Bands You Don't "Get." - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2005, 03:18 PM   #136
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Noopie
it wasn't until I put all their albums on an mp3 disk and wore my headphones while stumbling through the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam while tripping on 'shrooms that they reached my top 3...
Wow, and I thought I was the only one!!! *sarcasm*

I've always admired OK Computer, but only recently have I gotten into everything else. I have no idea what was wrong with my head to not listen earlier. I'm now firmly of the opinion that Radiohead are to rock music what Beethoven and Stravinsky are to classical music...they are technically perfect.

You are either with me or against me on this. (If you are against me, there will be repercussions, such as trade sanctions, unjest invasions, that kind of thing.)

Old 10-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #137
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

You are either with me or against me on this. (If you are against me, there will be repercussions, such as trade sanctions, unjest invasions, that kind of thing.)

Do your worst.

The last 3 RH albums are, for the most part, wastes of plastic and paper.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screendoor
I like DMB, the fans are annoying.
OMG thats what I say!!!!!!!!!

I cannot stand Los Lonely Boys

I'm with the Nirvana people... they were huge when I was in high school but I just didn't get it

Grateful Dead...don't hate them..but I don't get it..same goes for Phish I just hate them..(yes people..I'm from VT and I hate Phish )
Old 10-20-2005, 08:37 PM   #139
War Child

Local Time: 07:44 AM
For me it's Green Day. Dont hate them, but I just don't really like them either.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 PM   #140
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:44 PM
that makes sense, joyful. and atomic bono as well
Old 10-20-2005, 10:41 PM   #141
The Fly

Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

Do your worst.

The last 3 RH albums are, for the most part, wastes of plastic and paper.
Kid A is their best album.

OK Computer is the most overrated album in modern music.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #142
The Fly

And No Doubt was good before Greg left.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:25 AM   #143
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:44 AM
I am a little taken aback my some peoples' 'this is my opinion and it'll never change ever ever ever' mindset. I am also a little taken aback by the what some people consider to be 'thourogh listening'.

First of all, whoever said Pink Floyd was boring - what, not enough hooks or choruses? Think SOUNDSCAPES and AURAL LANDSCAPES. This isn't background music. This isn't music to get accustomed to in a car. This is put-your-headphones-on-and-drown-everything-else-in-the-world-out-and-let-the-music-come-over-you music. If that's not your cup of tea, then it's not your cup of tea.

The Beatles were, and are, incredible. Period. And listening to 'some' songs isn't enough. Listen to Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, and Abbey Road(for starters) ALL THE WAY THROUGH. With headphones. And please, do NOT fall into the trap of thinking 'Beatles 1' is an accurate summation of what the Beatles were about. It is an accurate summation of what the Beatles were about pre-Rubber Soul, in the time of mop-tops and Italian suits. Despite including staples like Hey Jude and Long And Winding Road(which are great imo), it pretty much ignores the entire latter half of the Beatles career. The Beatles were SO much more than the mop tops and Italian suits.

Radiohead is easily one of the two or three best bands still recording new music. Probably the best band still recording new music that aren't yet in the category of 'legends'. To say Kid A, Amnesiac, and HTTT are wastes of plastic and paper, and to even imply that they are all worse than Pablo Honey, is absurd. The improvement and growth RH have made and had from PH -> Kid A is one of the biggest leaps in output quality I've ever heard a band take with just two records in between. In a way, it's a shame that The Bends and OKC came so early in RH's career, because it's created a whole subdivision of fans and music listeners that can't bring themselves to see RH's more recent work as anything other than the work of a band that got too confident and went up their own asses. The explanation of the band making music that challenges the listener has been used often, but I think it's more than that. In reality, it is only the work of a band doing something far too many bands are afraid to do in the age of record companies that don't give bands second chances: They're challenging THEMSELVES. They're challenging themselves to not rest on their laurals, and to create something new each time out. There's this little Irish band that used to be all about that attitude as well. But that's what the great bands do. RH rules.

Bob Dylan is one of the greatest lyricists of the last century. There are probably courses dedicated soley to his work. Enough said.

Green Day aren't great technical musicians, but they are good at what they do. They've been around for a decade and a half and their most recent record is the best one they've ever made. Their tunes are solid and catchy and I think they have done and continue to do a good job redefining 'punk'.

I could on and on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a difference between 'not liking' a certain band or artist and 'not getting' a certain band or artist. For example, I'm not a fan of Maroon 5 but I 'get' why people like them. If you can produce a list of reasons why you don't 'get' a band or an artist, they are probably, in some way, shape, or form, the same reason somebody else likes that band or artist. And if you can list those reasons, then you probably understand why other people do like them. So, if you can produce such a list, chances are you just 'don't like' that band, rather than 'don't get' them.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:40 AM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Neil Young
Bruce Springsteen
Old 10-21-2005, 03:07 AM   #145
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:44 PM
Joyful: Regarding Jeff, thanks for that interesting tidbit. I didn't really know that. What I meant was I really don't like all his vocal inflections, for instance his long drawn wailing in 'Grace'. It grates with me. 'Hallelujah' is magnificent though.

Regarding Pink Floyd, I still find them dull. As someone before said, there's a reason why punk came around and pissed on prog.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:21 AM   #146
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
The Beatles were, and are, incredible. Period. And listening to 'some' songs isn't enough. Listen to Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, and Abbey Road(for starters) ALL THE WAY THROUGH. With headphones.
Please. If you hear numerous songs on the radio by a band and decide you don't like them, do you actually bother to go out and get their albums? Even though you don't like what you've heard over the space of years, do you bother to sit down and listen through multiple albums?

Of course you don't.

I've been subjected to quite enough Beatles marathons to know I don't like them and listening to some discs won't change that opinion. I'd rather listen to music I enjoy.

Quote:
Radiohead is easily one of the two or three best bands still recording new music.
You have to be kidding. The Bends is a good album, but OK Computer is seriously patchy, especially the slower stuff, and the assortment I've heard from the later albums is rarely of high quality. It doesn't help that Thom Yorke's voice gets really annoying after a few songs.

Quote:
Green Day aren't great technical musicians, but they are good at what they do.
Yeah, they've mastered the art of being lame wannabe punks.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-21-2005, 07:07 AM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

Greenday blah....the lead singer has the most annoying voice in the world *ducks flying objects

Bob Dylan-yeah some of his lyrics are good but I just cannot listen too him for too long, one or two songs then I want to strangle something

Maroon 5-
Old 10-21-2005, 09:52 AM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dismantled

Maroon 5-

same
Old 10-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Those damn emo bands. For God sakes would you just take some Valium and shut the hell up?? *tears out eyeballs*
Old 10-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #150
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
You have to be kidding. The Bends is a good album, but OK Computer is seriously patchy, especially the slower stuff, and the assortment I've heard from the later albums is rarely of high quality.
With the possible exceptions of Fitter Happier and Electioneering, I consider every track on OK Computer to be great.