Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few clip-by-clip comparisons. :D

1. Echo And The Bunnymen's "Ripeness" (1983) vs "Two Hearts Beat As One" (1983)
2. Echo And The Bunnymen's "With A Hip" (1982) vs "Indian Summer Sky" (1984) - please note the fact that the bass lines are interchangeable
3. Echo And The Bunnymen's "Back Of Love" (1983) vs "In God's Country" (1987)
4. Echo And The Bunnymen's "Angels and Devils" (1984) vs "Angel of Harlem" (1988)
5. Pink Floyd's "Eclipse" (1973) vs "Walk On" (2000)

Those are just a few examples. There are many more.

The songs in item one contain very general similarities - rather like the ones that people accuse Coldplay of when it comes to U2. The songs in items two and three contain identical notes/chord progressions (kind of like the example you just brought up with Lovers in Japan/Reign Of Love.) The songs in items four and five contain eerily similar vocal deliveries and lyrical content (remember "the banks became cathedrals"?)

As Bono so aptly sums it up, "every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief."

I should also note that Echo And The Bunnymen fans used to accuse U2 of being wannabe-Bunnymen back in the 80s. :) Bono (or was it Adam?) even admitted that the bass line in Vertigo was a homage to the Bunnymen. On a semi-related note, Coldplay are also big fans of Echo And The Bunnymen. Goodness me, could it be that their sweeping atmospherics and delayed guitars aren't ONLY influenced by U2?

Don't get me wrong - I used to be like you. I thought Coldplay were nothing more than pointless U2/Radiohead rip-offs who should not be allowed to exist. Ask Phanan. Then I found out a little bit more about U2's history and discovered that, gasp, they weren't quite as original as I thought they were.

It's okay to be strongly influenced by a band. Really, it is. If you don't like Coldplay's songs, that's fine. But to constantly bring up the comparisons between their sound and U2's sound...it gets tiring, honestly. There are very few truly original bands and artists on this planet. Even U2 are guilty of a bit of heavy influence.

Bring on the Martin-bashing, though. :lol: Even though I really like Viva La Vida, I still think he's a colossal twat.

cooool...that was an interesting listen, thanks :)

but it doesn't change the fact that yes, "Coldplay were nothing more than pointless U2/Radiohead rip-offs" and still are.....I'm pretty confident in my Coldplay views. It's all veeerryy clear.

Coldplay's problem also lies in the fact that they act like Bono/U2...from their stage production to Martin's stupid ass speeches with the audience...It just rattles my bones when I hear him say "You've given us a great life, and the best job in the world" - Oh God, it hurts just typing it :barf:....Chris Martin and Coldplay come off as so phony and fake and contrived! Their interviews, fuck...Chris Martin, stop trying so hard to be funny....you're not, you're a joke. Their attempt at subtlety makes me sick.

Hey Chrissy Boy, why don't you go study more videos of Bono dancing, then go do another ipod commercial, ok?

The point is that all this crap I just mentioned just exacerbates an already hopeless situation for Coldplay...I mean they aren't the most creative band to begin with...and Martin decides to tell us how he was "dreaming of Bono" the other night...................................................HOOOOLY SHIT...no, Viva la Vida isn't "The Unforgettable Fire of 2008," you phony douche!!!!!!

U2 obviously are influenced by other bands...every single band on planet Earth is....it's just all to a lesser extent...ohhhhh shiiiizzz...I'm getting tired :yawn:

That's a good point. What GG is sharing just doesn't say very much. Many bands take inspiration or elements from others. But aside from those examples, U2 doesn't have much in common with Echo and the Bunnymen, certainly not after the mid-80's.

Coldplay, as Rob pointed out, seems to be following U2 like a blueprint, and Martin even has the gall to talk about it in public! It's ridiculous and pathetic at the same time. What Coldplay will never have is a singer with the personal issues giving dark shadings to the positivity, the raw natural talent, and the energy that pushes one into the stratosphere. He's vanilla, a blank, a fucking zero.

That's a good point. What GG is sharing just doesn't say very much. Many bands take inspiration or elements from others. But aside from those examples, U2 doesn't have much in common with Echo and the Bunnymen, certainly not after the mid-80's.

Coldplay, as Rob pointed out, seems to be following U2 like a blueprint, and Martin even has the gall to talk about it in public! It's ridiculous and pathetic at the same time. What Coldplay will never have is a singer with the personal issues giving dark shadings to the positivity, the raw natural talent, and the energy that pushes one into the stratosphere. He's vanilla, a blank, a fucking zero.

dude....right on :up:

:applaud:

I have a joke in my Coldplay cartoon where Chrissy hears the new U2 album, discovers that Bono has regained his lyrical skill, and says "Phew...now I can stop writing this BS."

But aside from those examples, U2 doesn't have much in common with Echo and the Bunnymen, certainly not after the mid-80's.

Sure, not anymore. But they did have quite a bit in common with them at one point in time. Prior to Live Aid, they were both being touted as the Next Best Thing. The Joshua Tree changed all that. Maybe Coldplay will surprise us all by releasing their own masterpiece that surpasses that of their idols. I'm not saying it'll happen (actually, I'm fairly confident it won't), but there's always that possibility.

I guess I just don't understand why it was acceptable for U2 to borrow heavily from other bands in the early 80s, when it's not acceptable for Coldplay to do the same now.

Brilliantly put, sir.

The man feigned heartache and existential navel-gazing for a good three albums, and now, with Viva, he's trying to make the Eternal™ song with each and every track and, in doing so, has missed the band's personal side that was endearing, if occasionally dipped in cheese and Hallmark-isms (all of X&Y).

Viva is epic and sounds great, but hits everywhere but the heart. That's why it isn't a classic.

Well said, sir. It sucks for the rest of the band, but as long as this guy gives off the vibe of your average wanker, then a lot of people will dislike them. It's just the way it is.

Yes! What a fucking blank! Great husband. Great father. Great musician. Great dreamer. Great friend. Great humanitarian. God! What a fucking blank. You'd have to be a blank to be all those things. :)

I don't think anyone's questioning his status as a father, dreamer, husband, friend, or neighborhood milkman, it doesn't change the fact that his musical talent just isn't there yet or ever will be there - of course, this is subjective, but hey, we're only talking about music here.

I don't think anyone's questioning his status as a father, dreamer, husband, friend, or neighborhood milkman, it doesn't change the fact that his musical talent just isn't there yet or ever will be there - of course, this is subjective, but hey, we're only talking about music here.

I may be wrong but I think it goes beyond music when you call someone a blank or a zero. :wink:

Yes! What a fucking blank! Great husband. Great father. Great musician. Great dreamer. Great friend. Great humanitarian. God! What a fucking blank. You'd have to be a blank to be all those things. :)

Unfortunately, all that does not make you a great artist. The desire to become one does not automatically make you one.

Sure, not anymore. But they did have quite a bit in common with them at one point in time. Prior to Live Aid, they were both being touted as the Next Best Thing. The Joshua Tree changed all that. Maybe Coldplay will surprise us all by releasing their own masterpiece that surpasses that of their idols. I'm not saying it'll happen (actually, I'm fairly confident it won't), but there's always that possibility.

I guess I just don't understand why it was acceptable for U2 to borrow heavily from other bands in the early 80s, when it's not acceptable for Coldplay to do the same now.

Well you said it yourself. The Joshua Tree changed all that, and while it was their 5th studio album, they also put all of those out within a 7 year span. They moved past those influences and became something unique. Coldplay may only be on their fourth album, but they've had the same 7 years to develop their OWN style, their own masterpiece. If you believe Martin's bullshit, that VLV is their Unforgettable Fire, and that some Eternal Classic is on the horizon, more power to you.

But I think it's foolish to expect. Martin just doesn't have the same kind of wandering spirit that Bono does. Bono was married with kids, too, but him and Ali were getting hardcore, humbling experiences in Central America and Africa around the same time in his career. He had still not reconciled his issues with his parents (and arguably still hasn't). Martin putting colored band-aids on his finger, writing "fair trade" on his hand and marrying a posh American movie star ain't the same thing. There also isn't a briliant dynamo in his band like The Edge (or Jonny Greenwood). So where exactly is this future masterpiece supposed to come from?

The title track seems to be doing quite well.

:shrug:

Yep, that's a good measure of quality alright.

Lost! would be a much catchier single IMO, though it's still not something that will stick with you for any length of time.

It appears most of the general public disagrees with you.

Come ON, Phanan. You know so much better than to make that argument. I'm not arguing with some dumbass on myspace here.

Don't be biased. Ask yourself: would I defend Hinder in this manner? Because you can transpose this argument to any shit artist who had a hit. "Brilliant single" does not mean "song that reached #1".

Well you said it yourself. The Joshua Tree changed all that, and while it was their 5th studio album, they also put all of those out within a 7 year span. Coldplay may only be on their fourth album, but they've had the same 7 years to develop their OWN style, their own masterpiece. If you believe Martin's bullshit, that VLV is their Unforgettable Fire, and that some Eternal Classic is on the horizon, more power to you.

But I think it's foolish to expect. Martin just doesn't have the same kind of wandering spirit that Bono does. Bono was married with kids, too, but him and Ali were getting hardcore, humbling experiences in Central America and Africa around the same time in his career. He had still not reconciled his issues with his parents (and arguably still hasn't). Martin putting colored band-aids on his finger, writing "fair trade" on his hand and marrying a posh American movie star ain't the same thing. There also isn't a briliant dynamo in his band like The Edge (or Jonny Greenwood). So where exactly is this future masterpiece supposed to come from?

Ha, I certainly don't buy into Chris Martin's bullshit. But all the same, I'm not going to let his naffish demeanour cloud my judgement when I listen to his band's work. I agree that the chances of them releasing anything that's on par with JT/AB are small. If they do end up achieving that goal, though, good for them. Anything is possible, no matter how impossible it may seem at the time.

I truly do believe that they've progressed with this album. Mind you, anything would be an improvement after the shitfest that was X&Y.

Come ON, Phanan. You know so much better than to make that argument. I'm not arguing with some dumbass on myspace here.

Don't be biased. Ask yourself: would I defend Hinder in this manner? Because you can transpose this argument to any shit artist who had a hit. "Brilliant single" does not mean "song that reached #1".

I'm not talking about the charts, although an English rock band reaching #1 on Billboard is a rarity these days.

I'm talking about most of the reviews I've seen for the song. It appears that a lot of people genuinely like it. Your fellow musketeer LMP seems to agree.

I'm talking about most of the reviews I've seen for the song. It appears that a lot of people genuinely like it. Your fellow musketeer LMP seems to agree.

Ohhhhhhh...OK. Chart performance and sales can be manipulated, but it's hard to argue with an honest review, even if it's just by some uninformed nobody.

Basically, the "brilliant" in "brilliant single" is, for me, defined by 1. its overall quality and, at a distant #2. its ability to catch on with the populous and remain there. There's something really insular and slightly arrogant about the song that makes me think it won't become a great song to get drunk and wave lighters to and, moreover, I just really don't think it's all that great of a song. Meh.

Yeah, how would "Viva la Vida Loca" even sound live? Would it just be strings piped in over the PA, Chrissy posturing and singing onstage while the rest of the band takes a pee break?

With any other band, I'd agree. The thing with Coldplay is -- and I am a fan, mind you -- they are SO obviously HUGE U2 fans that it affects almost everything they do. I think it's part of their charm. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Coldplay is like a little puppy that tags at U2's heels, and makes great songs as a result.

Kinda like Rob then, only without the "great songs" bit.

The problem with Viva la Vida as a single is it simply isn't big enough...it's too empty, that dude up there banging that drum and that bell isn't going to cut it....the only thing it has going for it is its catchiness...but they can't rely solely on that. When everything settles down, it will begin to fall into place.

I think if Coldplay was going to rival JT/AB then we would see some progress. Despite what GG sees in Viva la Vida, it's not enough...sure it's better than past albums, but compare U2's albums leading up to JT. You could feel it coming...I'm not feeling it with Coldplay :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom