Interference Random Music Thread Part VIII: Revenge of the Buttmeat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sang on a few of those, actually. This was back when my voice was complete shit. I can actually sing now, which I'm sure you find hilarious given what you called my "twang."

Not really. I mean, when people sing, accents can seem to disappear, etc.

I have no fucking musical talent at all, to my eternal disappointment.

Funny story. A friend of mine programs and is quite excellent at it, so him and I and two other friends got together to make a chopped and screwed rap song for our buddies birthday. Programming dude made the beats and played the synths, I wrote the lyrics and played the guitar part, and the other two sang. It turned out so, so good. Just epic hilarity but the production values were fantastic. I'll try to put it up sometime.

Awesome, definitely get it up sometime. Reminds me of some high school friends of mine who made up a joke rap group (they were in a real band together) and recorded a few songs, including their classic, "Got Meat in That Bag?"

Well, it's fair to say my voice has vastly improved since then, which I chalk up to listening to a ton of music and practicing a lot. It's landed somewhere between Andrew Bird's and Jeff Tweedy's, which I'm sure will inspire some derisive comments.

Those things were actually quite a bit of fun, despite a lot of people being absolutely terrible. It was at least really interesting and unique idea.

Picture this: same thing, but with the cockified lyrics. HOOOO BOY.

Awesome, definitely get it up sometime. Reminds me of some high school friends of mine who made up a joke rap group (they were in a real band together) and recorded a few songs, including their classic, "Got Meat in That Bag?"

That's always a good time. Ours was about (and sang by) our 6'3", 300+ pound buddy with red hair. He's got an amazing sense of humor about himself, so it was a great time. It wasn't complete until we added the autotuned "shorrrttaaayyyyy."

Well, it's fair to say my voice has vastly improved since then, which I chalk up to listening to a ton of music and practicing a lot.

Those things were actually quite a bit of fun, despite a lot of people being absolutely terrible. It was at least really interesting and unique idea.

Picture this: same thing, but with the cockified lyrics. HOOOO BOY.

That's always a good time. Ours was about (and sang by) our 6'3", 300+ pound buddy with red hair. He's got an amazing sense of humor about himself, so it was a great time. It wasn't complete until we added the autotuned "shorrrttaaayyyyy."

I listened to a few of the songs. Mostly horrible contributions, but it still seemed like fun. Being a good singer obviously was not the point of that.

I cannot sing for shit but I'd sure as fuck contribute to SC songs. :)

If I could get you to do "Lance's Mom's Strand," I'd be pleased as punch.

Maybe there's a way to get Bonernie in on this. He seems spry.

How did you manage to get Harry Knowles in your band? Austin isn't that small of a world, is it?

Nice. Speaking of autotune, did anybody else see this gem:

Pitchfork: Want to Sound Just Like T-Pain? There's an App for That

Now, with only an iPhone, everybody can sound like T-Pain, autotuned and everything.

How did you manage to get Harry Knowles in your band? Austin isn't that small of a world, is it?

Fucking Harry, man. The guy pisses me off every time I see him getting wheeled to the front of the line at the Alamo. It's happened several times.

Nice. Speaking of autotune, did anybody else see this gem:

Pitchfork: Want to Sound Just Like T-Pain? There's an App for That

Now, with only an iPhone, everybody can sound like T-Pain, autotuned and everything.

I'll be downloading that.

I've never been a huge fan of the genre but, because a lot of my best friends are big into it, I've been exposed to a ton of rap/hip-hop in my life. Eminem was BIG when I was in middle school...his second album was all anybody listened to in 7th grade. So I'll admit that I have a soft spot for a lot of his older stuff. (The new stuff is terrible.)

As I think I mentioned before, Tupac is my favorite. I can't praise him enough and think he was a pretty brilliant mind.

There's some fantastic shit on both of Dre's Chronic LPs.

Illmatic is pretty damn great.

As you guys said, Tribe were awesome. The Pharcyde, specifically their debut album, is great.

And a few of my friends are massive Bone Thugs N Harmony fans so I know a lot about them...maybe too much. Also saw them live a couple years ago.

Saw Kanye live and it was one of the least memorable concerts I've ever been to. Although College Dropout is a modern classic.

I've never been a huge fan of the genre but, because a lot of my best friends are big into it, I've been exposed to a ton of rap/hip-hop in my life. Eminem was BIG when I was in middle school...his second album was all anybody listened to in 7th grade. So I'll admit that I have a soft spot for a lot of his older stuff. (The new stuff is terrible.)

As I think I mentioned before, Tupac is my favorite. I can't praise him enough and think he was a pretty brilliant mind.

There's some fantastic shit on both of Dre's Chronic LPs.

Illmatic is pretty damn great.

As you guys said, Tribe were awesome. The Pharcyde, specifically their debut album, is great.

I like a lot of Eminem's older stuff too. He's an interesting character, that's for sure.

I believe you did, and we agree on that fact. He's my favorite too, and I think just a fascinating person.

Yes.

And yes again.

The Pharcyde! I saw them at Soundset this year, reunited, and they were fantastic. Tons of energy, really a great show.

I mean, all personal biases aside, I think we can all freely and openly admit that "Stan" is a pretty fucking great song, right?

I mean, all personal biases aside, I think we can all freely and openly admit that "Stan" is a pretty fucking great song, right?

Yep. But, to be perfectly honest, I've always found Dr. Dre's beats far more offensive to my sensibilities than anything Em raps. They may not have sounded dated and cartoonish in 1999, but man do they sound awful now. Em is a spectacularly skilled MC, and had he worked with someone like DJ Premier or Madlib, I'd probably be a huge fan today.

We only caught the end of their set. We showed up WAY late (we were at free party in the valley with bands we really wanted to see), and they had already shut down the will call booth. Only after pleading with a security guard were we allowed it.

clientele-bonfires.jpg

I have been listening pretty non-stop to an illicit copy of the new record from The Clientele, Bonfires on the Heath. It is brilliant, and I think that I have a new contender for the king of my 2009 mountain. Almost as good as their last one, the brilliantly titled God Save The Clientele. I ache at this being their last record. I should really start up a new thread or find an old one to continue, I guess. This one's going to hold my attention for a while, it seems...

Some of their tunes from other records, since none of these are floating around in any places of which I'm aware:

"Here Comes The Phantom"

YouTube - Clientele - These Days Nothing But Sunshine

The Clientele - Since K Got Over Me - No idea why there're three minutes of silence, at the end...

anyone here like/heard of a band called architecture in helsinki? they're from melbourne, they're pretty bloody fantastic, i can't stop listening to them! the music is so different, unlike nearly anything else i've heard, and the vocals are so distinctive. check them out if you're looking for something from left field!

YouTube - Architecture In Helsinki - Heart It Races

is perhaps their most well-known and one of their best songs.

Alright, since we've been chatting about hip-hop, and Space Moon didn't materialize, which was going to include an all hip-hop list from me, here it is, check it out if you're so inclined:

spacemoonfront.jpg

Tracklist:
1. "Check Your System's Levels" - Ant Melodies and Memories 85-89
2. "My World Premiere" - Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf Big Shots
3. "Keep On Rockin It" - Peanut Butter Wolf My Vinyl Weighs a Ton
4. "Rebel Yellow" - Cecil Otter Rebel Yellow
5. "Purexed" - P.O.S. Never Better
6. "Quiet Dog Bite Hard" - Mos Def The Ecstatic
7. "Forgive Me for My Synapses" - Eyedea & Abilities By the Throat
8. "Lovelife" - Atmosphere God Loves Ugly
9. "Daylight" - Brother Ali The Undisputed Truth
10. "Song Cry" - Jay-Z MTV Unplugged
11. "Accordian" - Madvillain Madvillainy
12. "Eternal Sunshine" - Jay Electronica Act 1: The Eternal Sunshine (The Pledge)
13. "By Torpedo or Crohn's" - Why? Alopecia
14. "Keep Ya Head Up" - 2Pac Greatest Hits
15. "Voices in My Head" - K'naan The Dusty Foot Philosopher
16. "People" - Jay Dee/J Dilla Donuts
17. "Hip Hop" - dead prez Dave Chappelle's Block Party

http://www.send space.com/file/b5o40h

anyone here like/heard of a band called architecture in helsinki? they're from melbourne, they're pretty bloody fantastic, i can't stop listening to them! the music is so different, unlike nearly anything else i've heard, and the vocals are so distinctive. check them out if you're looking for something from left field!

They used to be great, yeah. But then they released Places Like This.

I love that one. I wish the soundtrack didn't have all those stupid phone convos on it. :angry:

I know! I really love the moment when they go from rapping acappella to when the beat drops back in, and that's purely why I used it, but the minute of phone conversation before it gets started does bring the song down a little.

I'm watching No Direction Home at the moment. I'd forgotten how great a film it is.

Observations so far:

1. The anger over Dylan going electric cracks me up, but it made me happy to see the scene where a fan finally defends Dylan to another.

2. I love Allen Ginsburg.

That is a great documentary.

Has anyone had the chance to see Renaldo & Clara, Dylan's 4-hour doc/experimental theatre/concert film from the Rolling Thunder tour? It's only available online in torrents, as it was savaged by the critics and never saw a proper release, but if you're a fan of THE ZIMM! it's got some great stuff. And a LOT of Ginsburg, including a scene where they shave his beard off!

For some reason, I never wound up finishing No Direction Home. I own the DVD, but just never really sat down and knocked it all out. I need to do that rather than watching I'm Not There for the thousandth time.

And was I the only one who didn't realize Amy Millan had another solo album coming out? It's already leaked, even. I was a fan of a good chunk of Honey from the Tombs, so this should please me.

That is a great documentary.

Has anyone had the chance to see Renaldo & Clara, Dylan's 4-hour doc/experimental theatre/concert film from the Rolling Thunder tour? It's only available online in torrents, as it was savaged by the critics and never saw a proper release, but if you're a fan of THE ZIMM! it's got some great stuff. And a LOT of Ginsburg, including a scene where they shave his beard off!

I have not, but I'm going to download it now, especially if there's lots of Ginsburg in there. Watching No Direction Home brought me back to junior year in high school...we had to recite a poem in front of the class for English, and I chose the 120+ line "America," which is featured in the film. My English teacher was pretty cool for letting me do it.

For some reason, I never wound up finishing No Direction Home. I own the DVD, but just never really sat down and knocked it all out. I need to do that rather than watching I'm Not There for the thousandth time.

You definitely should at some point. 3 and a half hours is a sort of long time, but it's such a fantastic documentary.

And was I the only one who didn't realize Amy Millan had another solo album coming out? It's already leaked, even. I was a fan of a good chunk of Honey from the Tombs, so this should please me.

It has NOTHING on Honey From The Tombs. Nothing. Not a bad record, but just nothing at all special. I was really expecting a lot, but I think I got too carried away. Nothing special.

Recently, I've been trying to get acquainted with Gram Parson's recorded output, to mixed success. It started with a listen to Sweetheart Of The Rodeo earlier this year, which was a bit underwhelming. Too short, too slight, too covers-heavy. Then, every time I dove into his GP/Grievous Angel set, I realized I wasn't in the mood for country and just quit. Well, today I gave The Gilded Palace Of Sin a shot...wow. Stunning record. Excellent hooks, harmonies, lyrics...it's perfect. Not sure why I waited so long to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom