Enough of the hate...this is for the bands you love - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Enough of the hate...this is for the bands you love

Most of us really dislike the "I Hate [insert band name here]" threads, so here's a thread to promote bands you love. I'm thinking this could be a good thread for bands that aren't really well known and wouldn't really carry a thread all by themselves.

So name some less well known bands you love (and tell a bit about them too) -- maybe someone else will find a new love too.

I'll post a few a bit later...I just realised I have to hit the post office and the bank and it's getting late.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:37 AM
I've been listening to The Damnwells lately.... they're a great new band. Bastards of the Beat is a great album and most fans of rock music should be able to appreciate it. Any other fans out there?

Old 06-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:37 AM
None of the following are particularly obscure, but they are all under-rated in my view, and I haven't seen any references here, at least not recently, so:-

(1) The Waterboys - Lead singer/lyricist Mike Scott has had a long career in music with many interesting twists and turns and has lived, at various times, in a commune in the Scottish highlands, the West of Ireland, downtown Manhattan, London and Dublin, absorbing new influences in each place. His musical associate Steve Wyndham provided the electric piano parts on 'The Unforgettable Fire', incidentally. They had a number of UK/Irish chart hits in the late '80's. After a few patchy solo albums from Mike Scott, the reformed band put out the excellent 'A Rock in the Weary Land' in 2002. If you like traditional Celtic music blended with rock, with the emphasis on rock, you will enjoy the Waterboys. Key word: soulful.

(2) The KLF - pretty big in the UK in the early '90's but now seemingly under-rated. Pretty much singehandedly invented rave/dance culture.

(3) The Associates - early '80's duo consisting of a very talented lead singer and even more talented multi-instrumentalist. The charismatic lead singer Billy McKenzie had a truly unique vocal style. Bono referred to them in the recent Mojo interview, incidentally. Not that that matters but it shows his tastes have not gone totally mainstream/middle of the road,

(4) The Shamen - Like number 2, big in the UK and some other parts of Europe in the early '90s but now under-rated. Took dance music to a whole level.

(5) Whipping Boy - Didn't really make it big outside Ireland, but Hot Press voted their 1995 album 'Heartworm' number 4 in a recent list of the best ever albums by Irish artists. Key word: angry. If Acrobat is one of your favourite U2 tracks, I guarantee you will like this band.

Zoomerang96, I will leave it to you to extol the merits of Future Sound of London.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
War Child

The Jane Anchor. They're from Philly; female lead vocals, somewhat jangle pop, though are prone to rocking, melodic outbursts featuring big drums, pulsing bass and cranked up guitars. You can stream their album at www.thejaneanchor.com
Old 06-21-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
The Fly

i love pet shop
Old 06-21-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:37 PM
I like U2. A rare thing on these boards.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Jeez guys, any chance you could come up with something better than 2 word answers?

Bobby Hewson, what is "Pet Shop", are you referring to the Pet Shop Boys by any chance?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I'd pick Journey ... A 70s and 80s band with AWESOME hit songs ...

There have been several members that were replaced in this band over the years ... such as Aynsley Dunbar (drums) Gregg Rolie (keyboards) and Steve Perry (vocalist). The group is still occasionally touring but I will not go see them anymore since they
replaced Steve Perry. I still love this band ... ... but only because of their older music from some kick-ass albums ... Infinity, Evolution, Departure, Captured (Live album), Escape, Frontiers, Raised On Radio, Greatest Hits Album, Essential Journey CD, and Trial By Fire ...

The reason behind lead vocalist Steve Perry's replacement ??

Steve Perry needed hip replacement surgery. It was around the time of 1996 when Trial By Fire came out. Journey was going to tour again and Steve went to Hawaii beforehand to "get in shape" for the tour. He went mountain climbing and supposedly hurt his hip on the way back down the mountain. When he seeked medical attention, the doctors informed him that he needed surgery. Steve took awhile to decide what was actually the BEST measures to take ... seeking second opinions and other medical advice. The other members of Journey, particularly Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon wanted to get touring. They mentioned to Steve to get the surgery so the tour wouldn't get "held up" any longer than necessary. Steve couldn't do that because he didn't want to make the wrong decision regarding his own health issues. Jonathan and Neal obviously couldn't understand that, so they told Steve he was being replaced. I believe they have very bitter feelings towards each other now since this past issue ...

But I still LOVE their past music with Steve Perry and would NEVER stop listening to it because of
what happened within the band itself ...
Old 06-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Coldplay.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

This is a good idea for a thread but unfortunately MrBrau and Typhoon haven't taken it seriously. Which is a pity as they have good taste in music.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

shit.....i just typed up a few hundred words on an artist not many people are familiar w/ and my internet closed on me

anyway, Keith Caputo (singer of Life of Agony) had a handful of years as a solo artist and he was magnificent.

He is John Lennon, meets the best Coldplay songs you'll hear, and a little bit of Beck.

I highly recommend the album Died Laughing.

Keith's voice is bono-esque in that it is straight from the heart and takes your breath away.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #12
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:37 PM
I seriously love David Bowie's work

'Sound and Vision' is an amazing song

and don't get me started on any of the Ziggy work
Old 06-21-2005, 03:08 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Sigur Ros, Royksopp and Kings of Convenience - I know they're not *that* obscure, but I think all three are ridiculously underrated.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

(2) The KLF - pretty big in the UK in the early '90's but now seemingly under-rated. Pretty much singehandedly invented rave/dance culture.
one of my big guilty pleasures from the early 90s!

Also...

Kula Shaker
Old 06-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Also...

Kula Shaker
Hush