Hell For Certain, Kentucky Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eric2.jpg

Mt Smart #2. It's a bit different now, there's an area in that photo on the far side cordoned off, it now has a small building on it with a balcony that has a great view.

I feel sorry for this tram. It was retired and sent to be lovingly looked after by the heritage fleet guys ... then a boost in patronage meant that it was pressed back into regular service late last year!

But it means I can photograph it! This is Z1 #1. When it was delivered in 1975, it was Melbourne's first new tram since 1956 (barring a one-off import in 1963) and completely revolutionised things. Previously, the W class were dominant. The arrival of Z1 #1 was proof Melbourne's tram network, unlike almost every other one in the English-speaking world, had survived the 1960s' closures. :up:

s640x480

Rock the fuck on, Z1 #1.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
After another storm:

I caught the sky changing colour :D

Oooh, neat. Those remind me of Queensland.

That's the one thing that makes me laugh about Melbourne - we get these "storm" warnings and I sit around thinking "well, OK, so it's raining, but this isn't really a storm, now is it?"

Axver said:

Oooh, neat. Those remind me of Queensland.

That's the one thing that makes me laugh about Melbourne - we get these "storm" warnings and I sit around thinking "well, OK, so it's raining, but this isn't really a storm, now is it?"

I always enjoy going to Queensland for the superb thunderstorms.

s640x480

Z1 #1 changing tracks so that it can leave the Dudley Street terminus.

Axver said:
I feel sorry for this tram. It was retired and sent to be lovingly looked after by the heritage fleet guys ... then a boost in patronage meant that it was pressed back into regular service late last year!

But it means I can photograph it! This is Z1 #1. When it was delivered in 1975, it was Melbourne's first new tram since 1956 (barring a one-off import in 1963) and completely revolutionised things. Previously, the W class were dominant. The arrival of Z1 #1 was proof Melbourne's tram network, unlike almost every other one in the English-speaking world, had survived the 1960s' closures. :up:

s640x480

Rock the fuck on, Z1 #1.

Historic transport things still being used for their intended purpose :up:

coolian2 said:
The number 2 ground and the main stadium are connected by a tunnel. It's really cool.

Hah, neat.

What I liked about Mt Smart Stadium when I visited for U2 was walking from Penrose station along the then disused Onehunga branch railway!

Glad to see that's now being restored. I understand they're going to put in a station for Mt Smart Stadium. :up:

coolian2 said:
I love the idea of building the stadium into the quarried remains of a volcanic cone.
Haha, awesome. :lol:

All of Mexico city is pretty much inside a MASSIVE crater... which leads to all manner of air pollution issues, to say nothing of the sediments under the buildings tending to liquefy during an earthquake. :yikes:

Axver said:

Hah, neat.

What I liked about Mt Smart Stadium when I visited for U2 was walking from Penrose station along the then disused Onehunga branch railway!

Glad to see that's now being restored. I understand they're going to put in a station for Mt Smart Stadium. :up:

I'd noticed that the railway lines had been pulled up, it's good to learn they're just being relaid

Alisaura said:

My camera doesn't have a sport mode, or image stabilisation.

Hence, many of my U2 concert pics look like this:

streakylights.jpg

:lol:

Here's an attempt to photograph a train from the Flinders Lane/Market Street intersection one night, proving my camera is fucking useless at night-time.

s640x480

coolian2 said:

That's what i get with my nice camera. Hence why i took my El Budget camera to U2

101_1400.jpg

You can probably see Utoo, his wife, and I in that picture. If I'm not grossly mistaken, that's the first gig. I was inside the arms of the ellipse, between Bono and Adam's spot in the second row.

Axver said:

You can probably see Utoo, his wife, and I in that picture. If I'm not grossly mistaken, that's the first gig. I was inside the arms of the ellipse, between Bono and Adam's spot in the second row.

You're quite right, it is the first gig.

I should get the non-resized versions off my external hard drive and let you look for yourself

coolian2 said:

I'd noticed that the railway lines had been pulled up, it's good to learn they're just being relaid

Yep, they're bringing that line back into service for both passengers and freight. Last passenger trains ran in 1973, so this is a pretty big thing in the railway community. I believe it's meant to be operational sometime next year, though I'm wondering where the fuck the extra rollingstock's going to come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom