Coldplay album review mega-thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Next time I see the word 'Coldplay' anywhere in a new thread, I swear I'm going to look for filtering software that can automatically edit out the word Coldplay and replace it with the word 'overrated'. Then I'll just send a copy to Elvis or Sicy.

:angry:

Yeah, the pitchfork review, I knew that one was coming, and I have to agree with it. I did cringe a little at this:

The album got them tagged as "the next U2," a ridiculously off-base coronation that ignores the fact that U2 recorded "I Will Follow", "New Year's Day", "Bad", and The Joshua Tree, among others, before they wandered off into the MOR wilderness.

Yikes, U2 in the middle-of-the-road wilderness:huh: This guy must not be a fan of anything U2 post Joshua Tree. I can't be surprised, though, it is pitchfork.

On the other hand, this might be a way of pitchfork giving U2 a complement without coming right out and saying so. I have a love/hate relationship with this site. :shrug:

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
Next time I see the word 'Coldplay' anywhere in a new thread, I swear I'm going to look for filtering software that can automatically edit out the word Coldplay and replace it with the word 'overrated'. Then I'll just send a copy to Elvis or Sicy.

:angry:

:whistle:

Coldplay

I will now write the secret code to get back on your good side :wink:

ZoostationEvenbetterthantherealthingOneUntiltheendoftheworldWho´sgonnarideyourwildhorsesSocruelTheFlyMysteriouswaysTryingtothrowyourarmsaroundtheworldUltravioletAcrobatLoveisblindness

That should fix it

yimou said:

ZoostationEvenbetterthantherealthingOneUntiltheendoftheworldWho´sgonnarideyourwildhorsesSocruelTheFlyMysteriouswaysTryingtothrowyourarmsaroundtheworldUltravioletAcrobatLoveisblindness

That should fix it

:lol:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

unosdostres14 said:

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF COLDPLAY!!!!!!!!111

THEY'RE THE GREATEST BAND ON THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET. WAY BETTER THAN THAT OTHER BAND CALLED YOU-TOO OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. COLDPLAY HAS COME OUT WITH A WHOPPING THREE AMAZING ALBUMS...WHICH AUTOMATICALLY PROPELS THEM TO THE STATUS OF BEST BAND ON EARTH.

ACTUALLY 4 AWESOME ALBUMS CAUSE THEY'RE AWESOME LIVE!!!!

LIVE 2003 IS COOL!!!!!

BUT YOU ALSO CANT FORGET ABOUT THEIR MANY SINGLES...THEY TOPPED THE CHARTS IN SCOTLAND YOU KNOW! :|

Last edited:
kakvox said:
Yeah, the pitchfork review, I knew that one was coming, and I have to agree with it. I did cringe a little at this:

Yikes, U2 in the middle-of-the-road wilderness:huh: This guy must not be a fan of anything U2 post Joshua Tree. I can't be surprised, though, it is pitchfork.

On the other hand, this might be a way of pitchfork giving U2 a complement without coming right out and saying so. I have a love/hate relationship with this site. :shrug:

Achtung Baby dissing. THIS WILL NOT STAND! :wink:

I listened to X&Y on Rhapsody tonight while shopping online for new sandals (don't laugh, the trusty pair I wore for three years is shot and I can't find anything decent in any store in town). It seemed to take a long, long time for the album to end. Only on rare occassions did I hear something interesting enough to distract me from my shopping, and then it only lasted about 30 seconds and it was back to the same old same old. I actually liked the sort of countryish, acoustic song "Til Kingdom Come" at the end better than anything else on the album - maybe because they did something unexpected for once.

Zootlesque wrote: Next time I see the word 'Coldplay' anywhere in a new thread, I swear I'm going to look for filtering software that can automatically edit out the word Coldplay and replace it with the word 'overrated'. Then I'll just send a copy to Elvis or Sicy.
great post Zootlesque!
they are overrated fluffy-bunnies with lukewarm songs. i really hate all that boring falsettos. its on every song.. can't stand it:down::down::down:
the world does not need coldplayers. the world needs hotplayers with their heart full of passion. all i wanna say is that we need more rockers:rockon::rockon::rockon:

after 1 day of listening to it...i really like the album and i'm sure it will grow on me as the last 2 did. and as for the reviews...well if you base your music taste on reviews your pretty sad and need to get an opinion of your own. yes mags like Q and blender overrated it (Q did give the strokes room on fire 5 stars too :shocked: ) and i think that some like rollingstone (sad excuse for a music mag) and pitchfork ( will give nothing a good review that's not from an indie band or radiohead) underestimated it.

i'm waiting to hold my judgement on this album til i have it for a few months. it might get better with subsequent listens it may lose some steam and not be played for months. but all in all whether this album turns out to be a mastrpiece and flop or somehwere in between i will still at the end of the day be a huge coldplay fan.

PS....i absolutely :heart: Talk. i can't stop listening to it. :dancing:

Last edited:
"yellow" is one of their best songs and is in my top ten list
I still prefer their first album.

Actually - The Strokes "Room on Fire" is an AWESOME record. It was probably my most listend to non U2 album this past year. I consider it a record like The Stone Roses' first album - just start with track one and let it play.

The new Coldplay has about 7 songs that are great and one Masterpiece - A Message. No, they are not U2, but it is nice to finally have some bands competing for that #2 position in my library vacated that the Smiths and REM used to battle for.

I'd like to see Chris Martin limit the falsetto because he actually has a wonderful voice - see Until Kingdom Come. I like a strategically placed falsetto (Fly, Sometiomes...) - but not most of the song.

AEON said:
Actually - The Strokes "Room on Fire" is an AWESOME record. It was probably my most listend to non U2 album this past year. I consider it a record like The Stone Roses' first album - just start with track one and let it play.

The new Coldplay has about 7 songs that are great and one Masterpiece - A Message. No, they are not U2, but it is nice to finally have some bands competing for that #2 position in my library vacated that the Smiths and REM used to battle for.

I'd like to see Chris Martin limit the falsetto because he actually has a wonderful voice - see Until Kingdom Come. I like a strategically placed falsetto (Fly, Sometiomes...) - but not most of the song.

i like room on fire too but i don't think that it deserved 5 stars. but that is neither here nor there i suppose. :shrug:

The new Coldplay album reminds of a sound U2 would have gotten if they combined (a) The Unforgettable Fire Era with (b) The Zooropa Era and had (c) Thom Yorke as their singer. In other words, why the hell is there so much negativity on here for it?

caragriff said:
for all those praying that these coldplay threads will go away.....just hang on until friday.
that's when all the "u2 setlists SUCK!" threads will take over our world again......

:lmao:

the tourist said:
The new Coldplay album reminds of a sound U2 would have gotten if they combined (a) The Unforgettable Fire Era with (b) The Zooropa Era and had (c) Thom Yorke as their singer. In other words, why the hell is there so much negativity on here for it?

have you actually listened to what Chris Martin is saying? it's like he got all his lyrics from Hallmark cards and Chicken Soup for the Soul Books, only not as original. just plain bad.

Good album!!
:up:
I took a good 5 listens to get to the core of this album. It is sonically different than their previous two. Some great hooks...has kinda of a New Order/Joy Division/Interpol sound to it. I personally don't get the U2 comparisons. Lyrically kind of repetitive...and perhaps unispired....but in my opinion a very solid effort.

Coldplay will rule the world!

I purposely ignored all the Coldplay threads and waited for the CD to come out to make a fair judgement, and I really like the album. Not as much as the last one, but a very good record overall.

:up:

Here's another review, this one from Canada's National Post:

'Very loud for Coldplay is like a System of a Down ballad," Chris Martin said in our interview last month. True enough. But that doesn't make X&Y any less headache-inducing. Taken on their own, pretty well any one of its 13 tracks would make a worthy single -- starting slow and acoustic or with mild piano accompaniment, Martin splicing in his falsetto at appropriate moments, and then building to an epic chorus accompanied by the suitably massive guitar chords for which U2's The Edge should be getting royalties. But 13 singles do not an album make. And listening to Coldplay spending an entire disc trying to one-up Clocks becomes a tiring experience. At the start of each track, we hope in vain that maybe, just this once, they'll opt for moderation and tone it down -- or, if we're really lucky, go in a different direction entirely. But there's no room for subtlety or experimentation here -- these guys are so determined to conquer the world that they're busy driving their formula into the ground. As a result, even tracks that should be standouts -- Fix You and A Message, for instance, either of which sounds epic on its own -- get buried in all the sameness. Only on the hidden track, Til Kingdom Come, do they finally strip down to the basics and show a bit of (falsetto-free) soul. But by then it's too late. Over-thought, overwrought and over-produced, X&Y will probably sell a ton of copies -- but it still feels more like Coldplay's Be Here Now than their Joshua Tree.

i don't mind the record, 1 or 2 great songs, but when you read the interviews with the band with them saying it took 18 months for them to "perfect" this, it just makes me feel sorry for them.

kinda reminds me of when be here now (oasis)got released, it was ok, but doesn't hold a candle to thier previous work

p.s who else thinks that if they had put y in front of x the tracklisting would have been smoother (you need to get the album to understand)

You know, I really do like X & Y, but Martin really is a bad lyricist. This has to be said. The lyrics to "Fix You" are truely cringeworthy.

"When you try your best but you dont succeed.
When you get what you want but not what you need.
When you feel so tired but you can't sleep.
Stuck in reverse...
And the tears coming streaming down your face.
When you leave something you cant replace.
When you love someone but it goes to waste.
Could it be worse. Lights will guide you home.
And ingnite your bones. And I will try to fix you."

Hmmm. Ick.:huh:

I'm really liking to album. I find 1-5 to be pretty perfect. Everything afterwards I haven't listened to that much, but they all just kinda sound the same. The last three songs (including the bonus track) are damn good as well too.

I find "A Message" to just be an attempt to mimic Green Eyes, though I like Green Eyes much better

Back
Top Bottom