Let's Play A Game: Name as many One-Hit Wonders as you can ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jick, Collective Soul have had several tracks chart in the(modern rock) top 10, as recently as last month, with "Counting The Days"..."December" probably was their biggest hit, and it's not the one you mentioned....therefore giving them more than one "hit"...With that in mind,I'm going to throw U2's name into the mix, with their hit....hmmmm, fuck it....let's go with "With Or Without You".

Whatever happened to those drunk Irish micks?

wow sallycinnamon, you sure showed me LOL...well i'm done now, those were all the ones i could think of...i guess i'm just too young to remember all those crazy 80's songs:wink:

"the calling-wherever you will go" this was a great song, the colorado avalanche's theme song when they won the cup on 2001, but they do have a new album out, with a song that i have heard on top 40 radio a few times that i believe is called "our lives" or something...i was friends with a girl this summer who was REALLY into the calling:huh:

Tania said:
The Knack - My Shrona
Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy
Shakespears Sister - Stay
Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart
Snow - Informer

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I reckon (as someone else pointed out) that the definition of 'one hit wonder' in the context that we're using, varies according to the success of the bands' singles in different countries.

Again, talking about the UK:

Right Said Fred: I'm Too Sexy, Deeply Dippy, Bumped, Stick It Out (!!!), Don't Talk Just Kiss, Up.

Shakespears Sister: You're History, Stay, Hello (Turn Your Radio On), My 16th Apology

shrmn8rpoptart said:
wow sallycinnamon, you sure showed me LOL...well i'm done now, those were all the ones i could think of...i guess i'm just too young to remember all those crazy 80's songs:wink:

"the calling-wherever you will go" this was a great song, the colorado avalanche's theme song when they won the cup on 2001, but they do have a new album out, with a song that i have heard on top 40 radio a few times that i believe is called "our lives" or something...i was friends with a girl this summer who was REALLY into the calling:huh:
Lol sorry, didn't mean to seem rude in my posts - having a bad time at the mo. Getting far too old! ;)

phanan said:

Kriss Kross - I think they had a few other songs, but since I never listened to them, I don't know for sure.

I remember their song Warm It Up doing pretty well while I was in the States - I was 13 then and my classmates used to sing it! Now that really was scary. :huh: Consider yourself lucky not to have listened to them!

Last edited:
"Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind Hey Mickey...*clap clap*..Hey Mickey"

Sorry...couldn't help but sing when this song popped into my head. ;)
Tony Basil didn't record anymore songs after that did she?

sallycinnamon78 said:

I reckon (as someone else pointed out) that the definition of 'one hit wonder' in the context that we're using, varies according to the success of the bands' singles in different countries.

Again, talking about the UK:

Right Said Fred: I'm Too Sexy, Deeply Dippy, Bumped, Stick It Out (!!!), Don't Talk Just Kiss, Up.

Yeah, it depends on where you are of course, but in the U.S., that was definitely the only hit RSF had. Thankfully.

SoBe said:
"Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind Hey Mickey...*clap clap*..Hey Mickey"

Sorry...couldn't help but sing when this song popped into my head. ;)
Tony Basil didn't record anymore songs after that did she?

I can't remember... but, based on my meories of singing Hey Mickey when I was 4, I sincerely hope not.

Acrobat_Al said:

OOHHH YEAAHH!

I didnt remember that one!

the video is excellent!!

:up:

Heh, yes, the video was quite amusing. As for the music...

phanan said:

Yeah, it depends on where you are of course, but in the U.S., that was definitely the only hit RSF had. Thankfully.

:lol:
I thought they were quite amusing, in a scary sort of way. I think they were a bit of fun that probably went a bit too far. Considering that, in the UK, we had to put up with the likes of Take That, RSF were a welcome relief!

sallycinnamon78 said:
Considering that, in the UK, we had to put up with the likes of Take That
oh god you reminded me of them!! i think take that were a one-hit wonder in the states. all i remember by them was "back to good" or something. one guy was kneeling in the rain with his shirt ripped open? oh god that is such a boy band cliche. robbie williams is a two-hit wonder over here, with millenium and angels. i remember hearing when duran duran opened for him in australia. a lot of us were like...what? and then we found out he's actually quite popular still everywhere but america.

i can seem to take anything and make it relate to duran duran somehow. :laugh: :huh:

I'm sorry, but I've inadvertently opened of the can of worms marked "Take That".

Actually.. I must admit, Back For Good was a good song. Sadly it was not reflective of most of the music of "The That" ( as they were called for a fair while here). They had one other good song in my opinion, which was Never Forget.

Over here in the UK, almost everyone was saying how Gary Barlow would become the new George Michael. When this was said, it seemed that the majority of the "Great" British public had forgotten how shite the majority of his lyrics were:

A Million Love Songs
Put your head against my life (?!?!?!)
What do you hear?
A million words just trying to make,
the love song of the year.

Then of course Robbie Williams emerged from nowhere. And stayed. :ohmy: He can be an annoying little sod but he is quite funny.

phanan said:

Everything But The Girl - Missing

The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

Everything But The Girl were very high in the charts with their version of I Don't Wanna Talk About It... I think this was in 1988.

The Proclaimers came to prominence via their earlier single Letter From America, which also sold well... it was either 1987 or 1988 - I'm not certain which.

KhanadaRhodes said:

oh god you reminded me of them!! i think take that were a one-hit wonder in the states. all i remember by them was "back to good" or something. one guy was kneeling in the rain with his shirt ripped open?

Nope - that would have been the video for Pray, the single released here in 1993. I'm rather ashamed to admit that, during my teens, I had a fondness for Take That. :reject: Lol.

IWasBored said:
deep blue something...?

is that what the people who did that song were called?

how about that "if you want to buy me flowers, then go ahead now" song?

Spin Doctors. I like their C.D. :up: :wink:

Collective Soul hits: "Shine," "The World I Know," "Heavy," and "Run." I heard all those songs on the radio more than once. :wink: :wink: ;)

sallycinnamon78 said:

Everything But The Girl were very high in the charts with their version of I Don't Wanna Talk About It... I think this was in 1988.

The Proclaimers came to prominence via their earlier single Letter From America, which also sold well... it was either 1987 or 1988 - I'm not certain which.

I'm assuming you are referring to the UK charts, which is fine.

However, in the U.S., none of the songs you mention were ever hits. I guess that makes them one hit wonders over here only.

I have a Take That single which I bought for $1 that has 'Back For Good', 'Pray', 'A Million Love Songs', and 'Why Can't I Wake Up Next To You' on it.

The last two are pretty rubbishy but the first two are pretty good. Especially 'Back For Good'.

The Maca-freaking-rena, people!

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
Gerardo - Rico Suave
OMC - How Bizarre
Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart
Falco - Rock Me Amadeus
The Divinyls - I Touch Myself
Meredith Brooks - Bitch
Musical Youth - Pass The Dutchie
Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight
Buster Poindexter - Hot Hot Hot
Los Del Rio - Macarena :mad:

Cute Irish Bono said:
Collective Soul hits: "Shine," "The World I Know," "Heavy," and "Run." I heard all those songs on the radio more than once. :wink: :wink: ;)

Thank you. I still enjoy Collective Soul. Their self titled album alone had 3 or 4 songs on it.

Anyway, my additions go as follows:
Snow-Informer
Skee-Low- I wish I was a little bit Taller

Sorry if these have been posted
phil

I probably mentioned this one earlier, but as I've just heard it again for the first time in years, I had to revive this thread out of respect:

TARZAN BOY by BALTIMORA .

Number 3 in 1985.

A song so ridiculous that it is brilliant. YEAH!!!!:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: Whoa oh oh oh oh ooaa! :bump: :bump: :applaud:

Must go take my medication...:reject:

Last edited:
one4u2 said:
Schockingly no one mentioned

Too Shy-Kajagoogoo
I remember desperately trying to make sense of the lyrics to that when I was a kid and coming up with something even sillier than the original lyrics. For years I was sure it was "you're too shy-de-shy, hush hush hidey pie".:huh:

Moonlit_Angel said:
I like that song...:reject:...

Angela

Oh YAY!!!! Another victim! It's such a catchy tune. I am listening to it now with great glee. I'm afraid to admit that I have downloaded both the single and the album version. Apparantly Baltimora (aka Northern Irish madman Jimmy McShane) died of AIDS in 1995. :(

My elder brother remembers me asking why Baltimora was singing "Nighty night, get in the oven, get in the oven".

My bro had to stop the car and pull over, he was laughing so hard. :ohmy:

Rock on Tarzan Boy!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom