bad has she been?

Drugs, terrible grades have been the outward issues, but she is SO angry all the time. That's my major concern. Thankfully she and I have always been pretty close, so she still lets me slap her around a bit and bring her back to her senses.

mia disappeared but i'm listening to ani's canon that she linked me to...:drool: but i have to say i love her older political stuff and self righteous but some of the recent stuff isn't as good...i dunno why

Screwtape2 said:

How did you come to realize this interested you?

kinda always has in one form or another. i'm specifically interested in post conflict development and refugee issues...always had an interest in conflict, really cemented during the last year of high school, and the refugee thing came when i worked in a camp in ghana (that i hope to go back to) 3 summers ago.

Dalton said:
Drugs, terrible grades have been the outward issues, but she is SO angry all the time. That's my major concern. Thankfully she and I have always been pretty close, so she still lets me slap her around a bit and bring her back to her senses.

My brothers don't give a tuppeny fuck about what I have to say.

My 15-year-old brother and I have never gotten along very well. While he gets good grades and is remarkably clean, he's overly introverted and, I think, borderline depressed. He's very reactionary in everything he does: Nova loses a big game, his head's in the oven for the rest of the day. And he takes it out on everyone.

He resents me for acting too parental in my criticisms of him (which are generally reasonable, i.e.: stop being a dick to the younger brothers).

I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I guess I'm trying to say, it's good that you two are close and that she allows you to tell her what's what.

Varitek said:

kinda always has in one form or another. i'm specifically interested in post conflict development and refugee issues...always had an interest in conflict, really cemented during the last year of high school, and the refugee thing came when i worked in a camp in ghana (that i hope to go back to) 3 summers ago.

That's really cool. I'm geeky in that I love to hear about how people come to choose their majors. :up:

Dalton said:
plus you used the phrase 'tuppeny fuck". There's that.

Here's the thing: I don't give a tuppeny fuck about your moral conundrum, you meat-headed shit sack.

That's more or less the thing.

phillyfan26 said:

My brothers don't give a tuppeny fuck about what I have to say.

My 15-year-old brother and I have never gotten along very well. While he gets good grades and is remarkably clean, he's overly introverted and, I think, borderline depressed. He's very reactionary in everything he does: Nova loses a big game, his head's in the oven for the rest of the day. And he takes it out on everyone.

He resents me for acting too parental in my criticisms of him (which are generally reasonable, i.e.: stop being a dick to the younger brothers).

I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I guess I'm trying to say, it's good that you two are close and that she allows you to tell her what's what.

my little sister and i don't get along either. we are polar opposites, and not in the me and screwtape way either. :shrug: maybe some day we'll get along but lots of people said we would by this age and it still hasn't happened. whenever i'm home she resents my presence - competition for the tv, parents' attention, etc.

phillyfan26 said:

He sounds like a tortured intellectual. :wink:

Varitek said:
my little sister and i don't get along either. we are polar opposites, and not in the me and screwtape way either. :shrug: maybe some day we'll get along but lots of people said we would by this age and it still hasn't happened. whenever i'm home she resents my presence - competition for the tv, parents' attention, etc.

I'm outgoing, he's a recluse; I spend time playing music and hanging with friends, he spends it in his room watching basketball or doing homework; he's tall, I'm short; his hair's short, mine's long; he's a math and science guy, I'm an English and history guy.

We're pretty different.

Varitek said:

You are an amazing person and maybe your younger sister resents that you are doing so well. It could be really hard for her to reach your level of success. :shrug: If that is the case, I feel for both of you. :hug:

phillyfan26 said:

I'm outgoing, he's a recluse; I spend time playing music and hanging with friends, he spends it in his room watching basketball or doing homework; he's tall, I'm short; his hair's short, mine's long; he's a math and science guy, I'm an English and history guy.

We're pretty different.

I'm cynnical and practical, she's a hypcondriac who exagerates everything and a drama queen, i like baseball, art museums, etc and she likes mtv/bet/pop culture. our television arguments are me wanting to watch sports or a good tv show and her wanting to watch a dvr'd vh1 music awards or somesuch. we can agree on the simpsons sometimes.

Dalton said:

You do NOT want to compare sicknesses. I've consumed so many cough drops the last 8 weeks that I think I have permanently damaged my sense of taste.

exhaling through my nose causes a loud goose-like honking sound. I am gonna have to seriously medicate if I see this guy tomorrow. also my voice is super hoarse but some might find that sexy.

Varitek said:

I'm cynnical and practical, she's a hypcondriac who exagerates everything and a drama queen, i like baseball, art museums, etc and she likes mtv/bet/pop culture. our television arguments are me wanting to watch sports or a good tv show and her wanting to watch a dvr'd vh1 music awards or somesuch. we can agree on the simpsons sometimes.

ha ha ha ha ha

you're holding back. You didn't once talk about who's prettier. Me thinks that comes up in the arguments, no?

Dalton said:

ha ha ha ha ha

you're holding back. You didn't once talk about who's prettier. Me thinks that comes up in the arguments, no?

She's fairly pretty, I'm probably prettier. That's never been an issue,, though screwtape is right that i'm smarter/a higher achiever than her.

Even if I was good looking (I don't have a fucking clue how to rate myself), my small stature and muscle build makes me unappealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom