In Defense of "Crash" - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:14 AM
I enjoy Dancing With The Stars, I loved Brokeback Mountain. I am an equal opportunity entertainment ho

Old 03-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

i read somewhere that "crash" was a movie for white people who like to tell you that many of their best friends are black. and then they wondered if the shouts that we heard when Jack announced the winner were the sounds of Hollywood hugging their maids ...

don't get me wrong, i liked "crash." i just can think of 4 better movies.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i read somewhere that "crash" was a movie for white people who like to tell you that many of their best friends are black.
Sounds like the perfect movie for George Costanza
Old 03-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #79
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
generally speaking, this is the CW in the film/television industry and the industry itself is reeling as it tries to deal with what might be called "new media."
I read an interesting article awhile back about the impact of the burgeoning DVD market on what films get made and how they're marketed. Essentially the argument was that this will marginalize "serious" films/TV all the more, because the majority of DVD buyers are young men and mostly what they want is easy-to-watch action films, and now it's easier than ever before for them to focus their entertainment dollars on the tried-and-true.

I suppose this must be an even more dire problem for the TV industry--you can have movies without cinemas, but you can't very well have TV without television audiences...can you? Maybe something like the iTunes route?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I have six years of collegiate-level media education, including film studies, and I'm an aspiring screenwriter/director/editor (i.e., film auteur) myself.

In other words, I have a good idea of what's good, what's bad, and what's just plain mediocre.

Jerry Bruckheimer has been associated with close to 50 movies and he doesn't ahve a clue "what's good, what's bad, and what's just plain mediocre".....

Old 03-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Capote was the only one of the nominated movies that was worth a damn. It should have won. Munich was alright, but you could tell Speilberg didn't have complete control over the story.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:53 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Pretentious Assholes Unite!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
Jerry Bruckheimer has been associated with close to 50 movies and he doesn't ahve a clue "what's good, what's bad, and what's just plain mediocre".....

Bruckheimer just taps into the basest of human psychology to crank out hits. Just as Americans listen to music based on how pretty the musicians are and vote based on a candidate's image (rather than platform), Bruckheimer knows that movies and TV are pretty much the same. Throw in a bunch of pretty people dressed up in trendy clothes working "cool" jobs and who cares about the script?

Melon
Old 03-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Bruckheimer just taps into the basest of human psychology to crank out hits. Just as Americans listen to music based on how pretty the musicians are and vote based on a candidate's image (rather than platform), Bruckheimer knows that movies and TV are pretty much the same. Throw in a bunch of pretty people dressed up in trendy clothes working "cool" jobs and who cares about the script?

Melon

My point is (simply) that if you find yourself arguing your credentials you have already failed....
Old 03-07-2006, 03:40 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm really beginning to get irritated that I have been unable to see any of the other Oscar contenders. I only set out to explain why I liked "Crash", not argue that it should win. As I already mentioned I didn't expect it to be nominanted and I certainly didn't expect it to win. To tell the truth, my money was on Brokeback, just cause of the buzz. I mean how could it not win.

I can't really argue whether it should have won not having seen the other contenders. Perhaps they ARE more deserving, thought that wouldn't lessen my opinion of "Crash." And anyone who's noted some of the films that have won in the past should know that the Academy hardly picks "the best film of the year." Speaking as a person who enjoyed "Titanic", I still don't think it deserved the title "best film of the year." It was hardly groundbreaking.

Just a couple of random responses to the latest posts:

If You Shout. . .always interested in further commentary.

Not everyone who liked "Crash" is a white liberal. Some of us are black.

I can't stand anything Bruckheimer's touched (with the exception of the Amazing Race. And Top Gun (he was involved in that right). But then I was in sixth grade when I first saw Top Gun so maybe that explains that). You can't hide material that bad behind any kind of "pretty people."
Old 03-07-2006, 03:45 AM   #86
War Child

Local Time: 02:14 PM
I didn't see any of the movies up for best picture this year.

I really, REALLY want to see Crash though. I have heard good things about it.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:56 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Dulce,

If you've read any of this thread, you probably have a heard a lot of really bad things about it too.

Try to view it with an open mind.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:14 AM
It's a good movie. It's a bit too exaggerrated and almost too blatant to be realistic.

I thought it was kind of charicature of what reality must be like in the states.

Here in Honduras, everyone is Honduran and that's that.

Can't wait till Brokeback is released on DVD so I can compare them both.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:15 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's the same way here in Saipan. I love living in places where people are just people. I mean, yeah there's prejudice everywhere (Chinese, Bangledeshis, and Filipinos tend to face discrimination here), but the kind of issues the U.S. has are just beyond the pale.

I'm wondering if anyone has a film that they feels deals with racial issues better than "Crash"--that's more realistic, less "cliche", and not "manipulative".

Another question? How should the "Crash" story have been told? What changes would have made it better?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #90
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 05:14 AM
for one thing, crash might have been better if the characters hadn't been so completely one-sided. or if any one of them had had a little depth.

they were either "racist" or "not racist"

and nothing more.