Enough of the hate...this is for the bands you love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got too many to mention but I'll just talk about Grant Lee Phillips. He's such an original singer and songwriter and his songs seem to come from some other dimension, which makes its difficult to believe he lives in LA! His solo work, and his work with Grant Lee Buffalo, are worth checking out!

And I love Squeeze too!

U2, Queen, Thin lizzy, Oasis and Gary Moore(best guitar player to ever come out of Northern ireland, dont want to say all of Ireland on these boards)

I confess to recognising the tune to 'Hey Dude' at a local record store and also mouthing the words to 'Tattva' on occasion.

I think Marco van Basten ought to release records, y'know.

U2/The Clash/Jimi Hendix/The Who/ Rolling Stones/Marvin Gaye/ The Beatles/ Aretha Franklin/Johnny Cash/ Bob Dylan/Bruce Springstien/BB King/ Etta James..........This list could get really long ......but you get the idea!!:dancing:

loving the Kings of leon at the moment. going to see them tomorrow night. kinda wish i lived in america so i could have seen them open for the boys

blueeyedgirl said:
I've got too many to mention but I'll just talk about Grant Lee Phillips. He's such an original singer and songwriter and his songs seem to come from some other dimension, which makes its difficult to believe he lives in LA! His solo work, and his work with Grant Lee Buffalo, are worth checking out!

And I love Squeeze too!

:D :up:.

Also, I've heard a few Grant Lee Philips songs...yeah, he's not too bad, either. I like what I've heard :).

Angela

I came across another artist I love but I never have heard much about

Donovan

one of the most fantastic songwriters ever, imo :up:

His album "Fairytale" is one of my most listened to albums... beautiful songs with incredible storytelling and simple musical arrangements

typhoon said:
Coldplay.

you better have looked in the band index before typing the forbidden C-word.

or else it's ..... I dunno.....curtains?

discothequeLP said:
U2
The Killers
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin -- truly the best rock n' roll band ever

you list the killers in this group of mega-bands?

damn that's harshing my mellow.

AtomicBono said:

they're ok :wink:

I don't see a Velvet Underground thread in the B&C band index... I'm assuming most people know who they are though, Lou Reed, John Cale, wrote some of the greatest songs ever and influenced basically every modern band?

Right, they rule. My personal favourite is their third album which I believe was just called "VU." What Goes On, Pale Blue Eyes, Murder Mystery...:drool:

Other bands I've been listening to lately include Rage Against the Machine, Bright Eyes, Bloc Party, Interpol, Outkast, The Killers, and Alien Ant Farm. All fairly recent bands (except RATM which are obviously split up and Outkast has been around for about 10 years).

I agree completely about the VU. The self-titled one is my fav as well. :up:

If this is supposed to be about obscure bands...I like Spoon, Idlewild, Athlete, Arcade Fire, Interpol, etc...yeah, they're well-known here, but they're not well-known by the general public. That's as close as I get to obscure though. :D

OK...I'm finally back to post something here. (I can just tell you've all suspended your lives just waiting for me to post here again. :D )

The Church -- my favourite band, hands down. They certainly aren't a band for everyone, but for some people (like me :) ) the music of The Church touches us as no other can. Although I'd love to spend hours waxing rhapsodically about them, I don't want everyone to puke. And I describe music about as well as I dance to architecture. :huh:

So... I put a link to the All Music Guide below. It does a pretty good job with the band bio and album reviews, etc. I don't quite agree with all their reviews (I like After Everything Now This a lot more than they do, for example, and their reviewer (s) like Marty's songs a lot more than I do :rolleyes: ...), and there are a few factual errors, but most do a pretty good job of summing each album up. Plus you can sample the songs. :yes:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MIW010506240333&sql=11:0eb1z8bajyvn~T1

And ignore the photos...they are really old! One has the drummer who hasn't been there since 1992 (and never actually officially joined the band -- he made more money not being an official member :huh: ).

Last edited:
Massive Attack
Death in Vegas
Beastie Boys
Foo Fighters
Nine Inch Nails
Moby
Unkle
Radiohead
Portishead
Bjork
The Stone Roses
Kula Shaker
Metallica
Nirvana

blueeyedgirl said:

And I love Squeeze too!

Grant Lee Buffalo were really good. Huge fan here.

indra said:
OK...I'm finally back to post something here. (I can just tell you've all suspended your lives just waiting for me to post here again. :D )

The Church -- my favourite band, hands down. They certainly aren't a band for everyone, but for some people (like me :) ) the music of The Church touches us as no other can. Although I'd love to spend hours waxing rhapsodically about them, I don't want everyone to puke. And I describe music about as well as I dance to architecture. :huh:

So... I put a link to the All Music Guide below. It does a pretty good job with the band bio and album reviews, etc. I don't quite agree with all their reviews (I like After Everything Now This a lot more than they do, for example, and their reviewer (s) like Marty's songs a lot more than I do :rolleyes: ...), and there are a few factual errors, but most do a pretty good job of summing each album up. Plus you can sample the songs. :yes:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MIW010506240333&sql=11:0eb1z8bajyvn~T1

And ignore the photos...they are really old! One has the drummer who hasn't been there since 1992 (and never actually officially joined the band -- he made more money not being an official member :huh: ).

The Church are a great band. criminally underrated. i think most u2 fans would dig them actually. good to see someone into them. i haven't listened to them in a while, but they craft some beautiful songs

purpleblackeye said:

The Church are a great band. criminally underrated. i think most u2 fans would dig them actually. good to see someone into them. i haven't listened to them in a while, but they craft some beautiful songs

How cool to see someone else who knows of The Church. I think I must be Interference's resident Church geek. :rolleyes:

If you haven't listened to them in a while it might be a good time to get reaquainted with them (other people proselytise for their church -- I proselytise for mine ;) ). They have put out a lot of material over the past few years and I'd recommend at least four of the most recent discs (After Everything Now This; Forget Yourself; Beside Yourself (a collection of b-sides and unreleased material from FY); and El Momento Descuidado (a collection of acoustic reworkings of several of their older songs and five new songs).

Plus, several of their older albums are being remastered and rereleased, along with an extra disc of additional material (I do think these might be Australia only releases, but they aren't that hard to get). These rereleases should be happening any time now. I think Starfish; Gold Afternoon Fix; Priest = Aura; and Sometime Anywhere are the albums slated for rerelease.

And in early 2006, their new album Uninvited, Like the Clouds is due to be released, with touring to follow.

So it's a great time to be a Church fan. :yes:

(told you I was a Church geek. :rolleyes: :reject: :D )

LOL, it's okay, indra :hug:. Share your enthusiasm for your favorite band...god knows I've done that with my favorite bands from time to time, not just on here, but on other various boards and offline as well-I've probably annoyed my family to no end talking about them sometimes, hehe :).

I do like the few songs I've heard by the Church...perhaps I'll keep an eye out and check out more of their stuff sometime should I ever come across it.

Angela

Hey, indra, I've been meaning to ask you this for awhile but never got around to it: who's the member of the Church that used to have that really long, gorgeous hair? I don't know if he's still in the band or not but if he's in your signature he doesn't still have that hair. (I think) he's on the far left in this picture.

The Kinks
The Velvet Underground
Neil Young
Interpol
Smashing Pumpkins
Gun n' Roses
The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
The Doors
The Clash
The Ramones
Radiohead
Weezer
Foo Fighters
The Who
I could go on and on. But here's my take on music. It's for everyone. Art is the ultimate equalizer in society; it unites rich and poor, black and white, christian and non-christian, artsy and non artsy. It's real. Art is the science of the soul and the physical representation of God. However, I am sick of people saying that "good" music doesn't include bands like Nirvana and The Ramones. They may not be virtuosos or the fastest soloists, but they write and express with great music. Rock isn't just for the indie-minded or the jam bands, it belongs to everyone.

Tennis05 said:
But here's my take on music. It's for everyone. Art is the ultimate equalizer in society; it unites rich and poor, black and white, christian and non-christian, artsy and non artsy. It's real. Art is the science of the soul and the physical representation of God. However, I am sick of people saying that "good" music doesn't include bands like Nirvana and The Ramones. They may not be virtuosos or the fastest soloists, but they write and express with great music. Rock isn't just for the indie-minded or the jam bands, it belongs to everyone.

:applaud: :up:. I totally agree with you. There's certain music that may not do much for me personally, but if it means something to somebody else, if it's what they truly enjoy, great! Go and listen and party and build memories with it. And I'll continue to enjoy the music that I listen to. And everybody's happy :).

Angela

Bowie
Stone Roses/Ian Brown
Smiths/Morrissey
Echo & Bunnymen
Kate Bush
The Pogues
The Men They Couldn't Hang
New Order
Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry
Iggy Pop
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Kinks
Early Oasis
Bob Dylan
Lou Reed/Velvet Underground
The Cult
The Undertones
Sex Pistols
Feeder
Elvis
Graham Parker
Joe Jackson
Guns'n'Roses
Donna Summer
Madness
'60's-'70's Fleetwood Mac
The Buzzcocks
James
Radiohead, up to OK Comp.
Morcheeba
Blondie

alia612 said:
Hey, indra, I've been meaning to ask you this for awhile but never got around to it: who's the member of the Church that used to have that really long, gorgeous hair? I don't know if he's still in the band or not but if he's in your signature he doesn't still have that hair. (I think) he's on the far left in this picture.

That would be Marty Willson-Piper. He's still with the band (they just do the Spinal Tap thing with drummers), he's the one on the far right side of the photo in my sig. (I think he must have pushed it back in that photo). His hair's shorter now (about earlobe to chin length), but it's still lovely (nice and thick). :yes:

I saw him in person last year when the band toured and I was astonished at how very good looking he is. I've seen some decent photos of him, but yet to see one that looks as good as he does in person. Of course, he can be incredibly charming, so that might have a whole lot to do with it too. ;)

Marty with The Saints in Germany March 2005

gal_saints_20050310_2.jpg

And a photo from 2000, when his hair was substantially longer. :)

normal_DCP_2142.jpg

Thank you! I *thought* that was Marty (from what I've seen of him) but I couldn't be sure.

u2
The Cure
The Police
The Killers
The Used
Underoath
The Bravery
Coldplay
Story of the Year
My Chemical Romance
Joy Division
Keane
Snow Patrol
Death from above 1979
Hot Hot Heat
Foo Fighters...
thats pretty much what I have been listening to lately.

Was it the photos of Marty that killed this thread? :sad:

Anyway.... I'm sitting here listening to Storms Dressed As Stars by Gersey, and I think to myself, "more people should know about Gersey." :)

Gersey creates lush, dreamy, shimmering music, perfectly suited to late night listening (just what I'm doing now). Beautiful, intoxicating music. Their albums (Hope Springs is their first) can be tricky to find -- a tiny label (Trifekta) and small production runs -- but oh so worth the work.

And they are currently working on a third album. :happy:

Back
Top Bottom