Larry Mullen Jr. VS Phil Collins! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Acrobat
 
PopMartian33107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 332
Local Time: 04:14 PM
Larry Mullen Jr. VS Phil Collins!

(NOTE: This is not a rebel post. This is...Sunday, Cruddy Sunday.)

Hello! After listening to a bunch of U2 and Genesis records, I thought I'd square off two of the best drummers in the business.

Larry Mullen, Jr., has been a founding member of U2 since the mid-70's. He's the one who never ages. He's a solid, consistent backbone of U2, but not a showman in the least.

Phil Collins joined Genesis in 1971, and has since then went on to have a successful career in the band as well as scoring huge hits on a solo basis. While Larry isn't a showman who doesn';t like to trod out huge solo drum sessions, Phil is the exact opposite: Just listen to his awesome drum solos on Los Endoes, In That Quiet Earth, Duke's Travels, and Fading Lights. Also, In The Air Tonight is basically every drummer's Bible Song.

So who comes out on top? That's a toughie. While Larry provides a solid, driving beat to every U2 song, Phil is clearly the better drummer. Yes, those nasty little drum solos of his may get annoying, but just imagine how much talent and effort it takes to compose and perform them! Does Larry even have a signature drum beat?

Not to put down Larry or anything. I love the guy. And this was, of course, all in my own opinion.

So here's the final score:

Phil is the best drummer, that guy from Rush comes in second, and Larry is a distant third.

Please don't be angry with me, U2 fanatics. That's All!
__________________

__________________
PopMartian33107 is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,424
Local Time: 11:14 AM
larry's a better singer...
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 05-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
Refugee
 
WinnieThePoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 2,232
Local Time: 12:14 PM
phil
larry has no taste in music
he should be replaced by some studio ace drummer



on the other hand , phil has some problems with his ears

his records , except for Face Value , are terrible , weak , poppy

but with G- Unit , he did some fantastic work
and his vocals
__________________
WinnieThePoo is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
Refugee
 
FullonEdge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,314
Local Time: 04:14 PM
Larry Mullen not having a signature drumming style? I beg to differ. Larry Mullen has one of the most unique drumming styles in music today. His sound is as integral to U2's sound as Bono's or Adam's sounds.
__________________
FullonEdge2 is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 11:12 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
MsMofoGone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where is not important...
Posts: 26,717
Local Time: 11:14 AM
Oh yeah, I agree Phil Collins is the better drummer, over Larry Mullen Jr. The Duke's Travels are one of the best drum solos out there ... But, the drummer from Rush, Neil Peart, that you are referring to as 2nd place ?? NO WAY !! He's gotta be put at the TOP of this list. Neil is an amazing drummer! The BEST ... when compared to Phil and Larry. His exceptional drumming on these Rush songs, YYZ, Spirit Of Radio, Fly By Night, Tom Sawyer,
New World Man, and Subdivisions ... just to name a few ... definitely, tell the tale here !!

My drummer list would look like this ...

1) Neil Peart (Rush)
2) Phil Collins
3) Larry Mullen Jr. (U2)

Larry comes in at 3rd place because clearly he is NOT the best drummer here when compared with these three choices ...
__________________
MsMofoGone is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
Acrobat
 
PopMartian33107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 332
Local Time: 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WinnieThePoo
phil
larry has no taste in music
he should be replaced by some studio ace drummer



on the other hand , phil has some problems with his ears

his records , except for Face Value , are terrible , weak , poppy

but with G- Unit , he did some fantastic work
and his vocals
I beg to differ, WinnieThePoo. No Jacket Required was a fantastic pop outing, with plenty of good singles. And But Seriously... had a lot of heart to it, too, with global-conscience songs like Another Day In Paradise and Colours.

Face Value was his only good solo record? No way! Alright, I'll give it to you that his last two solo albums sucked big time...but he's still a good all-around musician!
__________________
PopMartian33107 is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
Acrobat
 
PopMartian33107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 332
Local Time: 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsMofoGone
Oh yeah, I agree Phil Collins is the better drummer, over Larry Mullen Jr. The Duke's Travels are one of the best drum solos out there ... But, the drummer from Rush, Neil Peart, that you are referring to as 2nd place ?? NO WAY !! He's gotta be put at the TOP of this list. Neil is an amazing drummer! The BEST ... when compared to Phil and Larry. His exceptional drumming on these Rush songs, YYZ, Spirit Of Radio, Fly By Night, Tom Sawyer,
New World Man, and Subdivisions ... just to name a few ... definitely, tell the tale here !!

My drummer list would look like this ...

1) Neil Peart (Rush)
2) Phil Collins
3) Larry Mullen Jr. (U2)

Larry comes in at 3rd place because clearly he is NOT the best drummer here when compared with these three choices ...
I agree that Neil Peart is awesome, fantastic, and all that, but I'd still place Phil Collins over him. Phil has been around longer, is more influential, and his solos are so energized and off-the-wall that you never know what to expect!

Neil is more of a precise drummer, like a mathmatician. And that's a good thing. All the songs you mentioned are great, especially YYZ and New World Man. Neil rules! But I like Phil better.
__________________
PopMartian33107 is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #8
Acrobat
 
PopMartian33107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 332
Local Time: 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
larry's a better singer...
Bah!
__________________
PopMartian33107 is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Danny Carey
__________________
impy13 is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
MissVelvetDress_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Posts: 25,776
Local Time: 11:14 AM
every drummer I have met always list the drummer of RUSH as the top drummer.
__________________
MissVelvetDress_75 is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #11
Acrobat
 
PopMartian33107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 332
Local Time: 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
every drummer I have met always list the drummer of RUSH as the top drummer.
That's odd, it's the exact opposite for me: Every drummer I've met (which isn't very many) list Phil Collins at the top. Maybe it just has to do with certain regions of the country?
__________________
PopMartian33107 is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #12
Refugee
 
Muggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Posts: 2,033
Local Time: 11:14 AM
well Phill collins is a better drummer.... but Larry is hotter so he wins for me

but Lars Ulrich is the best one
__________________
Muggsy is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
beli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a frock in Western Australia
Posts: 15,464
Local Time: 12:14 AM
Those four slinky African drummers that play with Youssou N'Dour are the best drummers.

Or they would be if they took their shirts off
__________________
beli is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #14
Refugee
 
WinnieThePoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 2,232
Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by PopMartian33107


I beg to differ, WinnieThePoo. No Jacket Required was a fantastic pop outing, with plenty of good singles. And But Seriously... had a lot of heart to it, too, with global-conscience songs like Another Day In Paradise and Colours.

Face Value was his only good solo record? No way! Alright, I'll give it to you that his last two solo albums sucked big time...but he's still a good all-around musician!
he is !
he just goes way too pop , you know
over the top
__________________
WinnieThePoo is offline  
Old 05-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
beli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a frock in Western Australia
Posts: 15,464
Local Time: 12:14 AM
No Jacke Required is not pop, its shmultz.
__________________

__________________
beli is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com