Gnaw Bone, Indiana Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had early morning procrasti-baking down to a fine art during undergrad.

You could have at least stopped in Tirau and checked if the great second-hand bookshop has recovered from when I bought ALL THE HISTORY BOOKS there some years ago.

Also for those not on Facebook or Twitter, I went to the supermarket on the way home. I rode a lift with a priest, while wearing a shirt that says arse biscuits on the front.

Careful now.

That was where I stopped on the way down! It was still too early in the day for anything to be open.

I hope that bookshop is still there. It was an excellent place. I remember going through there more recently and the cafe next door to it that seemed to be associated in some way was now closed.

I love that the info centre is a sheep and sheepdog. It's tacky country New Zealand done perfectly.

Also, folks, I'm pretty overwhelmed by global events.

I just want a quiet life as a historian of nineteenth-century Australia and New Zealand. I want a cosy office in which to pump out books on the topics that fascinate me to a small but appreciative audience and let posterity judge my contribution to understanding who we are. But I've taught genocide studies for six years and my most popular scholarly article is on genocide. I've known I'm good at genocide studies since the very first year of my undergraduate study, but always resisted getting in too deep. Teaching it for a semester, or writing the occasional article, meant I maintained my professional expertise but it didn't overwhelm me.

But I feel dragged back in and I no longer know if I should resist. Is this where I can contribute something of real value?

I hope that bookshop is still there. It was an excellent place. I remember going through there more recently and the cafe next door to it that seemed to be associated in some way was now closed.

I love that the info centre is a sheep and sheepdog. It's tacky country New Zealand done perfectly.
I know there was plenty of signage for cheap books, so it's promising.

I know there was plenty of signage for cheap books, so it's promising.

Good! Not that I have any bloody clue when I'm next likely to be in that part of the world. I expect any New Zealand travel in the short term will be to Wellington, the South Island, or wherever there is a conference. I hope there's a good one in an odd location to give me an excuse to go somewhere novel. There are societies for mining and forest history that went to Waihi and Greymouth fairly recently, so it's possible. I'd love somebody to book a Coromandel conference just so I can finally go there.

Just on a random thought (since apparently I'm going to the cricket on no sleep), it's amazing how you change. My girlfriend is a smoker, and while I don't love it, I see past it for the person I like. Maturity is weird.

Once upon a time that was a deal breaker. Now? It's nothing more than nobody's perfect, and if you have a vice but you're better company than anyone else I can imagine? Worth it. I'm sure as fuck not perfect and I know people don't mind my company despite my imperfections.

I mean ffs a former co-worker called me perfect today. Mainly because the discussion was around being at the end of what you could handle, breaking down, confidence and she couldn't believe my honesty around the struggles I've attempted to hide for a while.

Ooookay that should probably be the last beer.

I was only going to use three strips of bacon to make my dinner.

Accidentally pulled out five and it's impossible to put them back in the packet. Oh what a shame.

I never just cook "some" bacon. If bacon is happening, it's the whole package or nothing. And it always all gets eaten.

There was that one time I made the whole package assuming my boyfriend would be eating some of it. He declined because he was already full. I kept going back to the kitchen for "just one more slice" until it was all gone.

And as far as what my country is doing right now, I live in a small city, but I'm going to to attending an organized peaceful protest in front of our City Hall building. I can think of some really stark things to put on a sign, but I will probably just go with the "CoeXisT" thing.

Last edited:
i purposely took a 9-6 shift so i could work approximately the same shift as my boyfriend. :depressed: i am so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so-ooo very much not a morning person. but we work at the same place in the same building (seriously, it's not called apple campus for nothing) so not only did it seem ridiculous to work different shifts, but the other had me getting home an hour or so before he'd be going to bed, so we'd hardly get to see each other during the week, and no snuggling. sometimes we go to bed an hour early just to snuggle, and that's not even a euphemism.

on the plus side, school has me so stressed out that i'm now actually tired around 10 pm on weeknights. we have slightly different days off (i'm off friday/saturday, he's off saturday/sunday) and i actually go to bed earlier on saturday nights than he does since it's a worknight for me*. grandma katie, everyone.
*some times like last night i go to bed at 2 am because i'm stoned but it was still earlier than him so even though it was late af it counts, right?

But on the bright side, I made rice krispie treats.
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom