books - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #466
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
I'm getting "White Oleander" also, for the same reason.
White Oleander has been one of my favorite books for years, long before they made the movie. The movie was good, the cast was good, Michelle Pfeiffer plays the mother and it wasn't a typical role for her. The mother's character is so complex. But yes, read the book first. It's one of those books that I read again and again over the years. The writing in it is so beautiful.

I waited six years for Janet Fitch's next novel "Paint It Black" and I was so disappointed in it.

I'm also going to the library today.

To work

Old 02-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #467
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

White Oleander has been one of my favorite books for years, long before they made the movie. The movie was good, the cast was good, Michelle Pfeiffer plays the mother and it wasn't a typical role for her. The mother's character is so complex. But yes, read the book first. It's one of those books that I read again and again over the years. The writing in it is so beautiful.

I waited six years for Janet Fitch's next novel "Paint It Black" and I was so disappointed in it.

I'm also going to the library today.

To work
I've heard it both are excellent! I'm probably going to read that one second. I've already started "Notes on a Scandal" and I'm intrigued by it already. I love the style of the narrative. I hope the movie is just as good.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #468
Blue Crack Supplier

Finished "The Blade Itself". It did the trick, but, nothing I'd ever suggest to someone as something they need to read.

The Brothers K is up next.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #469
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Finished reading Atonement&it was utterly heart-breaking and i was very impressed by the film too

Started reading Anne Robinson's autobiography, plus reckon i'll start Great Expectations soon
Old 02-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #470
Blue Crack Distributor

#14 Specials by Scott Westerfeld

The third in that YA sci-fi trilogy I somehow found myself sucked into. I almost didn't count this book as "read" because I skimmed a LOT. I wasn't as concerned about details of this futuristic society, or the writing style. I just skimmed for plot, because I wanted to see what was going down in this one.

Nice little world the author created, though.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #471
Blue Crack Addict

re-reading Princess Trilogy

I'm re-reading the Princess Trilogy. So far I've read the first two books.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #472
War Child

Finally finished The Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen L. Carter. It's a pseudo-legal thriller dealing with Race, ambition, & family loyalty set among the legal academics of an Ivy League university; Carter teaches Law at Yale.

I found parts of it insightful ("Bumpies") but, at nearly 800 pages, extremely long. It would have been a much more interesting read with fewer characters/subplots and a tighter editing process.

Next starting David Sedaris' Barrel Fever and finishing Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #473
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:57 PM
I finished "Notes on a Scandal" and it was excellent. It's one of the best fiction books I've read in ages. The story is just a human drama, but the way it's told it plays out like a thriller in terms of keeping you on the edge of your seat. The characters are very real and you feel a mixture of compassion, anger, and frusturation towards all of them at some point. The way the narrator tells the story ends up revealing her own character more than character who the story is based on. It's brilliant and intriguing. I could not recommend it enough.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #474
The Fly

Jeffery Archer wrote some good books. Mark Twain is good too. I could fill a page of my favorite authors. I go to the library a lot and my city libraries are well funded. There are always the new best sellers there, but you have to request them because they get checked out fast.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #475
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I am almost embarrassed to admit but I just ordered from Amazon Valerie Bertinelli's book and Tor Spelling's book. I hope they are quick reads and not too over the top, I'll let you all know.

Has anyone else read either one?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #476
Blue Crack Addict

I've read Meena, Heroine of Afghanistan, by Melody Ermachild Chavis, and am currently re-re-reading Jean Sasson's Princess Trilogy.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 AM   #477
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:57 PM
I want to read Valerie's book and I still have to read Atlas Shrugged before I read any other book as I promised.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #478
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just finished "Morvern Callar" by Alan Warner.

A very peculiar novel that is by turns macabre, bleak, lyrical and funny. It truly got under my skin, I think I'll be re-reading this in the years to come. It's about a young Scottish girl leading a dead-end existence in a small West Highland port, who in the first pages finds her boyfriend dead on the floor after he'd slit his own throat. The story itself is secondary though; I thought that the novel's true strength is Morvern's idiosyncratic eye for detail and observations and the depiction of life in a small town. Some of the dialect, like "greeting" for "crying", took a while to figure out; I now know how non-Russians feel when reading "Clockwork Orange",
Old 03-02-2008, 04:58 AM   #479
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Quote:
Originally posted by *browneyedgirl*
I want to read Valerie's book and I still have to read Atlas Shrugged before I read any other book as I promised.
I will let you know how it is. I plan to read Valerie's book first then Tori's book.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #480
Blue Crack Distributor

#15 Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell

Last year I read Vowell's The Partly-Cloudy Patriot, and I absolutely loved it. Nothing else I've read by her since has quite measured up.

This one wasn't bad - Vowell, a complete and utter dork for history, delves into the assassinations of three presidents who were not Kennedy (Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley).

It had its moments, some expectedly hilarious, some poignant (comparing US involvement in the Phillippines in the early 1900s with our involvement in Iraq). There was a lot of detail I just wasn't that interested in, though, and I skimmed a bit.

Tags
books, reading