Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts Superthread - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2008, 02:37 AM   #541
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2
Railfanning it up at 737 metres above sea-level

That's an AWESOME photo, what with the cloud shrouding the hill behind the DXs.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 AM   #542
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:31 AM
ian answer ax's questions, i wanna know too!

especially cause cells aren't actually dangerous, the FAA was considering allowing them but people want peace and quiet. i often leave my ipod on hidden under my hair and a blanket or sweater.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:41 AM   #543
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I'm not surprised. Apparently it was a long TranzAlpine train yesterday.

Here was the best should i could manage of the locos themselves, again at Arthurs Pass.

Oh, 4513, that's a DC! So a DC/DX combo. The DC class are 1980s rebuilds of my favourite Kiwi diesel locos, the DA class.

Here's a preserved DA, one that escaped either scrapping or rebuilding. Unfortunately not my photos. But damn it looks good.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #544
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Oh, so you think if, while I'm walking across the tarmac to the plane, I'm photographing all the planes, they shouldn't take issue with it?

I have three questions you might be able to answer, too.

1. Why do they always say to turn off electronic devices prior for take-off and landing? I can understand phones, but as you say, cameras don't broadcast. Nor does my iPod. So why do they need to go off?

2. Why on earth must mobile phones remain switched off while the plane is being refueled?

3. This truly baffled me. Yesterday in Sydney, the plane was being refueled while we boarded, and not only did they ask for phones to be switched off, but those of us who had our seatbelts on were asked to take them off and leave them off until refueling was done. WTF?
They shouldn't, but they might just because at Coolangatta they have pretty narrow walking lanes and don't want you slowing people up. Plus, there is bound to be some idiot there who'll think you're a terrorist. But it's worth trying.

1. I don't know. It's old thinking, i suspect. Frankly, if my camera is enough to cause the plane problems on take off or landing i'm far more fucking worried about the plane i'm on. The iPod may be because if something goes wrong you can easily hear instructions and not be obstructed by headphones as you run like hell.

2. I guess the same thinking that applies at petrol stations.

3. Refueling planes has a nasty tendency to become explosive. You don't want to be strapped in if you have to bolt from the plane if there is a fire. Amusingly, today most of us got on, put on our seatbelts as usual and after 10 minutes the flight attendant got on the PA and told us not to do up our seatbelts because they were refueling. I've always thought this might be a useful announcement in the gate lounge rather than after 10 minutes on the plane.

A lot of rules on planes are largely antiquated, but i don't think anybody is game enough to run practical tests to see if we can move on from them.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:43 AM   #545
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Hell yeah, and perhaps a bus dork too.
Nah, we don't want flame wars. I'm very anti-bus.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #546
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
ian answer ax's questions, i wanna know too!

especially cause cells aren't actually dangerous, the FAA was considering allowing them but people want peace and quiet. i often leave my ipod on hidden under my hair and a blanket or sweater.
I'm sure cell phones aren't dangerous. When i flew Wellington - Christchurch last year my mate left his phone on accidentally and we survived.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #547
Blue Crack Addict

weird about refueling, i've never been on a plane that's done that, in the states they do it before you board.

the most i've sat on a plane was one shit delay in italy for god knows what (plus we circled over boston for weather...so it ended up being 10+ hours when it shoulda been 7.5) (plus with the delay, my mom had been late, but they still wouldn't let her on the plane even though it was just sitting there)

and this time in uganda where they had to kick a passenger off the plane and then offload a bunch of baggage til they found his.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:45 AM   #548
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Oh, 4513, that's a DC! So a DC/DX combo. The DC class are 1980s rebuilds of my favourite Kiwi diesel locos, the DA class.

Here's a preserved DA, one that escaped either scrapping or rebuilding. Unfortunately not my photos. But damn it looks good.

Fascinating.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:45 AM   #549
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I'm sure cell phones aren't dangerous. When i flew Wellington - Christchurch last year my mate left his phone on accidentally and we survived.
i've left my phone on or it's turned on (back when i didn't have a flip phone) and it's been fine. my phone has a flight mode which is nice, no signal but i can still use the alarm. and like i said, i've listened to my ipod during takeoff and landing and i'm here typing about it now. gasp.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:48 AM   #550
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
weird about refueling, i've never been on a plane that's done that, in the states they do it before you board.

the most i've sat on a plane was one shit delay in italy for god knows what (plus we circled over boston for weather...so it ended up being 10+ hours when it shoulda been 7.5) (plus with the delay, my mom had been late, but they still wouldn't let her on the plane even though it was just sitting there)

and this time in uganda where they had to kick a passenger off the plane and then offload a bunch of baggage til they found his.
Refueling offers faster turn around times, usually it's done by lower cost airlines. We mainly did it today because everything that had to pass through Auckland this morning was delayed due to fog - not helped because the plane routes Auckland-Wellington-Christchurch before going back to Auckland.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:48 AM   #551
Blue Crack Addict

you know, i'm not a huge fan of this magic hat ale
Old 04-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #552
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

i've left my phone on or it's turned on (back when i didn't have a flip phone) and it's been fine. my phone has a flight mode which is nice, no signal but i can still use the alarm. and like i said, i've listened to my ipod during takeoff and landing and i'm here typing about it now. gasp.
I use a digital camera - and a fairly meaty one at that - on takeoff and landing and i'm reviewing the photos and video from that right now. I'm lucky to be alive, or so you would believe with the idiots at airliners.net.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #553
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 04-28-2008, 02:51 AM   #554
Blue Crack Supplier

The plane that flew me home this morning. It's rather unusually named Bewitching Broome, a sign of it's previous life in the Virgin Blue fleet.

I've actually flown on this one before back when it operated for Virgin Blue.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:51 AM   #555
Vocal parasite

Quote:
They shouldn't, but they might just because at Coolangatta they have pretty narrow walking lanes and don't want you slowing people up. Plus, there is bound to be some idiot there who'll think you're a terrorist. But it's worth trying.

1. I don't know. It's old thinking, i suspect. Frankly, if my camera is enough to cause the plane problems on take off or landing i'm far more fucking worried about the plane i'm on. The iPod may be because if something goes wrong you can easily hear instructions and not be obstructed by headphones as you run like hell.

2. I guess the same thinking that applies at petrol stations.

3. Refueling planes has a nasty tendency to become explosive. You don't want to be strapped in if you have to bolt from the plane if there is a fire. Amusingly, today most of us got on, put on our seatbelts as usual and after 10 minutes the flight attendant got on the PA and told us not to do up our seatbelts because they were refueling. I've always thought this might be a useful announcement in the gate lounge rather than after 10 minutes on the plane.

A lot of rules on planes are largely antiquated, but i don't think anybody is game enough to run practical tests to see if we can move on from them.
I think I might ask in the terminal beforehand if they mind photography. When I got off in Coolangatta yesterday, it immediately struck me that it would be awesome for photography. And I'm usually the guy walking past everyone ... good God people walk too slow.

1. Ah, righto. I've accidentally left my phone on, and more often than not my iPod's on as it has a habit of turning itself on in my pocket, and I'm still here to talk about it! Are there actually documented instances of this stuff fucking up planes, or is it just cautiousness?

2. I was under the impression that was little more than an urban myth ...

3. This was the first time I've encountered a "please leave your seatbelts unfastened" announcement, though I've had the mobile phone one before. I figure that if the plane becomes explosive, we're all fucked anyway!

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread