Interference Random Music Talk Part IV: Avoiding KNIFE CRIME for One More Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
uhh Our Earthly Pleasures I think. Karaoke Plays, and a couple of the second half tracks were pretty decent, just nothing remarkable.

I find it interesting that you may be named one of my least favourite tracks on that album as one of the best :lol: Maybe you should try giving it another listen some of the lyrics on that album are great

Yeah, my university rules...Talib Kweli canceled a free concert here on Saturday night, and a bit later, there were "riots" in one of the campus neighborhoods in Minneapolis. Bright side? It made Pitchfork! :laugh:

Pitchfork: News

Didn't know you were a Golden Gopher, 1B1L. Sorry we bounced you from the tourney last month.

Anyway, has anyone listened to the new Conor Oberst album, Outer South, yet? I want to know if it's better than the self-titled, which left me as unsatisfied as YLB's Lady Friend.

:lol: I'm hoping the second. :wink:

Actually, there's all sorts of police brutality stories coming out today. One guy who was there to take pictures was shot in the groin, tackled by police, tied up and thrown into a police van, where he was held for 3-4 hours without being read his rights. While this guy was in the van, another arrestee said he needed to use the bathroom, he was sprayed at point-blank range with pepper spray. There were a group of girls who, I'm sure were very intoxicated (doesn't excuse these police actions though), and asked an officer to take a picture with them. He walked up onto the porch, sprayed pepper spray through their front door at them, and turned around and walked away. :tsk: :down:

Random music thought to bring this back on topic: Holy crap, D'Angelo is amazing. Yes, I said it. You all probably remember him from the nude video he did for "Untitled (How Does It Feel?)," but damn, that man can sing for real! Voodoo is awesome. :drool:

Anyway, has anyone listened to the new Conor Oberst album, Outer South, yet? I want to know if it's better than the self-titled, which left me as unsatisfied as YLB's Lady Friend.

God, I can't stand that guy.

Random music thought to bring this back on topic: Holy crap, D'Angelo is amazing. Yes, I said it. You all probably remember him from the nude video he did for "Untitled (How Does It Feel?)," but damn, that man can sing for real! Voodoo is awesome. :drool:

This. Fantastic album, with a lot of work from ?uestlove from The Roots, if I'm not mistaken. And I think he also did some work on Mos Def's first album as well; both have a similar sound.

God, I can't stand that guy.

On a personal level, I don't care for him. I think he's a bit of a dick. But there's no denying that the guy has written several great, great songs through the years. Bright Cocks has put out two wonderful albums.

Heard this for the first time on the radio the other day. The song's called "I Know What I Am" and the band is called Band of Skulls. Kind of a terrible band name, but I think I might really like the song. First thing I thought was "This is the closest I've ever heard anyone come to sounding like the White Stripes"...just the whole vibe and everything. And the male vocalist actually sounds a lot like Jack. Unfortunately, some people have already made the connection on the YouTube comments so I feel less cool for having noticed the similarities. But, still, this shit is catchy and really is very Stripesish. Don't know if it will hold up over time but I'm liking it this very second.

YouTube - I Know What I Am - Band of Skulls

On a personal level, I don't care for him. I think he's a bit of a dick. But there's no denying that the guy has written several great, great songs through the years. Bright Cocks has put out two wonderful albums.

I find his voice terribly grating, and his delivery rather forced and overwrought. Songwriting skills can't really overcome that for me.

This. Fantastic album, with a lot of work from ?uestlove from The Roots, if I'm not mistaken. And I think he also did some work on Mos Def's first album as well; both have a similar sound.

Yep, you're right, ?uestlove did a majority of the production, along with some help from J Dilla and others. Common's Like Water for Chocolate was being recorded at the same time and in the same studio as Voodoo, so those two also have very similar sounds.

Impy, I know it's probably cool to live in Austin and be over them, but are you a Spoon fan?

Just wondering.

Believe it or not, I've been a fan since the Soft Effects EP, which I heard right when it came out. It's been rather vindicating seeing them attain the stature I always felt they deserved, even if I think the last album was a bit overrated (I think Gimme Fiction destroys it).

And GAF, that Band of Skulls song ain't bad, but yeah it's really derivative of the White Stripes (until it kicks in and begins to sound like Franz Ferdinand or something), and with Jack White fronting two popular bands right now, it's a bit much to sound so similar.

Could be worse though; at least he doesn't sound like Chris Martin.

Common's album was the one I was thinking of. Though he may have appeared on Mos Def's as well.

All three are great albums.

:yes:

I'm not sure if he did any work on Mos Def's album, but whichever Erykah Badu album came out around that time was also being recorded along with Voodoo and Like Water for Chocolate. All of those people, along with several others, were a part of the Soulquarians production team, who worked on a ton of great hip-hop and neo-soul albums from around that time.

Impy, I know it's probably cool to live in Austin and be over them, but are you a Spoon fan?

I'm a pretty big fan, although I never find myself listening to them anymore (probably a good reason for that*). I wouldn't say Spoon backlash is hip. There really isn't any. They're pretty much revered around here as the act synonymous with Austin. They actually just announced a mini-festival where they play Stubb's three nights in a row with different openers each night (Trail of Dead, Black Joe Lewis, Low). I'd say Spoon is still a big draw and the cock of the walk here, so to speak. I've been a fan for a good while now, my favorite album probably being Kill the Moonlight, with Fiction and Girls Can Tell tied at a close second. I was huge into Ga^5 when it came out but I haven't listened to it in a damn long time.

*A good friend of mine fucked Britt a few times and it turns out he's a big time asshole. That kind of stuff affects how I feel about them, although it probably shouldn't. Conversely, Jim Eno sat right next to me at Radiohead in Dallas last year and again at BSS here in January. That's a ridiculous coincidence (the one time I ever sit next to the same stranger at two different shows and it's fucking Spoon's drummer), but he's a really good guy.

First thing: you sleep with someone in a band, especially in a big band, and I've got no sympathy for you. It goes with the territory, no? We missed seeing Spoon when we were working in Detroit in Oct '07 (sold out on the day of the show), but I ran into Britt at the adjoining bar afterwards, and he was very humble, apologized for me not being able to get in, asked my name, and offered his hand to shake when we were done speaking. I've heard bad stuff about him as well, but all I know is he's not an asshole all the time.

Ironically, I think Kill the Moonlight is my least favorite after Telephono. No particular reason, as I like all the albums, but the tunes just aren't there for me. I'd probably rank them:

1. Gimme Fiction
2. A Series of Sneaks
3. Girls Can Tell
4. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
5. Kill the Moonlight
6. Telephono

I'd probably put Soft Effect pretty high up there, even if it only has 5 songs. Loss Leaders is one of my favorite tracks.

It's funny how they sound rather normal now, but I thought they had one of the most unique sounds at the time. Jagged, spiky rhythms, and a guy with this perfect rock snarl (he's got to be in the Top 5 Coolest Voices, along with Nick Cave)...they were about 6-7 years ahead of the trend.

I think that's one cool thing about anyone I know who is into the band: there is no consensus best album. It seems like it varies wildly from person to person. Whereas with Shuttlecock, for example, most everyone claims Achtung Birdie or The Joshua Cock to be their best album, Spoon's fans seem to be separated pretty well on what they like. It's really cool. And I agree their early albums were ahead of their time, as well as Britt having a perfect voice for a rock band.

I'd actually be quite okay with your list if you just swapped Sneaks and Moonlight. And speaking of Kill the Moonlight, if anyone can find my awe inspiring Space Moon cover Kill the Space Moonlight, I'll be really pleased.

I'm glad Britt was cool to you. I really don't know anyone who has interacted with him except for that one good friend. But I mean the guy might be great to his fans and just shitty to women. All I know is she was a huge fan of the band and managed to get that sexual relationship going and he pretty much used her. Typical rock star stuff. She didn't expect much to begin with, but was still upset. I mean most girls would be if a guy fucked them a few times and kicked them to the curb, rock star or not (I have a clinger on me right now because I did the same thing two weekends ago, so I'm no saint). I actually saw them for the first time with her in 2006, after they had finished their thing. We had an offer to go backstage, but declined. He had his eyes on her the entire show. It was awkward.

Laz, I'm with you on Kill The Moonlight. Most of the songs start out promising but rarely get off the ground. You can tell that was a style they were experimenting with for that one album, but it doesn't make the record any less frustrating or dull.

Otherwise, I adore Spoon. Definitely one of my favorite bands. Ranking the albums is relatively easy for me:

1. Girls Can Tell (A)
2. GaGaGaGaGa (A-)
3. Gimme Fiction (B+)
4. A Series Of Sneaks (B+)
5. Kill The Moonlight (B-)

Haven't heard Telephono yet.

Oddly Kill the Moonlight is my second favorite right behind Gimmie Fiction. I think it's fantastic and the songs are completely there for me It's probably the most enjoyable over all album for me, but Fiction has such huge tracks on it that I always give it top bill. I too rate GaGaGawhatever pretty low, maybe dead last or right above Girls Can Tell. Haven't heard Telephono or Sneaks.

I will say this about Fiction, "Beast and Dragon, Adored" is their best song. Period.

I think I'll start listening to them again. Now you bitches go post in my Passion Pit thread.

Speaking of Texan and hipster, ACL lineup is out in 52 minutes. Thread forthcoming if it doesn't suck.

Headliner: Creed Reunion
Sidestage: Limp Bizkit

Have fun, Imperor, you succeeding from the union Texan bastard.

I actually think Sister Jack is the one of the greatest pop creations I've ever heard, and is my favorite on GF, but I guess Beast & Dragon is more "interesting".

I'm surprised you're so down on Ga x5, Scumbo. While it's a bit of a hodgepodge, it's not really offensive or anything. And Girls Can Tell is last?! Wow.

You're right Imperor, a big range of opinion on The Spoon.

LM, don't get your hopes up too high for Telephono and you won't be disappointed. It's a pretty raw affair, doesn't really sound like them for the most part. But I will say that closer Plastic Mylar is probably in my Spoon Top 5, Nefarious is great, as is The Government Darling. The Soft Effects EP (came out between this and A Series of Sneaks) is probably more consistent.

Also, I understand that A Series of Sneaks isn't very ambitious, and is really short, but the album is nearly perfect in my mind. They totally carved out their own place with that thing, and if it had been on Matador instead of Elektra it probably would have a much more legendary place in the Indie Rock canon.

Mother god damn fucker. Fucking ACL drops the ball two years in a row. What a joke. Son of a fuck.

http://2009.aclfestival.com/

Anyway, Telephono definitely has its moments and I actually like it more than Sneaks. I guess if I had to rank them, it'd go like this:

Moonlight
Gimme Fiction
Girls Can Tell
Ga^5
Telephono
Sneaks

I'm surprised you're so down on Ga x5, Scumbo. While it's a bit of a hodgepodge, it's not really offensive or anything. And Girls Can Tell is last?! Wow.

I don't have anything negative to say about either, I just enjoy the other two albums more.

Other than a few of the headliners, I don't think the lineup looks that bad, Imperor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom