Cricket Super Series-- Australia v World XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cleazer said:
What are the odds of Gayle and Ntini playing tomorrow? Pretty good, I would think.

I'd be very tempted to leave the Australia squad exactly the same. Don't mess with a good thing.

Ntini in for that poser Ahktar.
Gayle in for Dravid.
Captaincy from Pollock to Vettori. :yes:

I think you are using the term "good thing" a little too liberally. :wink:

Angela Harlem said:
Gee, do you both feel like a pair of tits now, or what? :lol:

Timo and I? Nah, because the only Kiwi on the park was the only player worth watching. That Vettori can bowl. :heterodrool:

Rather than having one nation or team surpass all others

I'm sure Australia wishes they could be that good. But considering they've just lost the Ashes and a one-dayer to BANGLADESH ... talk about being at the bottom of the heap! :wink:

I think each of the nations represented in the World XI would've done better by themselves.

timothius said:

Ntini in for that poser Ahktar.
Gayle in for Dravid.
Captaincy from Pollock to Vettori. :yes:

I've always thought Akhtar was over-rated.

Vettori = perfect choice for captain, not to mention best player in the team too!

Axver said:

Timo and I? Nah, because the only Kiwi on the park was the only player worth watching. That Vettori can bowl. :heterodrool:

I'm sure Australia wishes they could be that good. But considering they've just lost the Ashes and a one-dayer to BANGLADESH ... talk about being at the bottom of the heap! :wink:

I think each of the nations represented in the World XI would've done better by themselves.

We were virtually unbeatable under Waugh ( :yawn: ), and even most of Aus was pissed at how bland the game was. Or is that just me who wants it exciting?

Youse haven't started on our incredible fielding last night yet...what gives, boys? Fodder handed right to you all!
:lol:

Let's talk Brett Lee :drool:

Let's talk Glenn McGrath :drool: :drool:

Ah bugger it, let's just look at Anna's sig

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Angela Harlem said:

We were virtually unbeatable under Waugh ( :yawn: ), and even most of Aus was pissed at how bland the game was. Or is that just me who wants it exciting?

The era of Waugh was hardly unbeatable. They still failed to prove they were conclusively better than India & Sri Lanka, they regularly dropped the final game in series and escaped many games on the back of widely criticized favourable umpiring.

That being said, overall they did dominate what Australia saw of the world scene. Many reasons for it, South Africa & West Indies rebuilding from eras of dominance (not unlike Aus in the 80's), short sighted selection policies, drug use and overly favourable home pitches.

When they hype is stripped away and all the evidence is looked at the era of Waugh is overrated. There were many series where they were conclusively outplayed (Sri Lanka 99, India 01, NZ in Aus 01, VB Series 02) and the era also saw a great deal of off field controversy to the detriment of the game.

My final thought on the Waugh era comes from a book "The Hartbreak Years" which discusses the AB's coaching position from 87-99 - evalutating the ability of each. It puts forth the theory for coaches like Mains (or captains like Waugh) who seek out to change the culture of a team the true merit of their leadership will not be seen when they lead the team, but when they leave the team. Look at it now.

That game would've been over in half the time if Australia could've held the ball in the field. Geez, talk about not being able to catch a cold!

Goes to show how dismal the World XI batting was that they couldn't even win with Australia putting down about every second chance.

Tania said:

Let's talk Glenn McGrath :drool: :drool:

Ah bugger it, let's just look at Anna's sig

:drool: x too many to quote

Dont tell me you drool over Glenn? :lol: Our trivia team is named after him :D Speaking of which, do i want to go to trivia tonight? I'm buggered. It's been a shitful day at work. Speaking of the team though, Mat and I were killing ourselves with um...non PC comments on Symond's look last night which mat reckons is to unnerve the batters. I just reckon he looks like a um...

I agree with you, Tim, on Waugh. I'm not on the Waugh support wagon at all. But I dont actually agree on the implication that the off-field controversy rendered him (or anyone) a bad captain. Cricket has had tabloid headlines for ages and it wasn't limited to Boone and Warne and assorted other fatty skips who cannot control their beer or willies. Cronje, for example?

Ah, bugger it. Let's all look at my sig :drool:

Yertle, can you get the ABC (Australian)?

I like Steve Waugh (and Mark:drool:). I think he was a great captain. It was he who developed Australia's belief in themselves (and yes some may call it arogance) to the point that even in games where you would think there was no way they could have won, they came out and either did or got very close. That still exists in today's team. He was a great batsman, not in terms of stroke play(though I think he was brilliant, personally), but because he had the ability to wear down the opposition (Mark got all the style. I heard an interview were Mark was talking about the fact that he hadn't made as many hundreds as was expected of him and he said that he saw his role as an entertainer rather than just a cricketer. An interesting perspective of his game.)

Another comment (Axver and Timothious) your precious Mr Vettori (who is a bloody good cricketer) came out and said that the World XI had 8 bowlers in their side but still couldn't get Australia out. I mean, slag Australia off all you like but lets face it you had supposedly the "top" players on the other team and they couldn't get it together to beat us. (It is wearing a little thin guys)

The football boots idea was interesting, don't think it did much to help with the fielding though.

Not sure if I like the idea of a "supersub" but I like the word :lol:

*Back to drooling over Anna's sig*

They'll find a way to still rip into us. The fault is always Australia's. Sorry if I sound bitchy, it's just hard to keep on grinning when the same shit is spewed out over and over and it is supposedly in the name of sport.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the footy studs, Tania. That is a shitful venue for almost all sports though. That grass looks worse than the weeds the communist planted at the Amityville house I live in. Give it some bloody sun! Sheesh!
:rolleyes:

Back to Roos, however. :wink:

Tania said:
Yertle, can you get the ABC (Australian)?

:yes:

www.abc.net.au/cricket if they have the right guests (Harsha Bhogle, Brian Waddle, Jonnathan Agnew) they are one of the best commentry teams in the world.

Tania said:

I like Steve Waugh (and Mark:drool:). I think he was a great captain. It was he who developed Australia's belief in themselves (and yes some may call it arogance) to the point that even in games where you would think there was no way they could have won, they came out and either did or got very close. That still exists in today's team.

Waugh gave them a lot of the arrogance (bordering on contempt) that they carried through that era. But the Ponting effect is already in full swing, I mean on the eve of the last Ashes test Ponting came out and said "Don't Blame Me If We Lose". Imagine Waugh saying that. :lmao:

Also I can only think of one game in the Waugh era where they pulled it out of their arse and won. It was also his second last game as ODI captain.

Tania said:

Another comment (Axver and Timothious) your precious Mr Vettori (who is a bloody good cricketer) came out and said that the World XI had 8 bowlers in their side but still couldn't get Australia out. I mean, slag Australia off all you like but lets face it you had supposedly the "top" players on the other team and they couldn't get it together to beat us. (It is wearing a little thin guys)

These are not the best 11 players in the world today. I said it at the beginning of the thread - these are players picked on name and nationality not on form. Is it any coincidence that the squad includes every test playing nation bar Zimbabwe? I disagree with all but 3 of the selections.

Also Pollocks pissweak captaincy (which I criticized even before the game) didn't help the situation. How can the teams best bowler be brought on at over 29 when Australia are in the ascendancy. Pollocks misuse of Vettori cost them at least 50 runs.

Vettori's comments were correct and his articulate way of calling a spade a spade stand him in good stead to become our next captain.

Vettori :bow:

Sorry to "spew the shame shit" again but the nation and medias reaction of "Look we are the best in the world again" is frustratingly ignorant. :banghead:

timothius said:

She will be converted. :angel: :wink:

Not bloody likely :lmao:

I LOVE CRICKET!!!!

I think it is a great game. There is nothing like planning life around a test series (No! I can't go to the beach/movies/that U2 concert because the cricket's on). Roll on Boxing Day (my fav time of the year - the test, christmas, chocolate and alcohol what more could one want :drool:)

I support Australia because this is where I live (and Ireland doesn't have a touring team) and I think they are good. It doesn't mean that I can't see the brilliance in other players/teams and congratulate them on a fine win. (Hint!)

Australia has been the dominant team for a very long time and before that there was the West Indies and please, don't tell me that they weren't arrogant. Actually, the current English cricket team is developing the same sort of arrogance (or belief in itself) which is what is good for the game. If you are going to play at that level and don't believe that you can win no matter what (and I don't mean bad sportsmanship here) then you shouldn't be playing.

Look are your darling All Blacks, I would suggest that they have the same sort of will to win.

I guess what I am trying to say is that gentle ribbing is fine and having a bit of a laugh at someone for whatever is okay, so long as it is done in the right spirit. :wink:

yertle-the-turtle said:
I have the Asian version of ABC on the small video screen thing (long explanation), I shall check if it's on.

:up:

Ever thought of moving countries? :lol:

Just for summer?

Not when I have A-levels and national service. And I'm skint.

Anyway ABC Asia isn't carrying it, but Home & Away is on later. I wonder if I should watch it and see what the fuss is all about. Listening to the radio broadcast.

Anyway I have thought about moving to Australia for studies before but the schools I looked at were just too much money.

:hug:

Yeah, the money issue is a pain in the butt.

:lmao: Home and Away! No! Don't do it, save your brain :lol:

Back
Top Bottom