Kholat Syakhl, Russia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, I got it going basically right after I posted before.

Awesome site, thanks. :up: If they have the Kitchens of Distinction cd I've been looking for forever, I'll be really fucking happy.

Axver said:

Sordo links to here: http://rapid share.com/files/72799923/Swervedriver_-_Raise.rar

I've never gotten a dud from Sordo yet, though sometimes the tagging leaves something to be desired.

bad tagging on u2 start etc pisses me off to no end. you just know everyone went and entered the song names and track numbers on their own - hwat a waste! you'd think they could fix bad ones.

Varitek said:
interesting. i guess i usually (mistakenly i know) think of blindness as total blindness. which is dumb as i've got extremely severe nearsightedness myself, but it's correctable to 20-20. but there's no way the army could ever draft me! i am hoping some day laser surgery can correct me as i hate hate hate it when i can't see.

so sunlight affects your vision and not just your skin? is it like, everything beyond a meter goes white, or what? is your vision usually blurred, like my classic nearsightedness? i would not be able to read normal font on this laptop screen from typing distance if i didn't have my contacts on.

it's no wonder you don't like movies or tv much.

I'm honestly grateful that my vision cannot be surgically corrected. The idea of things, lasers, whatever in my eyes scares the daylights out of me. Leave my eyes alone! If I could have something done, it would be really hard to make the decision to do it.

Albinism is actually an eye condition; the pale skin is just a symptom and not all albinos have the pale skin. It relates to the pigments in the eyes. With regards to the sunlight, the easiest way to explain it is that my eyes simply do not filter light like normal eyes do. So, no, it's not blurry or anything, just a total washout, and a very painfully blinding washout at that. You know when you go to the movies and you come out into blinding daylight? Imagine if you were like that all the time. You can see why I prefer cloudy days ...

Varitek said:

lol that happens to so many of my albums.

i've only listened once. i think it's a cool project and i'd absolutely drop dead of excitement if u2 released something like it to see how the band would work under those conditions, even if the stuff sucked. i really liked the later tracks of the rescue the most and a few i wish they'd develop more. my boyfriend thought it was boring and watered down and such - it certainly doesn't have the same amount of resonance or whatever you would call it when they play the 3 guitars just so.

I need to listen to it more. I know they've played ... either Day Four or Day Six live lately, though not in Melbourne. I haven't taken in what I've heard, it's just been "oh, Your Hand In Mine is done; hey, this is pleasant, I'll wait a while before finding another album to play".

But yeah, the idea is awesome. The Pineapple Thief - a prog band - did a similar thing, though the results aren't as interesting.

Axver said:

I'm honestly grateful that my vision cannot be surgically corrected. The idea of things, lasers, whatever in my eyes scares the daylights out of me. Leave my eyes alone! If I could have something done, it would be really hard to make the decision to do it.

Albinism is actually an eye condition; the pale skin is just a symptom and not all albinos have the pale skin. It relates to the pigments in the eyes. With regards to the sunlight, the easiest way to explain it is that my eyes simply do not filter light like normal eyes do. So, no, it's not blurry or anything, just a total washout, and a very painfully blinding washout at that. You know when you go to the movies and you come out into blinding daylight? Imagine if you were like that all the time. You can see why I prefer cloudy days ...

you're not really truly grateful - isn't it better to have the option that you can always elect somewhere down the road or something?

i did hear about implantable permanent contacts that are an alternative to laser surgery, but they're pretty new.

i will say, i'll probably have 1 eye done at a time. just in case they fuck up the first one, i'll still have the other (and a huge ass lawsuit settlement - i don't care what kind of waiver i sign). the idea of my vision getting worse scares the shit out of me, but i want it better so bad, so that's my way to comfort myself.

i gotcha witht he washout, that's what i figured. but in normal light, is it like normal nearsightedness, just super severe? or is it just a washout but you can see further?

Varitek said:

yeah i checked it out. between that and u2start, maybe i'll subscribe to one or two of those dl sites next year when i have an income.

but probably not, i'm a cheap bastard.

:lol: If I'm going to pay for music, I'll pay for it by buying the real deal, not by enabling my downloading.

But I prefer to support the artist by buying from them directly, or going to gigs, or whatever. I don't want the money going to record executives and shit, as I believe the record industry is woefully mismanaged and missing the boat these days.

Axver said:

I need to listen to it more. I know they've played ... either Day Four or Day Six live lately, though not in Melbourne. I haven't taken in what I've heard, it's just been "oh, Your Hand In Mine is done; hey, this is pleasant, I'll wait a while before finding another album to play".

But yeah, the idea is awesome. The Pineapple Thief - a prog band - did a similar thing, though the results aren't as interesting.

it would be cool if they took that record, frozen in time, and then used the best songs on their to create their normal-style stuff. then you could see the evolution.

though it might be different than the evolution of their other stuff, which would also be interesting to see the process for

The Sad Punk said:
Heh, I got it going basically right after I posted before.

Awesome site, thanks. :up: If they have the Kitchens of Distinction cd I've been looking for forever, I'll be really fucking happy.

What Kitchens of Distinction CD do you want? I'll see if it's on Demonoid.

Axver said:

:lol: If I'm going to pay for music, I'll pay for it by buying the real deal, not by enabling my downloading.

But I prefer to support the artist by buying from them directly, or going to gigs, or whatever. I don't want the money going to record executives and shit, as I believe the record industry is woefully mismanaged and missing the boat these days.

well it's mostly for u2start anyway, i've thought about it for a while.

but yes, i agree. i try to buy albums of artists i really like (though honestly there might be one or two u2 albums i don't own, i'd have to check my cd booklet...and i've more than made up with all the merchandise and ticket money!) and i prefer concert tickets (still goes to promoters a bit...ticketmaster :mad: ) and direct purchases. i'm also broke. i mean, i have savings, but i'm also going to have to pay for grad school and my college loans, so i am thrifty.

also when i already have the mp3s, this is awful, but then it seems silly to buy them. i have all of eits's stuff for free. if i could buy records from them....

speaking of, all of my records and most of my cd's including some u2 were bought used, and artists see none of that income as far as i know. but you don't see the RIAA suing used cd stores.

Varitek said:

you're not really truly grateful - isn't it better to have the option that you can always elect somewhere down the road or something?

i did hear about implantable permanent contacts that are an alternative to laser surgery, but they're pretty new.

i will say, i'll probably have 1 eye done at a time. just in case they fuck up the first one, i'll still have the other (and a huge ass lawsuit settlement - i don't care what kind of waiver i sign). the idea of my vision getting worse scares the shit out of me, but i want it better so bad, so that's my way to comfort myself.

i gotcha witht he washout, that's what i figured. but in normal light, is it like normal nearsightedness, just super severe? or is it just a washout but you can see further?

Well, I just like being in the position where the decision simply doesn't have to be made. There's some promising gene therapy research being done, but that's a long way away from tangible outcomes. I'd be more comfortable with that than fuckin' lasers. It terrifies me, honestly.

It's hard to describe what things are like in a controlled light setting, like indoors right now at night. I wouldn't say things are blurry or washed out, just ... indistinct and smaller. In a way, it's kind of like low-res. I've never been able to come up with a good way to describe how I see; partly because my only basis for comparison is putting on my glasses, and basically that just magnifies and enlarges things a bit.

The Sad Punk said:

Strange Free World. I have Love is Hell and Death of Cool.

Damnit, nothing on Demonoid. :(

I wish Oink was still alive; you could just about guarantee it would've been there.

i remember sitting in class on the day oink died, watching a guy get a text about it and then check his laptop for the news - i didn't know what it was but i figured it out from the headlines and stuff

Axver said:

Well, I just like being in the position where the decision simply doesn't have to be made. There's some promising gene therapy research being done, but that's a long way away from tangible outcomes. I'd be more comfortable with that than fuckin' lasers. It terrifies me, honestly.

It's hard to describe what things are like in a controlled light setting, like indoors right now at night. I wouldn't say things are blurry or washed out, just ... indistinct and smaller. In a way, it's kind of like low-res. I've never been able to come up with a good way to describe how I see; partly because my only basis for comparison is putting on my glasses, and basically that just magnifies and enlarges things a bit.

i've never thought of it as low-res, my nearsightedness. next time i take off my contacts i'll have to think about it. i usually just think "damn shit is blurry." i can't focus if i try, whereas my bf is farsighted (glasses to read and such) so i asked him if when we're lying in bed together i'm blurry and he said (hahaha) looking at me too closely/focusing too long gives him a headache up close.

so you don'tknow if you just mimic nearsightedness, or was that a no?

The loss of Oink was devastating. It had almost EVERYTHING. It was the ultimate in filesharing and I can see why it got taken down, but damnit, record companies, learn from that example. Oink had a massive range and strict quality controls so you always got good audio quality and tagging. I would HAPPILY pay $50+ for a month's access to legally download all I like, or maybe buy a gigabyte's worth of downloads for $5 or whatever. Thousands would. But the record companies are too dumb to see that.

Varitek said:

i've never thought of it as low-res, my nearsightedness. next time i take off my contacts i'll have to think about it. i usually just think "damn shit is blurry." i can't focus if i try, whereas my bf is farsighted (glasses to read and such) so i asked him if when we're lying in bed together i'm blurry and he said (hahaha) looking at me too closely/focusing too long gives him a headache up close.

so you don'tknow if you just mimic nearsightedness, or was that a no?

Shortsightedness is part of what's wrong with my eyes, but it isn't the full story. There's astigmatism, nystagmus, strabismus, and of course the albinism removing pigments that aid sight. So I do have some aspects of shortsightedness, but it goes well beyond that.

Like I say, it's really hard for me to describe how I see because this is normal, and all my glasses do is provide some enlargement and a bit better focus. I can't begin to imagine what normal sight is like, or how people see the world in 6/6 (20/20).

Axver said:
The loss of Oink was devastating. It had almost EVERYTHING. It was the ultimate in filesharing and I can see why it got taken down, but damnit, record companies, learn from that example. Oink had a massive range and strict quality controls so you always got good audio quality and tagging. I would HAPPILY pay $50+ for a month's access to legally download all I like, or maybe buy a gigabyte's worth of downloads for $5 or whatever. Thousands would. But the record companies are too dumb to see that.

Now THAT is affordable. I'd even pay double that for the month thing.

i'm listening to appleseed cast live for the first time, the torrent i dl'd had like 5 gigs. the vocals are super hard to hear (usually they are mixed under anyway but not this severely) but the instruments are very clear, weird, i wonder what the source was, especially as there's no crowd noise. they sound pretty rockin' libe though.

wow i just listened to a bit of a song from each of the gigs i have and some are kinda tinny and noisy but others are fabulous quality (and with stronger vocals).

but their setlists live are weird, mostly because low level owl is a whole sound experience, so to hear the songs mixed up and mixed in with stuff from other albums is weird and doesn't quite flow.

Varitek said:
wow i just listened to a bit of a song from each of the gigs i have and some are kinda tinny and noisy but others are fabulous quality (and with stronger vocals).

but their setlists live are weird, mostly because low level owl is a whole sound experience, so to hear the songs mixed up and mixed in with stuff from other albums is weird and doesn't quite flow.

Ahh, yeah, I imagine trying to work stuff from a cohesive album into a set would be really difficult. I know that Dream Theater has often just done the Scenes From A Memory album in full rather than breaking it up, though it has a couple of breaks that allow them to do just certain sections (at the gig I saw, they did the first four songs as there's a brief pause between tracks four and five that allows them to logically end things there).

Axver said:

Ahh, yeah, I imagine trying to work stuff from a cohesive album into a set would be really difficult. I know that Dream Theater has often just done the Scenes From A Memory album in full rather than breaking it up, though it has a couple of breaks that allow them to do just certain sections (at the gig I saw, they did the first four songs as there's a brief pause between tracks four and five that allows them to logically end things there).

god if u2 would just play TUF and bsides

:drool:

i want a smiley for :dropsdeadofhappiness:

i should go work too

oh my god that is SO inappropriate. i have a paper late and the prof emailed me and 3 others who are late NOT bcc'd but it looks like to the WHOLE FUCKING CLASS to say "where is it"

Varitek said:
god if u2 would just play TUF and bsides

:drool:

i want a smiley for :dropsdeadofhappiness:

i should go work too

That would be made of SuperWin. ExtraSuperWin.

Hell, I'll settle for all of JT even.

It's kind of sad that the most of an album U2 has ever done in order live is three songs, to the best of my recollection (One/UTEOTW/WGRYWH on ZooTV, and Streets/ISHFWILF/WOWY was done at some JT shows; there may have been a WOWY/Bullet/RTSS too but my memory's refusing to tell me when).

that's a bit full on! :huh:

OMG SUGAR HIGH :hyper: :hyper:

dark choc with liqueur flavoured fillings + Absolution = :up:

*writes incoherent rambling in application* :D

Varitek said:
oh my god that is SO inappropriate. i have a paper late and the prof emailed me and 3 others who are late NOT bcc'd but it looks like to the WHOLE FUCKING CLASS to say "where is it"

WTF.

You could and probably should lodge a complaint about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom