Dildo, Newfoundland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This new Russian Circles album just keeps getting better. The third track is an amazing mix of great riffing and dark, beautiful atmosphere.

Axver said:

I can't believe I've actually got more than three votes! :lol:

The first half of your playlist is really accessible. And then the ending with PT's song is great.

OK, Axver, tell me what you think of this cover:

monolithiceyeballwi6.jpg

Any suggestions?

the tourist said:

The first half of your playlist is really accessible. And then the ending with PT's song is great.

Thanks. I actually thought this was the least accessible tracklist I've ever made. I was a bit surprised to see ... I think it was LMP say that he thinks I've fairly well stuck to the same style of music each tournament, as I think this one is quite a radical departure from anything I've done before, especially in the second half.

The fourth track on the Russian Circles album seems to be trying some new stuff for them, and it's working sensationally. The guitar from around 4:15 onwards sounds gorgeous. Around 5:05, you really expect it to kick up a gear into something heavier, but the restraint and avoidance of post-metal cliches just makes the playing even more beautiful. Ahh, 5:45, here comes the distorted guitar. Wow, that works really effectively.

Axver said:

Thanks. I actually thought this was the least accessible tracklist I've ever made. I was a bit surprised to see ... I think it was LMP say that he thinks I've fairly well stuck to the same style of music each tournament, as I think this one is quite a radical departure from anything I've done before, especially in the second half.

Well, as I haven't been around for the previous DI's, I really have no idea what your playlists are generally like.

I hate to say it, LM, but I can't really tell much about that parody because my crappy eyes just blur over. :down:

the tourist said:
I'm listening to BonoIsMyMuse's playlist right now. First song, Springsteen. Not my thing, but we'll see how it goes from here.

Her lists are always awesome. Or, at least to my taste, anyway. This one looks particularly great.

the tourist said:

Well, as I haven't been around for the previous DI's, I really have no idea what your playlists are generally like.

My past lists are up on phanan's site. DI III is I think the best I've ever made - I'm not sure I'll ever top the second half.

Unfortunately my Symphonic Island list isn't up (last time I looked anyway), as I think that's the second best one I've submitted.

Axver said:
I hate to say it, LM, but I can't really tell much about that parody because my crappy eyes just blur over. :down:

It's not just your eyes; the picture is very blurry. I did it to achieve that particular coloring effect. Anyway, it has the same sausage shapes as the Sigur Ros cover.

HOLY FUCK RUSSIAN CIRCLES.

Station is without doubt one of the albums of 2008.

the tourist said:

His list is much darker this time out. DI2 was probably his most accessible, this one his least.

LemonMelon said:

Her lists are always awesome. Or, at least to my taste, anyway. This one looks particularly great.

It's all right so far. The flow is better than decent. I like the flow better than the songs--I've never liked Kings of Leon, that's for sure (that's where I'm at in the list now).

LemonMelon said:

It's not just your eyes; the picture is very blurry. I did it to achieve that particular coloring effect. Anyway, it has the same sausage shapes as the Sigur Ros cover.

Ahh, OK. I can sort of make out what must be the bottom of them, but it's mainly just a blurry mass of pale blue and white for me. Though I suppose you were going for the pretentious effect in the parody ... :wink:

Axver said:

My past lists are up on phanan's site. DI III is I think the best I've ever made - I'm not sure I'll ever top the second half.

Unfortunately my Symphonic Island list isn't up (last time I looked anyway), as I think that's the second best one I've submitted.

Sadly, I only recognize about 1/3rd of it (sorta like how everyone is about my list this time).

LemonMelon said:

His list is much darker this time out. DI2 was probably his most accessible, this one his least.

Yeah, I definitely think DI II is the most accessible. The start of DI III is even more accessible, but then it just went really dark. To some extent, I intentionally made DI II to be accessible - I wanted to counter some of the stupid stereotypes of prog being nothing but wanky, soulless bollocks.

Axver said:

Though I suppose you were going for the pretentious effect in the parody ... :wink:

But of course. :yes:

I was going to start some recording for it tonight, but I slept less than 6 hours last night, and pretty exhausted.

Axver said:

Yeah, I definitely think DI II is the most accessible. The start of DI III is even more accessible, but then it just went really dark. To some extent, I intentionally made DI II to be accessible - I wanted to counter some of the stupid stereotypes of prog being nothing but wanky, soulless bollocks.

I think your Desert Island 2 playlist is your best. :up:

Anyway, so far I'd give BonoIsMyMuse a score just a bit below that I gave Khan/PFan.

the tourist said:

Sadly, I only recognize about 1/3rd of it (sorta like how everyone is about my list this time).

How much of the first half do you recognise? I think you'd enjoy that half more than the second on a "songs" basis. I don't think there's much debate that the second half has the best of the atmosphere and flow though. One day, I'd like to stylistically bring both halves together somehow. I just don't listen to that much upbeat music.

Screwtape, I don't think you were around when I mentioned I'm working on a new DI tracklist. Not sure if it's one I'll submit, but definitely it's one I'll share with you. It's all about soundscapes. It's got a lot of work to go, but basically I am trying to make the most beautiful and transcendent playlist I can.

I was inspired by Alcest's Tir Nan Og when I was walking home on a beautiful evening a few days ago.

It appears that Axver is correct about Russian Circles. They are pretty awesome. I'm listening to Enter though, not Station.

Axver said:

How much of the first half do you recognise? I think you'd enjoy that half more than the second on a "songs" basis. I don't think there's much debate that the second half has the best of the atmosphere and flow though. One day, I'd like to stylistically bring both halves together somehow. I just don't listen to that much upbeat music.

The Finn-asscociated ones (though not the songs, just the fact that it's them), the ones that are on your DI this time (again, not the songs), Rush, The Edge, and Clannad.

Axver said:
Screwtape, I don't think you were around when I mentioned I'm working on a new DI tracklist. Not sure if it's one I'll submit, but definitely it's one I'll share with you. It's all about soundscapes. It's got a lot of work to go, but basically I am trying to make the most beautiful and transcendent playlist I can.

I was inspired by Alcest's Tir Nan Og when I was walking home on a beautiful evening a few days ago.

Good I love soundscapes. :up:

My computer and interference seem to be enjoying one-another's company whilst I'm on break here. And on that note, I must leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom