books - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2007, 11:41 PM   #271
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Right now I'm reading 'Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs' by Chuck Klosterman

Old 12-30-2007, 11:44 PM   #272
Blue Crack Supplier

Wake me up when you get to 1984, YLB. I can read a magazine article by Klosterman, but, not a whole book...there's only so much forced pop culture references, stories and comparisons I can take.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:05 AM   #273
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Consider the message delivered.

My favorite part in the book was when he talked about the annual trivia contest at the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point. My home town isn't far from Stevens Point, and I loved listening to their college station.

The annual trivia contest was fascinating to me - it's one of the largest in the world, if I recall correctly, and while I never knew any of the answers, I'd listen to as much of the contest as I could.

When I was in college, our teeny radio station (10 watts) held an annual trivia contest as well, and while it was as teeny as the station, it was a blast to be one of the DJs, up all night reading the questions and playing whatever we wanted, while consuming vast quantities of junk food.
Just finished the book and had to come on to reply to this. That Stevens Point trivia weekend sounds amazing! Did you ever go to the town when they were holding it, or was your town close enough that it spilled over into it?

I had pretty high expectations for this book, but it surpassed them. An excellent read, with just the right mix of personal and historical topics.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #274
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
Just finished the book and had to come on to reply to this. That Stevens Point trivia weekend sounds amazing! Did you ever go to the town when they were holding it, or was your town close enough that it spilled over into it?
I've been to Stevens Point, but not often. It's about 40 minutes from my hometown. I mainly just listened to the radio station, which would only come in on the stereo in our family room. And sometimes the car, depending on where I was.

I'm sure there were loads of teams playing the trivia game all over the area, though.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 PM   #275
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I'm almost done with Portnoy's Complaint. Funny at times, but kinda overrated if you ask me. Anyone else read this?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:33 PM   #276
Blue Crack Distributor

I've never read any Philip Roth. I feel like I should, but I just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
I'm almost done with Portnoy's Complaint. Funny at times, but kinda overrated if you ask me. Anyone else read this?

It seemed funnier when I was younger. Annoying when I read it again older. Maybe it was the times.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #278
Blue Crack Supplier

I've read 3 Roth titles, and to be honest, each has left me slightly underwhelmed. I'm sure that's more a reflection me, but still. I'll not read another book by him since I derive no real pleasure from it.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #279
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint

It seemed funnier when I was younger. Annoying when I read it again older. Maybe it was the times.
Yeah, exactly, it's annoying. 285 pages of some guy whine about his mother and then brag about sex....and somehow these two are supposed to be intertwined yet seperate.

I can see it being funny for a high school cause he talks about sex. lol. lol. He said "prick" lol.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 PM   #280
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Fortunately I've had the chance to read the word "prick" in much better books. I've managed to engage my prurient interests without dealing with the whining. It did have the snicker factor though.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:23 PM   #281
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Well, at the moment, I'm reading Victor Hugo's Les Miserables and Mikhail Lermontov's A Hero Of Our Time. G. K. Chesterton's The Everlasting Man is sitting on the backburner.

I just finished Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime And Punishment and I think it was absolutely stunning. I can't wait to move onto The Brothers Karamazov soon. Leo Tolstoy's War And Peace is also on the "to read soon" pile.

Ah, summer. I always just stay indoors away from the awful bloody weather and get lots of good reading done. The season clearly isn't all bad.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #282
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:53 PM
I really want to read A Confederacy of Dunces after 1984, worth it?
Old 01-01-2008, 02:07 AM   #283
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Well, at the moment, I'm reading Victor Hugo's Les Miserables and Mikhail Lermontov's A Hero Of Our Time. G. K. Chesterton's The Everlasting Man is sitting on the backburner.

I just finished Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime And Punishment and I think it was absolutely stunning. I can't wait to move onto The Brothers Karamazov soon. Leo Tolstoy's War And Peace is also on the "to read soon" pile.

Ah, summer. I always just stay indoors away from the awful bloody weather and get lots of good reading done. The season clearly isn't all bad.
Good stuff, Axver.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:53 AM   #284
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back again
My friend gave me the book "Veil of Roses" fo christmas, she couldnt stop raving about it but I have 2 autobiographies i need to finish first b4 I start this new one
Old 01-01-2008, 05:10 AM   #285
45:33

Local Time: 10:53 AM
For school I have read The Good Earth by Pearl Buck, The Importance of Being Earnest (can't quite figure out why it's so famous) and am in the process of reading Pat Barker's Regeneration.

Tags
books, reading