Haunting Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moonlit_Angel said:
Remembered the song I forgot earlier:

The End-Doors.

Especially with the way it's used in "Apocalypse Now".

Angela

in the movie, yes. very much so.

but if you're driving around at work in a golf cart while your boss is on vacation, on a sunny friday afternoon, not even that song is creepy...

the pogues doing "worms"...no, that's not haunting...that's just gross...which explains why i lunge towards the cd player every time "the broad majestic shannon" ends...it's to avoid that song...

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
"a day in the life", the beatles

:yes: :yes: :yes:

And I'll add Amstredam - Coldplay, Uninvited - Alanis Morisette, Never Is a Promise - Fiona Apple, Winter/Precious Things - Tori Amos, Silence - Delerium (and Sarah McLachlan), #1 Crush - Garbage (whoch is more just scary than haunting), Eve - Chantal Kreviazuk, Thief/Annie - OLP (one haunting, one scary)

Moonlit_Angel said:
Metallica's "One" deals with the true story of this guy who lost his arms, legs, and face in the Vietnam War (I believe that's the one). I can't remember if he stepped on a landmine or if a bomb exploded right in front of him. And he's laying there in a bed-the only way he can communicate is by Morse Code by beating his head against the headboard of his bed, and in the video, he keeps saying "S.O.S."-he wants someone to just put him out of his misery. And at the end of the video, he's laying there all alone and all you hear is "S.O.S....help me...", and now every time I hear that song I think of that story and the end of that video and it's just creepy.

Angela

I believe this is the book "Johnny got his Gun" also a movie.

deep said:

I believe this is the book "Johnny got his Gun" also a movie.

Yep, also those things, too.

IWasBored, no, in a golf cart on a sunny afternoon, I'd imagine that song wouldn't be creepy.

But if you're listening to the radio late at night, in your room, and the house is totally dark, and you're alone in your room...it's creepy.

I guess the part that's the creepiest is the part about the killer-I mean, when you listen to it in a dark room by yourself, and that part comes up...eehh.

Angela

OMG, i know this one...but to be fair, it's really not the song so much, but the video that is haunting. those black and white images of that guy w that creepy, boxy cover over his head, nodding the morse code for s.o.s. from his hospital bed...my heavy metal friends lived for this video...that crunchy guitar and james hetfield's raspy voice..."landmine...has taken my arms, taken my legs, left me with life in HELL!!!"

*shudder*

bonosgirl84 said:
OMG, i know this one...but to be fair, it's really not the song so much, but the video that is haunting. those black and white images of that guy w that creepy, boxy cover over his head, nodding the morse code for s.o.s. from his hospital bed...my heavy metal friends lived for this video...that crunchy guitar and james hetfield's raspy voice..."landmine...has taken my arms, taken my legs, left me with life in HELL!!!"

*shudder*

:yes:

Yes.

Angela

hmmmmm......

Well, I have to agree about Miss Sarajevo!! And definetly "One" from Metallica. I saw the video for it a coupla nights ago and it freaked me out how I remembered every word and moment in that video...prolly haven't seen it or listened to it in 10+ years!!!

Another song I think is haunting is ANY song off Bjork's Vespertine album.

I decided to make a mix disc of really dark and haunting songs because of this thread, and this is what I have so far:

1. John Lennon--"Mother"
2. Jeff Buckley--"Dream Brother"
3. Neil Young--"Song X"
4. Ben Harper--"Another Lonely Day"
5. Pearl Jam--"Dead Man"
6. PJ Harvey--"Beautiful Feeling"
7. U2--"Acrobat"
8. The Beatles--"A Day In the Life"
9. Pink Floyd--"Astronomy Domine"
10. The Passengers--"Corpse"
11. Radiohead--"Climbing Up the Walls"
12. The Doors--"The End"

I can fit a few more songs on it, so I'll be hunting down some of the ones mentioned here or thinking of some others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom