Argentina 0 England masquerading as the Italian defence 1 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2002, 09:29 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Argentina 0 England masquerading as the Italian defence 1

Impressive, dogged and team oriented display by England tonight, they really couldve scored a couple more, and the defending was so desperate...

Fitting that Becks would score from the spot after '98

Old 06-07-2002, 09:40 AM   #2
Babyface

Local Time: 05:21 PM
Awesome

England played excellent the first half, They were on the back foot a bit in the last 20 minutes, But deserved to win..

And how sweet it was

Come on sweden

Old 06-07-2002, 09:59 AM   #3
Acrobat

oh bloody great now well never hear the end of it.

What makes me laugh is that if Beckham had have missed that penalty it would have been 98 all over again. The english fans and media are so fickle its unreal.

Imagine if It was David Beckham instead of Roy Keane walked out? Death threats, media crucifixions, the whole shebang.

i dont like england at all, as you might have guessed, i wanted argentina to win, but i still wanted Beckham to score that penalty, because if he had have missed, he would have been crucified!i felt sorry for him!

England are obsessed with 1966, the pressure on the team is unreal. And while i dont want to tar all english with the same brush- i know loads of english people and they are lovely, but their "fans" are an absolute disgrace. Louts. They seem to have a misplaced sense of "We used to rule the world so now we can do what we want". as i said, i know there are a lot of good fans out there not like that, but the world gets the impression of the small few.
The Japanese thought that we were like the hooligans from england at first, because our countries are beside each other, and that really p***ed me off too.

the next few days in the media will be so bad!And Beckham will be hailed as a hero! Flippin hypocrisy at its worst, seeing as they made his life hell four years ago and hes only recently emerged from the shadow.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:16 AM   #4
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:21 PM
I haven't seen it yet
but so far every commentator seems to think it was an undeserved penalty

so,
what's the deal ?
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-07-2002, 10:21 AM   #5
Acrobat

wink

well i did actually think it was a clear penalty!

The game was good but i cant help feeling that argentina were beaten by their own poorness on the day rather than Englands greatness.

What y'all think?

By the way, Scholes is a star, a fantastic player, he should get a lot of the credit. The best thing that happened to england in that game was Hargreaves coming off, because Scholes was stifled on the left, its not his natural position, and he wasnt able to show his brilliant creativity.

Wasnt impressed with Beckham at all, although i suppose it was to be expected with the injury and all
Old 06-07-2002, 10:23 AM   #6
Refugee

Obviously those commentators were Argentinian then.

England deserved to win and anyone who thinks otherwise is deserving of being taken outside and ran over by a very large bus. A few times.

And ccolhandlaura, you are an absolute disgrace. If you are so bothered about the fickleness of the English media, I suggest two words to you... "Eamonn" and "Dunphy".

You are only jealous because Ireland have still only ever won one game at a World Cup finals
Old 06-07-2002, 10:26 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:21 AM
This is going to get ugly...
Old 06-07-2002, 10:28 AM   #8
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by bullet the blue sky
Obviously those commentators were Argentinian then.
no, they are from Belgium
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-07-2002, 10:30 AM   #9
Refugee

Would these be the same Belgians who conceded a perfectly good goal to Japan the other day?

Good win for Holland last week too.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:32 AM   #10
Acrobat

oh yeah, eamonn dunphy. OBVIOUSLY the treatment Beckham received 4 years ago is nowhere near as bad as what eamonn dunphy said.

OBVIOUSLY roy keane will soon be driven out of ireland to retreat to america with his wife. In case you didnt realise, he flew back INTO ireland last week, not OUT of.

and of course a country with an entire population which is equal to a third of the population of london alone even reaching the world cup is shit. y'know, OBVIOUSLY.

look bullet, i dont want to fight with you, but, not just on a Defending England To Ireland point of view, what do you think of your media, and the hooligans who like to call themselves fans?

Im not implying in any way you are one of these, im not trying to "get one over on england" im just putting my opinion forward. Or is that not allowed anymore? That makes me a disgrace?

Oh yeah and seeing as youre allowed to hark back on past victories-

Stuttgart 1988, Ray Houghton, 1-0.

Old 06-07-2002, 10:39 AM   #11
Refugee

But David Beckham has come back to score lots of goals for England.

Roy Keane has ran away from Ireland for good. I really don't see your point.

I wasn't harking back at history, and you know if I did I would win that argument. So let's not go there.

As for the hooligans who call themselves fans, I don't really want to go down there either. They are just thugs who use football as an excuse to go have a fight. If football wasn't popular, and rugby was, they'd be rugby hooligans. It is a matter of convenience to them. And as we know, the more sinister Irish people tend to spend their time doing "other" things rather than bother with being hooligans at football games.

And I called you a disgrace for going on about the whole Beckham thing for no apparent reason. You are obviously a Roy Keane fan and probably a Manchester United fan. So I suppose I had better take pity on you instead of berate you
Old 06-07-2002, 10:39 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
alright alright.. ALRIGHT! cool it Bullet

Fraid to say son I saw a documentary on English hooligans......................I seriously had to work at pickin my jaw up off the floor.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:42 AM   #13
Refugee

Well you should see the Dutch, German, Yugoslav, Turkish, Italian, Argentine and Croat hooligans then.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:46 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!

Well maybe so Bullet, but its almost like the English hooligans are seen or made to be seen as the worst because they are so destructive.......

and another thing.......during whatever year and time it was, when over here in Ireland, England and Ireland were playin........who instigated the rioting there?

England of course........Ireland were calm, but England became unncessarily abusive over political reasons........unbelievable! Considerin there were kids there.......and the adults acted wags.

sorry Bullet, but sometimes it pees me off..............although I understand u stickin up for ur country......
Old 06-07-2002, 10:54 AM   #15
Refugee

I would hardly say I am sticking up for my country. I am just pointing out that these hooligans in other countries are a lot worse. However, such is the English media's obsession with these hooligans, every time they do so much as breathe then its all over the news... whereas in other countries - Italy particularly - they try to ignore their own problems altogether. Everyone in England knows this.

I have been to probably closing in on 500 games of football in England and have never seen any real trouble... I went abroad to France four years ago to watch Germany v Yugoslavia and a policeman got put into a coma. But no-one remembers stuff like that.