Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:

Or they could take notes from the 1989 version of themselves.

Even then, there wasn't THAT much diversity, comparatively speaking. They did 38 unique songs at 47 shows, and I think only 31 of those songs were U2 originals.

Can't decide if I want the boot. The idea is amazing, but I don't know how exciting it would be to listen to without being there.

The explanation was funny "...so we don't send you home suicidal!"

Even if they don't change the amount of songs they play, re-arranging the set every night would be welcome - not just having this "this set for Night 1, this set for Night 2" baloney.

I wish U2 would realize that as time goes by, nostalgia gets stronger and stronger, and people REALLY want to start hearing older stuff. *TUF coughcough*

Axver said:

Even then, there wasn't THAT much diversity, comparatively speaking. They did 38 unique songs at 47 shows, and I think only 31 of those songs were U2 originals.

I actually wanted to try creating a number of decent same setlists for tours like ZooTV, where they really could have done some great things and never did.

That was a kick ass show on an individual basis, but as a whole never did much.

What the hell is The Unforgettable Fire?

Apparently they soundcheck a ton of stuff but never play it. I still don't understand that, what have they got to lose?

I think that a band with a catalogue as deep as U2 has absolutely no excuse for not doing varied setlists. This whole idea that they need to keep it static and packed with hits for the casual fan is clearly complete bollocks, and anybody who believes that needs to stop being such a blinded U2 defender.

The casual fan might not like it too much.

U2's number one rule, proven time and time again: we'd rather get a new fan than keep an old one.

Axver said:
I think that a band with a catalogue as deep as U2 has absolutely no excuse for not doing varied setlists. This whole idea that they need to keep it static and packed with hits for the casual fan is clearly complete bollocks, and anybody who believes that needs to stop being such a blinded U2 defender.

:applaud: That is one reason why posting in EYKIW is useless :lol:

phillyfan26 said:

U2's number one rule, proven time and time again: we'd rather get a new fan than keep an old one.

Which makes enough sense for it to be a legit reason, and they throw the hardcore fans some bones, but they can't please everyone.

Axver said:

Jesus. Springsteen did a single show back in 1980 that was 38 songs long.

That's one show. One night.

phillyfan26 said:

I actually wanted to try creating a number of decent same setlists for tours like ZooTV, where they really could have done some great things and never did.

That was a kick ass show on an individual basis, but as a whole never did much.

ZooTV definitely had a lot of unrealised potential. Even just simple substitutions: Zooropa opening instead of Zoo Station, or Acrobat instead of UTEOTW.

Would ANY U2 fan be disappointed if they didn't hear Elevation during the Vertigo Tour? I mean, really? I can understand those who want Pride, but something like Elevation being played every night just pisses me off. Even if it was a better version. It's just not that good of a track, and there's so much else they could do there.

phanan said:

The guy's a beast.

Have you seen any of the Springsteen sketches on Ben Stiller's old Ben Stiller Show?

'Tales of Springsteen' is one of my favorite things ever. He not only shows up and plays all of his songs at a bar, but makes everyone drinks, cleans the place up, and shines a guy's shoes.

phanan said:

Springsteen has jaded me in the three month binge I've been on with his music. I can't rebound after this tour, and seeing what all he's done in the past.

LemonMacPhisto said:

The guy's a beast.

Have you seen any of the Springsteen sketches on Ben Stiller's old Ben Stiller Show?

'Tales of Springsteen' is one of my favorite things ever. He not only shows up and plays all of his songs at a bar, but makes everyone drinks, cleans the place up, and shines a guy's shoes.

I haven't seen the other Tales of Springsteen, but I've seen THAT one :lmao: it was amazing.

I quite enjoy counting with Springsteen

LemonMacPhisto said:

The guy's a beast.

No, never saw those. I'll have to see if they are on youtube or something.

If they had some sort of rotating system, like this:

New songs - 5/6 every night, but not the same ones
Not-so-classic tracks - 4/5
"Classics" - 5/6 (as long as Bad or Streets is played every night)
Rarities - 4/5

And change the order in which they play them and you're all solid.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Rarities - 4/5

I could live with that.

phillyfan26 said:

I don't even buy this. Imagine the following as the first ten songs of two different nights:

1. Vertigo
2. I Will Follow
3. Elevation
4. Beautiful Day
5. The First Time
6. Angel Of Harlem
7. Mysterious Ways
8. The Fly
9. The Electric Co.
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. Desire
4. Out Of Control
5. Gloria
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. All I Want Is You
8. One Tree Hill
9. One
10. Pride

Every single one of those songs was played on Vertigo (except EBTTRT, which was soundchecked). A casual fan would be bloody happy with either of those, and very few people here would be complaining either. It's DOABLE! It's ridiculous that U2 don't do it.

LemonMacPhisto said:

The guy's a beast.

I think in another one he shows up and gives birth to a child. I also recall him teaching counting to children:

WAH!
TU!
THRI!
FOUAH!

bono_212 said:

Springsteen has jaded me in the three month binge I've been on with his music. I can't rebound after this tour, and seeing what all he's done in the past.

The bootleg of the show is outstanding. It was New Year's Eve, 1980. 38 songs total:

1 Night
2 Prove it all night
3 Spirit in the night
4 Darkness On The Edge Of Town
5 Independence day
6 Who'll stop the rain
7 This Land is your Land
8 The Promised land
9 Out in the street
10 Racing in the street
11 The River
12 Badlands
13 Thunder road
14 Cadillac ranch
15 Sherry darling
16 Hungry heart
17 Merry Christmas Baby
18 Fire
19 Candy's room
20 Because the night
21 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
22 Rendezvous
23 Fade Away
24 The price you pay
25 Wreck on the Highway
26 Two hearts
27 Ramrod
28 You can look
29 Held up without a gun
30 In the midnight hour
31 Auld Lang Syne
32 Rosalita
33 Santa Claus is comin' to town
34 Jungleland
35 Born to run
36 Detroit medley
37 Twist and Shout
38 Raise your hand

Axver said:

I don't even buy this. Imagine the following as the first ten songs of two different nights:

1. Vertigo
2. I Will Follow
3. Elevation
4. Beautiful Day
5. The First Time
6. Angel Of Harlem
7. Mysterious Ways
8. The Fly
9. The Electric Co.
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. Desire
4. Out Of Control
5. Gloria
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. All I Want Is You
8. One Tree Hill
9. One
10. Pride

Every single one of those songs was played on Vertigo (except EBTTRT, which was soundchecked). A casual fan would be bloody happy with either of those, and very few people here would be complaining either. It's DOABLE! It's ridiculous that U2 don't do it.

I was joking. I think it's all bullshit. U2 sucks with setlists.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Rarities - 4/5

I would wholeheartedly support this.

phillyfan26 said:

I was joking. I think it's all bullshit. U2 sucks with setlists.

Right. I don't get the "casual fan won't like it" argument, as my alternate sets just then show.

I honestly don't get how U2 stays sane playing the same set over and over. Do they really find that interesting? Do they really not have a passion to expose people to their back catalogue? I mean, gigs with 40,000 people would be a great opportunity to play some rarities and encourage some casual fans to dig deeper. "Wow, I loved that song after Vertigo, I wonder what it was! Oh, it was called Wire? And it's on The Unforgettable Fire? Ooh, that album's got Pride and Bad too, I better buy it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom