Do you give to charity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I had the ability to make a poll this thread would have come with a yes/ no option as that's all I was looking for. I always thought Lemonade Stand was for light, off topic conversations, not arguments and religious/biblical talk like you find in FYM.

:)

i just put a bag of old jeans an shirts out on my door step for this childrens clothing charity to pick up :)

Last edited:
AcrobatMan said:
Religious donations is one of the worst thing ever - in my opinion...

because i know exactly where that money goes....

I have refused religious donations 3-4 times !!!

So, you've worked on a budget committee at a church?

ewen said:
this whole thread and its contributors disgust me - not because you give to charity, not because you may spare time for your respective organistions ( although one or two of you seem only interested in U2 endorsed causes :rolleyes: ) but because the impression that you are putting across is that of "look at me, i give to all these charities, ain't I a wonderful human being, top that". If it's not a competition to see which U2 fan will be going to the most shows this tour then it's the fan that gives most to charity. My comments are not towards the original poster, I believe her intentions for discussion were entirely different than what this monster turned out to be. shame on a lot of you though.

imo.

If I wanted to brag, I would have listed every single charity I have ever supported and exactly what I contributed (financial and otherwise).

I don't think that anyone who posted here was doing so because they wanted to compete for the "Most Charitable Interferencer."

Yeah to Scope

Plus I am in the London Triathlon this year, so I will be looking for Sponsership from Interference.com members!!!!

I think perhaps the :rolleyes: and use of "this whole thread and its contributors disgust me" "shame on a lot of you though" might have hurt some peoples' feelings, made them a bit ticked off perhaps.

Yes indeed there do seem to be some strange "competition" things around here involving U2 or other things I won't mention, but I don't think anyone was doing that in this thread :huh: geesh

I guess I should be afraid for posting that :uhoh:

AcrobatMan said:

I have seen grand waste of money - all religious and all free...

how & where do those money come from..

either these guys are drug smuglers or they get a lot of donations..

I think you are painting religiously-affiliated charities with a pretty broad brush.

Like any non-profit, there are good ones and bad ones. Some make better use of contributions than others. But you cannot let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. It's a good idea before giving to a charity (religious or otherwise) to check them out through independent monitoring organizations like the Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.org/) to ensure that the your contribution will actually reach people in need (and not paying for posh offices). The BBB website gives a comprehensive overview of all non-profits including their mission, the types of services they provide, how they raise funds, how the charity is governed, and financial details.

There are many religiously-affiliated charities (i.e. St. Vincent de Paul, Catholic Relief Services, Lutheran Social Services, B'nai B'rith International) as well as churches/temple/mosques that do good work on local, national and international levels.

These religiously-affiliated charities are not in the drug trade as you have suggested. Many of these charities have been in existance for many years and have a loyal base of generous supporters.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think perhaps the :rolleyes: and use of "this whole thread and its contributors disgust me" "shame on a lot of you though" might have hurt some peoples' feelings, made them a bit ticked off perhaps.

Yes indeed there do seem to be some strange "competition" things around here involving U2 or other things I won't mention, but I don't think anyone was doing that in this thread :huh: geesh

I agree.

And I dont see anything wrong with this thread.

Africare/African Well Fund and yes it is all because of U2. I also donate to the International Red Cross because they do such tremendous work worldwide. I also live in hurricane alley so I have volunteered with the Red Cross on a number of occasions in the past.
And of course the local food bank drives for the people in my community hit hard by unemployment or disasters i.e. fires floods, hurricanes, etc.
I see nothing wrong with this thread since alot of people who aren't able to give financialy can find ideas about donating their time if they wish.
There's plenty of ways to help and plenty of help needed...
:heart:

sue4u2 said:

I see nothing wrong with this thread since alot of people who aren't able to give financialy can find ideas about donating their time if they wish.

I am a student and I am in debt paying fees, I know a lot of people are in my boat. There are some really great ways to help charities though, even if it's donating old clothes etc. There are also various charities here that allow you to send letters/ emails to the families of sick people and I think that a few thoughtful words can be just as powerful as a bit of extra change to a sick child because not everyone is in the position to give a lot to all the charities they'd like to.

I haven't given to anything lately because I'm completely and totally broke. But in the past I've given money to/volunteered for Unicef campaigns, stuff like that.

I think it's awfully cynical to look at this thread as a popularity contest; listing the organizations you give to is a way of drawing attention to organizations and causes you feel are important, and that other people might not know about.

ewen said:
this whole thread and its contributors disgust me - not because you give to charity, not because you may spare time for your respective organistions ( although one or two of you seem only interested in U2 endorsed causes :rolleyes: ) but because the impression that you are putting across is that of "look at me, i give to all these charities, ain't I a wonderful human being, top that". If it's not a competition to see which U2 fan will be going to the most shows this tour then it's the fan that gives most to charity. My comments are not towards the original poster, I believe her intentions for discussion were entirely different than what this monster turned out to be. shame on a lot of you though.

imo.

Wow, that seems pretty rude.

I think it's nice if people name charities because it helps get word out. I will mention Big Brothers, Big Sisters any chance I can to help promote the program. That is an organization that I believe in with all my heart, and I like to help create awareness and interest.

ewen said:

imo.

Perhaps those people that did mention such 'endorsed' charities did so because this is a U2 forum and perhaps in posting there would be a interesting conversation resulting from it. From your own sig i see you are a supporter of the Free Tibet movement--I'm not going to accuse you of supporting that only because of U2's performance in the Tibetan Freedom Concert, as I am very sure it is a matter that is of personal concern to you.

Are all my 'charities' & efforts listed? Nope. I wouldn't assume that from everyone that posted either. And I don't see that anyone here is competing to be 'most charitable Interferencer' merely because they are talking about where thier passions lie.

Last edited:
I'm considering going to Vietnam on a trek next year to raise money for cancer research, the way I'm thinking is I get paid for to go abroad plus I get to help people, great deal if you ask me

sue4u2 said:
There's plenty of ways to help and plenty of help needed...
:heart:

A couple of things I've gotten involved with that don't take (much) money: working with refugees who have recently fled to the U.S. through an organization called World Relief. And of course, many of us can give blood.

I used to volunteer with a middle school after-school science club that raises interest for girls and minorities. But I've moved and it is over an hour commute for me, so I am going to have to join a club near me for that. I'm hoping to do Habitat for Humanity this summer, too.

As for donating, when I can I donate to www.donorschoose.org (which is a GREAT site and you can give money directly to teachers who work in low-income cities and want to do "extra" projects with their students - sometimes the extra is as simple as getting microscopes for science class), and also www.heifer.org and I've donated to the Network for Good (choosing a program that helps women in many ways as a protest to Bush's inauguration).

I also write those action letters and email my representatives about 2 or 3 times a month. And I try to buy local foods and from local artists. Lastly, if I can, I avoid buy from companies that overwhelming donate to the Republicans.

Oh yeah and Bono's birthday fund. :)

Last edited:
I haven't answered, because I do think it's a personal matter. When I was a poor student, I volunteered for 3 different organizations, and when I started making money and had less time to volunteer, I donated.

It would bug me if people were self-congratulatory here. But I haven't seen that. So the flipping out over this thread is well, slightly bizarre to me, but to each his own.

MrsSpringsteen said:

i think no one should ever say how much he gives or does, it's a question of heart, jesus himself made miracles and didn't want to let it know. but i agree with what you say, such comments can hurt and aren't good at all..........if you use the words disgust and shame for people who do something for less fortunate people, then, what words should you use for someone who does nothing at all in his life to help needy people..................... disgust and shame are with the theme of this thread a bit too inappropriate

Back
Top Bottom