Fingringhoe, Essex Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything exciting happen around these parts while I was asleep?

Or just dead as usual?

:lol: I see U2387 made another stupidly long post in Dalton's "JUST RIGHT" thread.

:hug:

The Fawlty Towers episode Waldorf Salad has some great interaction between Fawlty and an American tourist who wants a screwdriver. "So ... that's two screwdrivers and neither of you want anything to drink?"

Alisaura said:
Whee, people!

No uni today, Ax? :wink:

Hey Ali! :wave:

Shouldn't you be at work? :tsk:

Wednesday is one of my days off. Not that it's going to be much of a day off as I have plenty of work to do.

Wait ... Ali and Mia, you aren't allowed to be on a thread at the same time! This will cause the universe to implode!

Axver said:
Shouldn't you be at work? :tsk:

Wednesday is one of my days off. Not that it's going to be much of a day off as I have plenty of work to do.
Erk...

I've got a doctor's appt at 4.15, so I called in sick...

Also, I love how it seems my hatred of One has become so commonplace and boring that nobody responded to me calling it cheesy in that U2's cheesiest song thread on EYKIW. I bet if some n00b had made exactly the same post I did, it would have gotten a response! :laugh:

unico said:
i know right? every time i finish off a degree i say "never again!" lol then guess what happens.
Heheheh... I only did one and a bit degrees before I decided that I couldn't do it all again.

What's this degree in?

Alisaura said:

Erk...

I've got a doctor's appt at 4.15, so I called in sick...

Ah, right. Today's a good day to have a sleep-in. I struggled to convince myself to get up this morning.

unico said:

i know right? every time i finish off a degree i say "never again!" lol then guess what happens.

Here I am planning to take things all the way to PhD level. Way to make me look forward to it all ... :uhoh:

Axver said:
Also, I love how it seems my hatred of One has become so commonplace and boring that nobody responded to me calling it cheesy in that U2's cheesiest song thread on EYKIW. I bet if some n00b had made exactly the same post I did, it would have gotten a response! :laugh:
*is feeling fevered and reckless*

I put it to you, Ax, that your alleged hatred of One is not genuinely your own hatred of One.

You told me yourself that you didn't have any strong feelings about it one way or the other before you started posting here, and that you only started disliking it because most of the other people seemed to love it unreservedly.

Therefore, you do not actually hate One, but rather you hate the apparently unthinking adoration of lots of other people for it. Because left to your own devices, you didn't really care about it either way, and your current avowed feelings of antipathy are a direct reaction to the feelings of others.

Or something like that.

:wink:

(also, I just think you like being The Guy Who Hates One a leeeeetle bit too much :D)

unico said:
in may i start my doctorate. for now im taking some prerequisite courses. haha i just finished my master's last may.
Oooh. Congrats on the Masters! :applaud:

(You're gonna have to remind me what field you're studying... :reject: )

Alisaura said:

Oooh. Congrats on the Masters! :applaud:

(You're gonna have to remind me what field you're studying... :reject: )

oh it changes every time! that's the best part.

Bachelor of Arts - Political Science
Master of Arts in Education - Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
and then in May I begin my Doctor of Chiropractic

YES YES I know there is a great program in Melbourne. I should've applied there, it's cheaper, :blahblah:

Even afterwards, I wanna get a M.Phil in Global Health to sort of narrow the focus of my practice. And Chiropractors are required to get postgraduate certificates every few years from what I hear, to stay with the evolving field.

Alisaura said:

*is feeling fevered and reckless*

I put it to you, Ax, that your alleged hatred of One is not genuinely your own hatred of One.

You told me yourself that you didn't have any strong feelings about it one way or the other before you started posting here, and that you only started disliking it because most of the other people seemed to love it unreservedly.

Therefore, you do not actually hate One, but rather you hate the apparently unthinking adoration of lots of other people for it. Because left to your own devices, you didn't really care about it either way, and your current avowed feelings of antipathy are a direct reaction to the feelings of others.

Or something like that.

:wink:

(also, I just think you like being The Guy Who Hates One a leeeeetle bit too much :D)

:lol:

Actually, that's pretty close to the truth. Left to my own devices, I'd completely apathetically ignore it. It just seemed to me to be another one of those U2 songs like Stuck In A Moment that's of a style I don't like, so I just skip it and that's the end of that.

Then I come here and my attention is drawn to the song by all the people praising it as a classic. I can't apathetically ignore it, so I realise just how shit it actually is. So although I genuinely dislike the song, it's only because my attention was drawn to it. It's not that I hate it because of other people worshipping it, but that other people worshipping it meant I gave it enough time of day to formulate an opinion about it beyond apathy.

Alisaura said:

It certainly sounds like a day better spent indoors! :uhoh:

It keeps intermittently raining here. And not just gentle rain, but rain being flung at my lounge window like gunfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom