Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the plan still to wait until 5/31? I don't think we're going to fill anymore slots, especially with Memorial Day weekend coming up here in the U.S. Many folks probably won't be around as much.

phanan said:
Is the plan still to wait until 5/31? I don't think we're going to fill anymore slots, especially with Memorial Day weekend coming up here in the U.S. Many folks probably won't be around as much.

Sort of. The deadline is still 5/31 however if we get two or three more entries by Monday or so we might send those playlists out. This would allow everyone more time to listen to the playlists before the competition. At the deadline the rest of the links will be sent out. As for the final slot, we're probably going to make a playlist made up of 30 minutes submitted by each contestant sort of a "best of the rest" playlist. If there are any artists that you'd like to highlight or tracks that just missed your playlist through them onto those 30 minutes. Send those 30 minutes in any time before the deadline. Any time left will be filled by Axver and I.

Will there be plenty of time between voting deadlines to listen to the playlists? After all, that's 4 hours of music, unless some are just going by what they know.

I have no idea how much, time-wise my husband's list is so far. He hasn't finalized it or put it in any order. He's not gonna be like you guys with the flowing of songs from one to the other. He's just putting stuff together that he has/likes and letting you possibly hear some things you haven't heard (or maybe you have :hmm: ) I don't even think we own a Pink Floyd CD! :reject:

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
Will there be plenty of time between voting deadlines to listen to the playlists? After all, that's 4 hours of music, unless some are just going by what they know.

Yeah. Sending out some playlists early would just add to that time but most of all give the anxious people a taste of prog rock a little ahead of schedule.

Lila64 said:

I don't even think we own a Pink Floyd CD! :reject:

I'm going to pretend that you didn't say that. :wink: Honestly, between all the lists you'll probably get a collection of Pink Floyd worthy of a best of album.

Lila64 said:
I don't even think we own a Pink Floyd CD! :reject:

I have them on LP, though Lila wishes they weren't in the house

Everytime I think I'm done, the list changes again. Anyone have extra minutes they can spare:wink:

Is it true what they say about your first post? :ohmy:

I don't know, what do they say :sexywink:
smoking.gif

Yeah, now I have more CDs to rip. Thanks. Thank a lot :grumpy: :kiss:

I only know select bands or tracks. I don't know half the sh*t he's got, LOL!!!

Then again I could just submit Lamb Lies Down on Broadway as a whole and be happy :hmm:

I could have just said "right, that's it", and been done with this tracklist, but nooo, here I am, agonising over nearly 15 minutes because I feel the song 299 796 km/s by In The Woods... could be replaced by something more prog-y, and I'm really peeved that I've omitted modern Eastern European prog bands like Riverside and Indukti. In The Woods... are really a more sprawling, atmospheric avantgarde metal kind of band, though the Omnio album does fit under the prog banner and I highly recommend it as a great work of art. It will definitely make those of you who think "Ick, Metallica? Slayer? Cannibal Corpse?" when you hear 'metal' completely reconsider every idea you have about the genre.

Also, I'd just like to say that I really think the eighth position should be taken by a combined tracklist. Come on, people, this is PROG. What is one thing prog musicians do all the time? They play in odd time signatures like 7/8, 17/16, and Pi/e; they can play more notes in 10 seconds than The Edge plays in an entire concert; and THEY FORM SUPERGROUPS. So in homage to this, we prog fans should do a "supertracklist" to take the eighth spot.

I like the SuperGroup idea. It would probably end up being more interesting than any of the individual lists:wink:

And it allows us to submit a few things that we couldn't find space for:eyebrow:

phanan said:
I figured that was the case, but just wanted to be sure. We'd probably have to create the list after everyone submitted their own first so we know what songs are not used.

My idea is that everyone sends in their 30 minute part before the deadline and if there are any repeats we ask them for a different song. When you are making it try to compose it out of songs that most people don't know or wouldn't normally throw on their playlist.

Speaking of repeats, I wonder how many songs will appear multiple times. :hmm:

Screwtape2 said:
My idea is that everyone sends in their 30 minute part before the deadline and if there are any repeats we ask them for a different song. When you are making it try to compose it out of songs that most people don't know or wouldn't normally throw on their playlist.

Speaking of repeats, I wonder how many songs will appear multiple times. :hmm:

Yep, that sounds good. Also, I'd like it if, when people submit their 30 minutes, they send MP3s of the songs as well so that I can fit everything together cohesively.

I think I'm just about done with this. A good mix of songs that people will know with songs that most won't, plus some that are well-known but might be surprising to find on there.

Now I just have to find the time to do links.

My list is almost exclusively old school because that's what I grew up with and I'm not familiar enough with newer stuff to include them. But I agree with Axver about metal, you can easily include the black metal bands like Emperor, Cradle of Filth, etc.... They have more in common with prog than they would like to admit, as do the more melodic groups like Nightwish.

Should we send Axver our list for the 30 minute supergroup so he can check for repeats, then send off the mp3's? I don't think I would have more than 3 tracks.

This has definitely been fun though, got to hear a lot of stuff I haven't heard in a long time. Some of it probably wouldn't be considered progressive now.

Now if I can just find the time for Lila:madwife: to do the links :rolleyes:

Well someone needs to put their list in order so SOMEONE can spend her days and nights uploading 4 hours of music. :happy:

...just taking some time on

hardyharhar said:
Should we send Axver our list for the 30 minute supergroup so he can check for repeats, then send off the mp3's? I don't think I would have more than 3 tracks.

This has definitely been fun though, got to hear a lot of stuff I haven't heard in a long time. Some of it probably wouldn't be considered progressive now.

Now if I can just find the time for Lila:madwife: to do the links :rolleyes:

Send the 30 minute list to Axver and I preferably with the mp3's. In case someone sends in their main playlist right at the deadline we wouldn't have to wait for mp3's if nothing needed change in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom