Live Earth on the Mall in D.C.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No spoken words said:
I saw the Police last night and thought they were great, anything but boring....but, hey, opinions will vary.

It's probably different when you're there, and when you're seeing a full show. All that these Live [Insert Cause Here] shows give is a tidbit. I'd love to see The Police live, even though I'm not a terribly big fan. :up:

GibsonGirl said:

Ah, but this isn't anything like his tour. Seriously, the tour far outstrips what you saw tonight. Check out this video I got: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOK-FyAllEI And watch this video someone got of On The Run, keep watching until you see the rainbow spiralling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rebjhlr7vzU

It is WELL worth the money.

Shit, that was something! :drool: I love how the band are silhouetted against the orange at the end...you were so close to the stage in your video! Pretty amazing :up:

LemonMelon said:

David > Roger, but, without Roger, there is no Pink Floyd. He is their edge. :sad:

The Police...played well, but there was too much jamming and screwing around. :down: Booooring.

Roger really should have closed it. :yes:

Roger is great...but I've always been a David fan

quiz1228outcome2.jpg

:bow:

GibsonGirl said:

It's probably different when you're there, and when you're seeing a full show. All that these Live [Insert Cause Here] shows give is a tidbit. I'd love to see The Police live, even though I'm not a terribly big fan. :up:

Oh, it better be different in person as opposed to watching on a TV set. :)

There were definitely a few songs that they reworked to the detriment of the tune, but a few others they reworked that seemed better to me than the original version. I think that for me, there was also the added nostalgia element, since I started to like them when they were actually making music, as opposed to discovering them later in life.

The more I type in this thread, the more pissed I'm getting that I saw none of the day's acts.

angelordevil said:

Shit, that was something! :drool: I love how the band are silhouetted against the orange at the end...you were so close to the stage in your video! Pretty amazing :up:

Sixth effing row, yeah! :rockon: And front row centre for the encore! It was pretty much the greatest show I've ever seen and will ever see. Unless Pink Floyd reform, of course. This video is even cooler, because you see the pig, Roger smiling at the pig, me screaming like a lunatic, and shouting ROGERRRRRR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F3jHF7TOq8

:lol: :love:

GibsonGirl said:

For me, a show is not only about the music, it's about the performance and how much the performer gives back to the audience. I've seen videos of Dave's tour. He just stands there. Plays and sings tremendously well, granted, but when I go to a show, I want to see the performer giving it his all and enjoying himself. I wouldn't trade having Roger Waters smiling at me from front row while we sang the chorus of Comfortably Numb together for any Gilmour guitar solo, no matter how good.

I can completely understand that. :up: I agree that Roger interacts to a much greater extent with the audience. At one point in the Gilmour show I saw, just prior to an acoustic guitar part, David actually shushed the crowd. :lol: When he plays, he tends to get lost in it I think, he closes his eyes, or gets that faraway look that great blues guitarists tend to get. He may not even be aware that there's an audience there.

I probably came off sounding like I think Roger is satan or something, and that's certainly not the case. I obviously love them as a complete band - that's the ideal state of things. But solo, I just prefer David. Unfortunately, Roger's voice just rubs me the wrong way the way he currently sings many songs to the extent that I find them hard to enjoy. That doesn't diminish his previous work to me at all, though.

GibsonGirl said:

Sixth effing row, yeah! :rockon: And front row centre for the encore! It was pretty much the greatest show I've ever seen and will ever see. Unless Pink Floyd reform, of course. This video is even cooler, because you see the pig, Roger smiling at the pig, me screaming like a lunatic, and shouting ROGERRRRRR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F3jHF7TOq8

damn he played sheep :drool:

did he ever play careful with that axe....?

I'd love to hear that :drool:

No spoken words said:

Oh, it better be different in person as opposed to watching on a TV set. :)

There were definitely a few songs that they reworked to the detriment of the tune, but a few others they reworked that seemed better to me than the original version. I think that for me, there was also the added nostalgia element, since I started to like them when they were actually making music, as opposed to discovering them later in life.

The more I type in this thread, the more pissed I'm getting that I saw none of the day's acts.

they have been replaying all the performances at each location over and over.. I am sure you can catch what ya missed.. check the online feeds thru http://liveearth.msn.com

I know this must have been asked by now but I can't find it. Why didn't u2 do this show? You would think it'd be right up their alley.

Butterscotch said:
I know this must have been asked by now but I can't find it. Why didn't u2 do this show? You would think it'd be right up their alley.

Bono cares more for the starving children of Africa...not the earth

:wink:

Butterscotch said:

The polar ice caps don't have AIDS.

There were less than 5 memorable performances.
The Police were one. Madonna another.

Those disappointed are just douches.

This was so far underneath Live 8, it's regretable to say.

Roger Waters, he was pretty cool, among the highlights. Then compare it to the Live 8 performance with Gilmour..............

It just wasn't near as good.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
oh and Madonna in my book can't do anything wrong. :drool: After I see The Police in November, she and Prince will be the last two artists I want to see perform live before I die.

Prince is one of the very few performers I've not seen who I'd still like to see. The Who, despite not quite being the Who anymore, are on that list as well. The Police were, now they're crossed off.

VintagePunk said:
I can completely understand that. :up: I agree that Roger interacts to a much greater extent with the audience. At one point in the Gilmour show I saw, just prior to an acoustic guitar part, David actually shushed the crowd. :lol: When he plays, he tends to get lost in it I think, he closes his eyes, or gets that faraway look that great blues guitarists tend to get. He may not even be aware that there's an audience there.

I probably came off sounding like I think Roger is satan or something, and that's certainly not the case. I obviously love them as a complete band - that's the ideal state of things. But solo, I just prefer David. Unfortunately, Roger's voice just rubs me the wrong way the way he currently sings many songs to the extent that I find them hard to enjoy. That doesn't diminish his previous work to me at all, though.

Definitely. Could you imagine one last Floyd tour? Gilmour's musicianship and Waters' love of the audience all rolled into one...would be out of this world.

I can see how you wouldn't like the tour vocal-wise. I'd be lying if I said I sometimes didn't wish I was hearing Gilmour/Wright instead of Carin/Kilminster on something like Breathe, those two times I saw Roger. But again, a live show means different things for different people. For me, the vocals are not a huge issue at all, it's more about enjoying the show and seeing a legend on his (probably) last tour ever.

VintagePunk said:

If you would have agreed to be my sugar daddy, I would have gone with you last night. :( I don't feel nearly the moral outrage if someone else buys my ticket. ;)

If you lived within driving distance, you'd have been there. :)

GibsonGirl said:

Haha! That was great...nice scream! He definitely seemed into the performance, feeding off the lunatics in the crowd :wink:

*browneyedgirl* said:
this concert has been crazy, different countries, time zones, tv channels, internet live feeds :crazy:

I'm sure they'll also archive much of this on the main website, so it should be easy to navigate through what you want to see...on top of this, there's bound to be copious amounts on youtube.

GibsonGirl said:

The polar ice caps don't have AIDS.

:lol:

U2 should have played...I'll bet they were worried about getting their messages mixed up in the public eye. They probably had high-end meetings about it.

Back
Top Bottom