Best American Band Ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pearl Jam or REM. Wlico may get there after a few more albums.

For some reason, all the classic 60's and 70's bands are British (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd). Why is that?

as much as i am partial to The Pixies and Jane's Addiction, I don't think they captured "the masses" as much as Aerosmith.

IWasBored said:
bruce springsteen & the e street band

How did I forget about Bruce & R.E.M.? :reject: I guess Wilco just gets all my lovin' these days.

This is a no-brainer....

REO Speedwagon!

"i'm gonna keep on lovin you!
Cos it's the only thing i wanna do!
i don't wanna sleep
i just wanna keep on lovin' you!"...

eat your heart out bruce.

REM get second place.

actually, i'd pick blood for blood as second place. or ramallah, or sinners & saints. some white trash rob lind project. that guy is a fucking genius, worthy of being up there with those considered classics. unfortunatly, i'm pretty sure 99% of the people on this site would hate all those bands. but what can you do?

Bruce is strong because he does represent America to so many people, same with The Beach Boys.

Interesting that so many of the biggest British bands like The Beatles, Stones, Zepplin were influenced by early American rock and blues and really wanted to sound like Americans.

Bruce Springsteen isn't a band, folks. While he recorded a handful of albums with the E Street Band, he's recorded just as many without, and the band didn't help write any of the songs.

I'm tenatively going with R.E.M. despite the last two sleeping pills disguised as albums they released. But I'd really rather put Pavement up at the top for consistency.

Runners-Up: Steely Dan (though I'm not sure if they qualify as a "band" either), the Velvets, and the Pixies.

And a big shout-out to whoever mentioned The Replacements--my high school idols.

The Doors, even though so many people think they're overrated that you'd think they'd be underrated or just rated by now. Pearl Jam's up there too.

I'm sorry to say something like this, because it goes against all the jazz I usually stand for...but there is literally no debate on this matter.

THE VELVET UNDERGROUND. Obviously.

Bruce and the E-Street Band produced some of the most vital music since the Velvets disbanded.

R.E.M. were spectacular and very influential.

Bob Dylan (if we're counting individual artists) is godly.

So is Beck.

And don't forget about Frank Zappa.

But there's absolutely no contest, man...I really believe that. The Velvets perfected or created pretty much every sub-genre of contemporary "rock" music in, like, four years. Shocking. And perfect.

bsp77 said:
Pearl Jam or REM

For some reason, all the classic 60's and 70's bands are British (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd). Why is that?

Ditto.

and

Ditto! I've always wondered why!

we must be the same person. :wink:

So what do you mean best? Are we talkin' personal opinion or the most successful, the most influential? I don't have a clue about the second but I'd definitely pick R.E.M. or the Replacements as my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom