Interference Random Music Thread XII: GAF and the Liquid Courage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
McGuinness has crushed everyone's dreams by stating that there won't be a new album before the restart of the tour and that, because of the expense of lugging a giant glowing crab all over the place, they may not hit the Southern hemisphere for a long time. Tears are flowing in the other place. Where the beer flows like wine and the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.

He didn't say that with any kind of finality, the exact quote sounded like things are still up in the air.

I'm pessimistic anyway, of course.

It seems like many bands (U2, The Cure, Radiohead, etc) always have these grandiose claims when an album comes out of having another album come out extremely soon after the other one because they have so much material left over, and it just never seems to happen. Having been burned many times before, I am always pessimistic about this kind of stuff too.

At this point, if anyone thinks we're getting a Shuttlecock record any time soon, they're kidding themselves. Their little busine$$ doesn't quite work that way these days.

"We will return to the tour next June in California, and of course the guys have been writing songs. It is most likely take out a new album after the tour, but the truth is I do not know for certain."

Like I said, not set in stone.

This is a band that fucked up Popmart by setting things in stone too early. Even if they were coming out with an album before the tour re-started, no one would say so for sure except Bono because he's crazy and eager and all that shit.

Well, they've been pumping this up for quite a while, now...along with most other outlets. I was expecting a higher score, in all honesty.

I heard the Beach House thingie. It's good, I'll pick it up. I got really excited by the first song, but nothing else was quite as awesome as that. Still liked it, though.

Are their albums different than the live stuff? Cause if not, I fucking hate Beach House, based on when they opened for THE GRIZ! this fall...

Having never seen them live, I can't really tell you. If you don't like Legrand's voice, you're probably shit out of luck and won't ever dig any of their albums. What specifically did you hate about them?

Hey, martha! You occasionally have reason to add your two cents about how you do not like the Beach Boys, or any Beach Boys influence.

(I hope I'm remembering that right and not totally making that up.)

What's your beef with the Beach Boys? Is there something specific you don't like about them, or is it just one of those deep-seated knee-jerk "God, I can't stand those guys" kind of reactions?

Having never seen them live, I can't really tell you. If you don't like Legrand's voice, you're probably shit out of luck and won't ever dig any of their albums. What specifically did you hate about them?

No, I like her voice quite a bit, it was the fact that they used drum machines extremely, extremely poorly (as in, as the majority of their percussion), along with a live drummer who sat there and played a little tap now and then. It just didn't do it for me.

I'm all for drum machines when they're used as a means to create a sparse, cold space (see Handsome Furs' Plague Park), but it bothers me when indie bands use them as a sort of poor substitute for real percussion.

What's your beef with the Beach Boys? Is there something specific you don't like about them, or is it just one of those deep-seated knee-jerk "God, I can't stand those guys" kind of reactions?

This will give me something to think about during the last hour or so of the mind-numbing, spirit-killing, yet somehow enraging meeting I must return to in a few minutes.

I'll be back.

And no, you weren't making that up.

And no, you weren't making that up.

Glad I'm not losing my mind. I'm mostly just curious, as everytime you make a BB comment, I always mean to find out why, but for whatever reason, never do.

Not looking to pick a fight. Promise. :sexywink:

Gotcha. I suppose we'll see if I have the same observation in April.

You're seeing them then, I'm guessing?

Legrand's voice is probably my favorite part about them, for what it's worth. The buddy I went to THE GRIZ! show with and I both said after their set that if she had a different band to sing for, it'd be so much better. And "Slow Life" was gorgeous, as was the version of "Two Weeks" the two bands did together live.

I'll have to give their album a listen for myself, I suppose.

Yeah, they're playing in late April for $12, a little more than half what I spent on their LP today.

Let me know if you do wind up trying Teen Dream. You might just have a change of heart.

Glad I'm not losing my mind. I'm mostly just curious, as everytime you make a BB comment, I always mean to find out why, but for whatever reason, never do.

Not looking to pick a fight. Promise. :sexywink:

I will never fight with you, dear. Except in nighties and feathers for money. :sexywink:

Anyway, I've been trying to put my finger on exactly what it is I don't like, and I can't really quantify it.

I don't like the melodies, the harmonies, the tempos, all that shit. I just don't like 'em. :shrug: A lot.

Dennis Wilson killed her puppy.

That fucker died on my birthday.

Dennis, not the puppy.

I will never fight with you, dear. Except in nighties and feathers for money. :sexywink:

money-bag.gif

:corn:

Oh! Um. Er ......

Huh.

How much money? :shifty:

I completely understand not being to explain why you like or dislike certain music, so fair play to all that. I was just curious if there was something specific. :)

I think the Beach Boys were crappy at crafting albums (excepting Pet Sounds, of course), but a collection of my favorite singles of theirs would be better than any single disc most artists could release. So yeah, I love some of their work, but a lot of it feels dated and, I dunno, vestigial to me. Maybe that's just a pretentious way of saying they're not to my taste, but those horrid album tracks constantly underline the fact that they weren't on some elevated musical plane. They had loads of flaws as songwriters and musicians that they managed to overcome with sporadic bursts of harmonic genius.

Regardless, Warmth Of The Sun, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom