credit card suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl416

Rock n' Roll Doggie
and if you don't know where you're going...any roa
I've been meaning to get a credit card that actually gives you something back, like rebates or points, airline miles...etc. I almost signed up for a BP gas VISA a while back to use just for buying gas, but never did. I do have a credit card currently, but it's just basic and doesn't give anything. Any suggestions? Any ones to stay away from? I pay off my balance in full every month, so interest rates aren't an issue for me, neither are transferring balances from other cards. With my wedding coming up, I know I'll be spending enough and might as well get something in return.

We have a VISA my husband got through our bank. It's nice b/c that way it's tied directly to our other accounts. It takes about 30 seconds to pay the bill online, we can transfer credit into other accounts, etc. His has credits for gas and I think hotels, air, and maybe restaurants. I'm not sure how it all works and we only use it when absolutely necessary, but I know he has "rewards".

DO NOT GO WITH PROVIDIAN. They are horrible to get rid of. We've been paying off the account for 8 months now and even though it's closed the idiots don't speak english and don't understand that they can't just add extra charges for fraud protection, etc. on there. It's hard to get a higher up there, but once you do...they will reverse those charges.

I have an American Express Blue card. I love the rewards program on it. I get a point for every dollar and they can be used for just about anything. I've gotten airline miles from them and a few gift cards here and there to some of my favorite (and somewhat expensive) stores. The interest rate is pretty low and there are no annual fees. Plus, unlike most of the Amex cards, you can carry a balance on this one, if you need to. The only downside, not every place accepts Amex.

Kiki said:
DO NOT GO WITH PROVIDIAN. They are horrible to get rid of. We've been paying off the account for 8 months now and even though it's closed the idiots don't speak english and don't understand that they can't just add extra charges for fraud protection, etc. on there. It's hard to get a higher up there, but once you do...they will reverse those charges.

I agree...just too many loopholes...I've learned that if you pay it off and demand, demand and demand that they close the account, they report it to the Credit Report agencies as closed on 'THEIR BEHALF'...not the consumer's request which suggests to others that Providian closed your account when its actually the other way around...good luck but stay away from Providian...or whatever bank they now claim to be; they've changed names a number of times; they've even resorted to not putting their names on the statement but refer you to the Card Service Center...

I concur with all of the above about Providian, they are the biggest PITAs!!! I'd suggest something with easy access to your bank account to make transfers and payments, and something that also "gives back" as in air miles or points. Just don't get stuck in the credit card rut! :ohmy:

DO NOT GET CAPITAL ONE! If you get behind, they are the only company I have ever encountered that will not work with you. They refuse to lower the interest or take off any late fees or put you on a hardship program. They want it all now, and if you can't pay a certain high amount, they will bring warrant in debt against you- something I was told credit cards didn't do and something I have never seen any other credit card do. If you cannot pay it ALL, and they are still adding interest every day until you owe over double your credit limit- they will take your bank account, your paycheck and/or put lien on your property. They are brutal and heartless. You may start out with good intentions and never think you'll fall behind but you never know what may happen in the future. No one ever expects to end up in the deep shits but it happens. It's better not to deal with them despite their 'funny' commercials.

They will give a card to just about anybody, even the unemployed, and they don't care if you can pay because they'll sue you anyway. I have personally seen many young college students sued, as well as the elderly and handicapped. They do not care. They are Mr. Potter from "It's a Wonderful Life." They will sue you even after you're charged off. When other companies charge off, they ruin your credit and write you off as a loss on their taxes. Capital One does that, and sues you anyway, collecting every little cent of interest along the way even after charge off.

Actually the commercials remind me of my experience with them- the Vikings with the spears? That's them when you get behind. The 2 guys in the boxcar? That's how they ended up homeless. What's in your wallet? Nothing, thanks to them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom