Germany vs. USA - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2002, 09:33 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
argh! and that almost goal by the US at the very end was soooooo close. oh well. I'm proud of my boys. The US team did a great job this year and I can't wait to see what happens in four years. As for the World Cup itself, I think there are alot of Americans-- myself included-- that are finally started to figure out how cool this soccer thing is.
Which almost goal...the first one in the first half at point-blank range by Donovan, the second one in the first half at point-blank range by Donovan, the volley by Berhalter that was saved by Kahn and a defender on the goal line (the ball brushed the defender's arm, but you can't really blame the ref for missing it as it happened so quickly), or the header by Sanneh in the 90th minute that went inches wide of the post?

Old 06-21-2002, 09:36 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Yeah, way to go USA. As for fouling, what about Torsten Frings' hand-ball? Revenge for Mexico, I guess. Anyway, USA played great today, they kept the pressure up and if it hadn't been for Oliver Kahn they'd have won it comprehensively. Hopefully in four years they'll come just as far, if not further.

Old 06-21-2002, 09:43 AM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
The US dirty? Not more than most teams.

And for a team that was supposedly bigger, stronger and physically superior, the Germans seemed to go down awfully easily after contact...

too true

Germany played a great game and I'm not taking anything away from them

But they went down like women, it was almost embarrasing to watch some of those dives.

that's football sometimes , just gotta deal with it. America has nothing to be ashamed of.

Except for the MLS lol
Old 06-21-2002, 09:47 AM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Normal

blah. Nothing much to say... Germany did take tons of dives but that's no excuse for their win I know. Damn that missed hand ball! But good game U.S.!! I'm proud of our boys!!
feck I wish they woulda beat em though.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:32 AM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Couldn't watch the whole match...just some bits of it. I'm more like a zombie this morning, after our match against England, the whole night awake and having to work after that, but....I was routing for USA. Too bad they won't go any further, but it was a good and decent campaign, you guys must be proud of your team and players...Some good surprises in the near future, maybe?
Old 06-21-2002, 10:52 AM   #36
AM
Refugee

Local Time: 02:07 PM
ok, its 1:0 for Germany.

Germany did not play nice-to-look-at soccer, but they did what they had to do. At the end its the goals that count.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:53 AM   #37
AM
Refugee

wink

definition of soccer:

2 teams, 22 players are chasing a ball over a big field.....

..... and Germany wins

Old 06-21-2002, 10:55 AM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 04:07 PM
According to that definition teh germans must be aamazing they managed to chase teh ball while laying on the ground for half the game

Quote:
Originally posted by AM
definition of soccer:

2 teams, 22 players are chasing a ball over a big field.....

..... and Germany wins

Old 06-21-2002, 11:11 AM   #39
Babyface

Germany ended up winning 1-0. It still was the best World Cup showing ever for the USA
Old 06-21-2002, 11:24 AM   #40
Refugee

Local Time: 09:07 AM
lol @ arun's take on the def of soccer!

i am very proud of our team! we anticipated a tough match but did not back down, we took it to them! i have great hopes for our team in 2006! we are still climbing, we have alot of young talent and i truly believe its only a matter of time.

about frings handball, that was not revenge for the mexico call, bad calls happen in all professional sports, so its no different here. refs are human and are not expected to be at every foul, every play of every minute of a match.
USA!USA!USA! USA!USA!USA! USA!USA!USA!

have to post our flag!! woohoo!
Old 06-21-2002, 12:23 PM   #41
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Arun V
According to that definition teh germans must be aamazing they managed to chase teh ball while laying on the ground for half the game

Actually Arun, Mani remarks are about correct, USA was lucky to finish the game with 11 men, but you will not see Germany complain about rudeness, and you most know that if some players in the world don't dive, those are the Germans, USA played the kind of game they needed , same as Germany, they don't have a fancy team as in the past but this guys have a lot of patience, and confidence in their game. The game was won with the team that was more accurate, experience counts.
Oliver Kahn is remarkable.
The remark of AM, actually was done by Gary Lineker.
I guess the world press most be happy that Brazil and Germany, teams that were not conted as favorites, are in the semis, while the fancy Argentina, France and England are out. History counts.
For the part of England I guess their only consolation is thet this time it wasn't Germany or Argentina the ones that eliminated them.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:26 PM   #42
Refugee

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sparkys girl
i am very proud of our team! we anticipated a tough match but did not back down, we took it to them! i have great hopes for our team in 2006! we are still climbing, we have alot of young talent and i truly believe its only a matter of time.

and

Old 06-21-2002, 12:36 PM   #43
AM
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by rafmed

I guess the world press most be happy that Brazil and Germany, teams that were not conted as favorites, are in the semis, while the fancy Argentina, France and England are out. History

I actually wanted to see Germany and England in the finals.

And yes, it was Gary Linecker who said this. Great player!
Old 06-21-2002, 01:06 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkys girl

about frings handball, that was not revenge for the mexico call, bad calls happen in all professional sports, so its no different here. refs are human and are not expected to be at every foul, every play of every minute of a match.

You deserve the Fair Play trophy, trully sportmanship, or is it sportwomanship?
Old 06-21-2002, 01:18 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by rafmed

Actually Arun, Mani remarks are about correct, USA was lucky to finish the game with 11 men, but you will not see Germany complain about rudeness, and you most know that if some players in the world don't dive, those are the Germans, USA played the kind of game they needed , same as Germany, they don't have a fancy team as in the past but this guys have a lot of patience, and confidence in their game. The game was won with the team that was more accurate, experience counts.
Hogwash.

The US did foul Germany a large number of times, but about as often as the US fouled Germany, German players were going down after being brushed on the shoulder. And the US isn't going to complain about the refereeing, because the ref did a great job of not calling fouls on those plays.

And Claudio Reyna's foul on Jens Jeremies? Perhaps red cardable, but Jeremies absolutely wrestled Reyna down in the box, leading to Reyna's retaliation. (Interestingly enough, Reyna and Jeremies were seen embracing after the game.)

Congratulations to Germany though, they dominated the air and converted on their chances. We didn't.