End of Earth, Michigan Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screwtape2 said:

I'll extend the length to two CDs but no further. Remember this is a taste or small introduction into an artist. You are not making full mix tapes for each artist. If you want to make on CD of Starflyer fine but then you only have one more CD worth for the rest of your artists.

No, don't bend on this issue. The original idea is fine.

For fuck's sake. I'm starting to think this whole idea is just turning into a competition. People who are doing the mp3 version of the cd exchange don't want new music. They want rules.

the tourist said:
For fuck's sake. I'm starting to think this whole idea is just turning into a competition. People who are doing the mp3 version of the cd exchange don't want new music. They want rules.

And you're acting like a 3 year-old who's been given a timeout. Have you not listened to any of the reasons Screwtape has given for the existence of these rules, or are you just crying foul for the sake of it? :huh:

the tourist said:

It's still based on the idea of a CD swap, just a budget one - that means there's 80 minutes. I think if you go a few minutes over it's no big deal, but like Screwtape said here and I said in the b+c thread, from a listener's perspective, i only have so much time and I want to hear what everyone else has put on theirs.

LemonMelon said:

And you're acting like a 3 year-old who's been given a timeout. Have you not listened to any of the reasons Screwtape has given for the existence of these rules, or are you just crying foul for the sake of it? :huh:

Coming from someone who could hardly be bothered to listening to the DI lists, this doesn't come as much of a shock.

i kinda wanna start an IQ thread on "U2 in 5 songs" because I think that's actually an interesting topic of discussion for once: how would you narrow U2's catalogue down into 5 songs that represent them best as a band, through the ages?

the tourist said:

Coming from someone who could hardly be bothered to listening to the DI lists, this doesn't come as much of a shock.

Damn straight. I'm not a busy man, but I don't have the attention span for that much music. Sometimes, less music makes for a much greater impact.

LemonMelon said:

Damn straight. I'm not a busy man, but I don't have the attention span for that much music. Sometimes, less music makes for a much greater impact.

I'm not intending to whine. I'm intending to buck "rules," as I think rules on an entire concept like this is entirely silly. As we're not actually doing cds, and Screwtape said compromised with 2, and you were firm on 1, how about 100 minutes? It's closer to you than to him.

the way i look at it is this: if someone wants to upload more, fine. but since there's no competition involved, it's not like anyone's forced to download or even listen to everyone's mixes.

if i see someone uploads two cds, or even one cd of screamo music, i can choose to skip and move on. whereas with desert island, i HAD to download and listen, because otherwise it'd be unfair for me to vote in any rounds that person was involved in.

the tourist said:

I'm not intending to whine. I'm intending to buck "rules," as I think rules on an entire concept like this is entirely silly. As we're not actually doing cds, and Screwtape said compromised with 2, and you were firm on 1, how about 100 minutes? It's closer to you than to him.

It's not up to me. If Screwy wants to bend, he will. I just liked the original idea of having a solid sampler of songs to work through, but I know it's inconvenient for those putting the playlist together...

KhanadaRhodes said:
the way i look at it is this: if someone wants to upload more, fine. but since there's no competition involved, it's not like anyone's forced to download or even listen to everyone's mixes.

if i see someone uploads two cds, or even one cd of screamo music, i can choose to skip and move on. whereas with desert island, i HAD to download and listen, because otherwise it'd be unfair for me to vote in any rounds that person was involved in.

You see, this is where I was coming from the whole time. If Axver uploads a bunch of death metal, I'd just choose not to listen to it. Or if someone uploaded a bunch of rap, or country, etc.

KhanadaRhodes said:

I see where Khan is coming from but I'd also really like to hear what tourist suggests, as I respect your taste in music but I think it's different from what I'm familiar with. However Like I said, I don't have that much time, and I don't want to skip you - so maybe you could do an 80 minute including a few from this 11-cd-band and then do a "booster" cd with more stuff that didn't make the a-list?

LemonMelon said:

It's not up to me. If Screwy wants to bend, he will. I just liked the original idea of having a solid sampler of songs to work through, but I know it's inconvenient for those putting the playlist together...

:up: It is. And anyway, even though screwtape came up with the idea, as this is not a competition, I think "rules" are malleable. What I'm fearing with this whole thing is "Oh, I liked the three songs by this artist--can you please upload their entire discography? PLZTHXKBAI"

the tourist said:
You see, this is where I was coming from the whole time. If Axver uploads a bunch of death metal, I'd just choose not to listen to it. Or if someone uploaded a bunch of rap, or country, etc.
exactly. some genres i just know i'm not going to like. now if it's a band i'm just unfamiliar with, i'm not just going to go "lolz no downloads!" cuz that's missing the whole point of this of course. as long as their genre/influences/dick size sounds like it'd interest me, i'll download it :up:

i don't even know if i'd participate other than downloading links.

I want us to stay with 80 minutes as the max. If someone likes what they hear you can send them more. We should keep it at 80 minutes so that everyone can listen to your artists. You should represent the artists with the best of their best. That's the point of the whole thing. A small introduction is the goal of this.

My compromise: 50 minutes of Starflyer (basically, one song per album), and 50 minutes of three other artists with a less broad catalogue of music.

the tourist said:

What I'm fearing with this whole thing is "Oh, I liked the three songs by this artist--can you please upload their entire discography? PLZTHXKBAI"

:lol: Just tell them to stop being greedy and learn what torrents and MP3 blogs are.

the tourist said:

:up: It is. And anyway, even though screwtape came up with the idea, as this is not a competition, I think "rules" are malleable. What I'm fearing with this whole thing is "Oh, I liked the three songs by this artist--can you please upload their entire discography? PLZTHXKBAI"

No. You introduce them and they handle the rest. You can give them a longer mix CD if they ask for it but you won't be giving anyone the whole discography.

the tourist said:
My compromise: 50 minutes of Starflyer (basically, one song per album), and 50 minutes of three other artists with a less broad catalogue of music.

No. Stay with 80 minutes. Try 40 minutes for Starflyer and 40 minutes for the rest. You said Starflyer had three phases. Two songs per phase. There you go.

My artists of choice for the exchange:

Velvet Underground
Blur
Spoon

All of these have different sounds from album to album so it will be tricky.

LemonMelon said:
http://blogsearch.google.com/ is your friend. Just search for an album name and you'll likely find a link on someone's blog.
omg thank you :drool: my isp has blocked torrents so i have to rely on a couple friends of mine when i want stuff. one of them even downloaded a torrent for me and sent it to me :cute: but i'm not an audiophile, i'd rather just get the straight links anyway rather than torrents. i don't care about lossless quality or anything, just as long as they're not imported at some god awful low quality or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom