books - Page 55 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #811
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Yes, in fact I was planning on rereading some of his stuff this summer, not that there aren't stories by him I haven't read, but I'm a huge fan of Two Cities, Great Expectations, etc. He was such an amazing storyteller.
I just finished this last week, actually. I was surprised to read it was considered minor Dickens, even though it was obviously shorter than some of his other classics.

I will say, it was pretty clear to me once Carton appeared in France what was going to happen at the end. It didn't make it any less moving, but wasn't as dramatic.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #812
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:32 PM
I try to avoid dwelling on criticism be it literary, music or film so I guess I'm surprised that A Tale of Two Cities is compared minor, its one of the most powerful stories ever, even though yes its not all that surprising at the end.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #813
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I just finished this last week, actually. I was surprised to read it was considered minor Dickens, even though it was obviously shorter than some of his other classics.

I will say, it was pretty clear to me once Carton appeared in France what was going to happen at the end. It didn't make it any less moving, but wasn't as dramatic.
I still cannot believe that you read this for the first time now. Wow. Better late than never, though.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #814
Blue Crack Distributor

The only Dickens I've read is Great Expectations, which I had to read back in ... ninth grade maybe? I remember skimming a lot of it.

That being said, I do want to go back and read it again, and potentially another Dickens. Oh, and I've read A Christmas Carol ... which I doesn't think counts as having "read Dickens."
Old 07-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #815
45:33

Local Time: 11:32 AM
Almost finished The Kite Runner, and while it's been intriguing (one of the better books I've read in a while) it has lagged at times, and I enjoyed the first half (childhood etc) much more than I'm enjoying this second half, with all the wars, and constant descriptions of dilapidated towns, Assef, violence...

Got about 60 pages to go.

If anyone's looking for an interesting, anti-war novel that focuses on the psychological rather than the physical, check out Regeneration by Pat Barker. Didn't like it at first but after studying it I became fonder of it.

The Importance of Being Earnest is still my favourite piece of literature though
Old 07-09-2008, 02:52 AM   #816
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
The only Dickens I've read is Great Expectations, which I had to read back in ... ninth grade maybe? I remember skimming a lot of it.

That being said, I do want to go back and read it again, and potentially another Dickens. Oh, and I've read A Christmas Carol ... which I doesn't think counts as having "read Dickens."
I think that counts. If you had only seen Patrick Stewart's one-man-show of ACC, I'd cry foul.

We read Great Expectations in 9th grade as well, Honors English. I'm pretty sure I Cliffed my way through that test as I was bored to tears trying to slog through it. Probably because I was reading too much sci-fi and fantasy on the side.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #817
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Anyone read Infinite Jest? That was 1,000 pages well worth the trip.

Too bad David Foster Wallace hasn't written another novel since.

Did you read his essays, "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again"? The title piece, which is about his experience on a cruise ship, is one of the funniest things I've ever read in my life. I just died, died laughing throughout and could not put it down. I think I like his essays better than his fiction but I don't care what he writes next, I just wish he'd write something (that doesn't have anything to do with math).
Old 07-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #818
Blue Crack Supplier

That's a great collection. I also love his book of short stories, The Girl With Curious Hair.

While I like his non-fiction, I sure wish he'd get back to doing something besides essays. It's been a while. As difficult as it must be to follow something like IJ, the guy's gotta have something more in his imagination.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #819
ONE
love, blood, life

I've been interested in picking up IJ for a long time, but keep wanting to read too many things to commit myself to such a long, strange book.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #820
Blue Crack Supplier

It's funnier than you could possibly imagine. It's not a chore like other long books.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 AM   #821
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:32 AM
We're getting 75+ free books. (Though that does mean we need to buy at least two new bookcases.)
Old 07-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #822
Blue Crack Addict

Alright. I bought my books for my camping trip. I am going to read:

1. The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon and
2. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

Is there a website out there that recommends books in the "If you liked this author, you may like ..." or "If you like this book, you may like ...", or again "If you like this subject, try ...."

I know amazon does that a little bit, but I once had a Janet Jackson album recommended to me because I liked a Leif Enger book. Phail.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #823
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:32 PM
The Sun Also Rises is one of my very favorite books. I reread it every few years. In fact, I'm due for a reread soon. The ending kills me every time. I credit that book for teaching me how to be a writer.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #824
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoIsMyMuse View Post
The Sun Also Rises is one of my very favorite books. I reread it every few years. In fact, I'm due for a reread soon. The ending kills me every time. I credit that book for teaching me how to be a writer.
I learned both how to be a writer and my sense of capitalism from the hand scribbled signs of the homeless.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #825
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Another T.H. Huxley biography, a very relatable character.

Tags
books, reading