Interference Random Music Talk Part III: The One Not Ruined by Sofia Coppola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the Stereophonics output can be sketchy at times, but I do think Kelly Jones has a great rock voice....just listening to an acoustic performance from Jools Holland of Maybe Tomorrow.

Listen to his solo album, it's probably his best moment

:yes: I do like his voice a lot. Nice sandpapery quality to it and quite disctinct as well. It's a shame that it's much better than his band's output, which IMO is mostly average with a few good songs. Their Best Of is probably the best album they're ever going to produce.

I really think they're incredibly underrated, their debut and fifth album are really great albums. The only album I'm not really into is their last one. When the band slows down and Kelly's voice is up front it's really great music

:bump:

XTC's Skylarking is an amazing album. It's like summer itself, captured on wax, and produced by Todd Rundgren. Very eccentric lyricism and instrumentation, balanced by delectable, naturally pleasing melodies. The first four tracks in particular kick ass.

One of my favourite albums ever...personal favourites being 1000 Umbrellas and Sacrificial Bonfire.

That said I need to check out more of their stuff as I only have one other album by them White Music featuring their cover of All Along the Watchtower.

Apple Venus Vol. 1 is unbelievable. Like Skylarking, it's extremely cohesive, and boasts some great melodies. I have Oranges & Lemons too, which has some awesome singles, but a ton of filler as well. And it hasn't aged well due to overproduction.

Thanks for the tips will keep an eye out! But Skylarking is one of the most poptastic records ever:up:

Too bad there is no sun around to enjoy it fully...but i'm finding Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes may be my new Winter albums, perfect for this time of year.

Yep, listened to Bon Iver today and Fleet Foxes yesterday, and they're wonderful records for this time of year. I just wanted a shot of summertime for whatever reason, and Skylarking delivered.

If you want another shot of summer I advise you check out Dogs Die in Hot Cars...they are like the spiritual successor to XTC.

Huh. I've heard the name in the past. It appears they only have one album, so I'll check that out. Thanks, LJT. :up:

:bump:

XTC's Skylarking is an amazing album. It's like summer itself, captured on wax, and produced by Todd Rundgren. Very eccentric lyricism and instrumentation, balanced by delectable, naturally pleasing melodies. The first four tracks in particular kick ass.

Good call. Great album. Haven't listened to it in a while, though. The first few songs are definitely great and I also love 'Earn Enough For Us' and 'Dear God'. The latter being one of my favorite songs ever.

If you want another shot of summer I advise you check out Dogs Die in Hot Cars...they are like the spiritual successor to XTC.

Hmm, I hear more of a Talking Heads influence. Regardless, I love the first Dogs Die in Hot Cars album.

Did Dogs break up after the initial album? I haven't heard anything about them since it.

When they came out I only ever heard people compare them with XTC.

They have been on a hiatus...will they won't they break up kinda thing...they have a vague second album thing they are workin on though...

Second Album Project

They want people to download their demos, write new parts for them and upload them...when released contributing writers get 50% of the royalties.

We both win, LJT, the Allmusic biography on the band mentions both XTC and Talking Heads in the first sentence:

Even though their bright, peppy pop recalls Dexy's Midnight Runners, Big Country, XTC, Talking Heads, and other new wave luminaries, Fife, Scotland's Dogs Die in Hot Cars grew up on a musical diet of Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

:cool:

No I win....XTC come before Talking Heads in the list...

aww shucks I'll let it go this time:wink:

It's embarrassing that I post all over a U2 forum all day long, every day, and I had to learn from Pitchfork that the new U2 album title and release date were announced today....

It's embarrassing that I post all over a U2 forum all day long, every day, and I had to learn from Pitchfork that the new U2 album title and release date were announced today....

No Line On The Horizon :drool:

March 2nd baby. Celebrate with us, mofo.

Someone needs to post necessary U2 news here for me, otherwise I miss it all. It's too hard to scroll through 75 pages of people saying "Sweet!" about announcements to know what the hell is going on.

It's embarrassing that I learned it from you just now this minute except now I still have to go look for the title.

Oh wait...

Someone needs to post necessary U2 news here for me, otherwise I miss it all. It's too hard to scroll through 75 pages of people saying "Sweet!" about announcements to know what the hell is going on.

That makes two of us. I usually count on martha to PM me with things I need to know but I guess she's busy. :angry:

That entire section of the forum is going to need to be quarantined come March. I know I won't be checking it at all. That's why we'll need a thread to discuss it in B&C that doesn't get moved. But it will invariably get traffic from those who aren't in the established crew, which could skew things.

I've got problems, man.

I'm debating the purchase of the Four Seasons' Jersey Beat box-set because I want the new masters. But is the 76-song collection for $38 really worth it when I only really want about 12-15 of the songs? I mean, I could spend $12-15 on just the songs that I already know. But that's a worse deal. I mean, if I get all 76, then it's only $.50 each. :reject:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom