2008 Grammy Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Amy Winehouse is still a hot mess, but I loved her reaction to winning song of the year. She seemed so happy and surprised. Poor thing needs some good news in her life. I liked her performance, too.

2. Ummm ... Herbie Hancock for album of the year? Really??? Way to be relevant, Grammys.

2a. I understand that the "album of the year" category can be a mishmash of rock, country, jazz, rap, whatever. But then wouldn't you think it's a clump of the best albums of the year in each of those categories? And then wouldn't you think if Vince Gill is nominated for album of the year, he would have won country album of the year? And yet he didn't. I don't get it.

2b. Herbie Hancock? Really???

3. How is Umbrella a rap song? Just because it has Jay-Z rapping in it for a little bit of the song should not make it a "rap" song. It's a pop song with some rapping. That's a big wtf, honestly.

4. Loved Kanye West (he made me rock out with the first song, and then cry with the song to his mom). Loved Tina Turner and Beyonce.

5. Didn't really love the Beatles tribute. I love the Love album, but the whole Cirque du Soleil thing is just not for me. I have no desire to sit and watch a circus of whimsy or whatever. It's just totally not my thing.

5a. Sometimes a gospel choir can move me to tears, other times it's a big fat pile of meh. The "Let It Be" gospel choir thing from Across the Universe falls into the latter category.

6. Oh, and the My Grammy Moment thing this year sucked. Last year's winner got to sing and dance with Justin Timberlake. This year's winner got to be one member of a 30-piece orchestra backing the Foo Fighters. Um ... yay?

7. Ooh, and I forgot - I LOVED The Time! I thought the segue into Rihanna was awesome. Nuts to all the haters - Rihanna's album is really fun.

Last edited:
After reading the whole thread, I think Lazarus has good points about Herbie Hancock. I don't begrudge him the win, it just seems so out of left fied. I loved that he looked so damn happy everytime you saw him - performing, sitting in the audience, winning. Good for him.

I'll be the defender of the O Brother, Where Art Thou best album win. I don't remember what it was up against, but that album was HUGE. It sparked a little revival of American roots music that I thought was wonderful. You might not like that sort of music, but it's hard to deny its impact and popularity.

And of course, it shouldn't be just about popularity, but I think for album of the year, like record and song of the year, should take into consideration any cultural impact. Ubiquity doesn't equal "good," obviously, but impact is big.

Because of that, I think Amy Winehouse's song of the year win was well-deserved (although I wouldn't have been surprised to see "Umbrella" win), but I thought she would have taken album of the year, too.

Edit: since no one has anything more to say and it's just me talking to myself, I'll ramble on more. :wink:

I forgot about the posthumous awards they gave to Ray Charles a few years ago, including album of the year. Was that really the best album of that year? When I finally got around to picking up a copy (the company I work for was heavily involved in the album's release, so there was much celebrating after its win, so I got one for free - whoot), I was kind of pleasantly surprised that it wasn't all that bad. If you like that sort of thing.

But was it really the best of the year? Or was it just nice to honor a Dead Grammy Legend?

Last edited:
I thought the funniest thing of all was that lady who performed with Kid Rock-she looked so confused. Even more confused when she was looking at the Foo Fighters.

I really can't understand how people are still surprised when the Grammy's pick the least likely or least appreciated album in a category to win. They love doing that crap. They always have some sort of theme to support their illogical decisions too.

"This year the Grammy Awards are celebrating the music of _____" or "This year we want to look back at the history of ____"
:later an album in that genre or with some sort of connection wins a huge award despite no one even caring/knowing about it:

It's like a tradition for them. Don't forget the big LMAO last year with Dixie Chicks practically sweeping everything when most people probably felt their album didn't even deserve to be nominated. I beat out a lot of more well received, unique, and interesting albums. Oh well at least some of the performances were pretty good this year and Kanye pretty much takes over every show he appears on, thats my boy!

p.s. Dang Aretha Franklin looked like she swallowed an Aretha Franklin impersonator

catlhere said:
It's like a tradition for them. Don't forget the big LMAO last year with Dixie Chicks practically sweeping everything when most people probably felt their album didn't even deserve to be nominated.

Who are these "most people"? The Dixie Chicks album was very well-received. Or are you just talking about how you don't like them?

I just read "Umbrella" won best rap/sung collaboration, not rap song, which makes a LOT more sense. I withrdaw my rant about it. :wink:

The Dixie Chicks are talentless bums that not only didn't deserve to be nominated, but their album shouldn't have even hit the market, nor should they have been signed in the first place. :wink:

I'm not too sure if that bright yellow was the right colour for Aretha.

And out of curiosity, I know how many wins U2 have had, but how many Grammy nominations has U2 had?

Slipstream said:
I'm not too sure if that bright yellow was the right colour for Aretha.
The ridiculousness of the colour/pattern dress you wear as a celebrity is directly proportional to your weight.

LemonMelon said:
The Dixie Chicks are talentless bums that not only didn't deserve to be nominated, but their album shouldn't have even hit the market, nor should they have been signed in the first place. :wink:

I'll assume you're kidding, because I'm sure you wouldn't want me to drive all the way to wherever you are and kick your ass.

:madwife:

TAKIN A TURN ON THE ..............................SINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNWAGON am i rite?

leernp0.gif

You'd best not mock the Dixie Chicks, Canadiens. I actually DO know where you live (more or less ... the province, anyway), and I will not hesitate to schedule a cross-country trip to come and kick your ass.

:madwife:

:wink:

Cori: O Brother beat out Dylan's Love and Theft and U2's ATYCLB, and I think maybe Bruce's The Rising. The Dylan album was just as much a tribute to American roots music, but was original, and really deserved the win that year. In my opinion, "various artists" albums should NEVER be nominated for this award. It's a soundtrack! As I said before, at least Herbie Hancock reinterpreted Joni's material with his own unique arrangements.

The Ray Charles thing was bullshit, too. A bunch of duets with people that weren't even fresh versions. Occasionally sentimentality prevails here, as it did with Tony Bennett Unplugged (it must have been so hard for him to do those songs without his standard electric guitar support!). I love Tony, but that was not one of the Grammy's best moments.

The Dixie Chicks, while not my thing, have as much of a right to be there as anyone else. They're obviously talented in the vocal department, and the album was very well received critically if I'm not mistaken. There are worse artists who could be winning with country albums (Toby Keith, for example). You also have to give them credit for bouncing back with after their fanbase turned on them because of a bunch of jingoistic hatemongers. Burning records? Why not try them as witches and drown them on top of it?

Laz, do you know who beat Madonna for Album of the Year in 99? I think that would've been the year she was nominated for "Ray of Light".:hmm:

I had no idea that the "O Brother" soundtrack beat out ATYCLB, "The Rising" and "Love and Theft". That's a travesty of unbelievable proportions. All 3 of those albums are brilliant, and the fact that they lost to a soundtrack is just :|

U2isthebest said:
Laz, do you know who beat Madonna for Album of the Year in 99? I think that would've been the year she was nominated for "Ray of Light".:hmm:

I had no idea that the "O Brother" soundtrack beat out ATYCLB, "The Rising" and "Love and Theft". That's a travesty of unbelievable proportions. All 3 of those albums are brilliant, and the fact that they lost to a soundtrack is just :|

"The Rising" didn't even come out until July 2002, which was months after the Grammy Awards for 2001 (held in January or February of 2002) so it wasn't one of the nominees that O Brother beat. IIRC India.Arie and Songs in the Key of A Minor were the other two albums that O Brother beat.

It was Norah Jones that beat Bruce's The Rising the following year for Best Album. And yes, I'm still bitter.

lazarus said:
Cori: O Brother beat out Dylan's Love and Theft and U2's ATYCLB, and I think maybe Bruce's The Rising. The Dylan album was just as much a tribute to American roots music, but was original, and really deserved the win that year. In my opinion, "various artists" albums should NEVER be nominated for this award. It's a soundtrack!

Yeah, that's a good point. I couldn't remember what O Brother had been up against, and seeing the list, I agree it shouldn't have won.

I recall a lot of "ugh, why did THAT shit win - what is that, country?" or whatever that still comes up, and I think my defense of it is more geared to that complaint. But I agree about the various artists/soundtrack point.

Ok, Natalie Cole is officially on my shit list. Sounds like a jealous bitch who needs to shut the fuck up.

She made this statement today:

“I'm going on record as an artist who is able to critique [Amy Winehouse]. I think she has a great talent, but I don't agree with the Grammys giving her those nods. I think it sends the wrong message, that even in the midst of her stupor of drugs she can get nominated for all these awards. It's a slap in the face to musicians and artists who work very hard that they turn around and give it to someone who really obviously doesn't have a grasp of what she has. I've been in this business over 25 years and I sacrificed five years of my own life on drugs and almost lost my life because of it. So I take great offence to almost see someone getting glory out of being in the position that they're in – she needs to get her life together and embrace her craft, she will lose it if she doesn't get it together.”

- Natalie Cole

ultravioletluvv said:
Ok, Natalie Cole is officially on my shit list. Sounds like a jealous bitch who needs to shut the fuck up.

“I'm going on record as an artist who is able to critique [Amy Winehouse]. I think she has a great talent, but I don't agree with the Grammys giving her those nods. I think it sends the wrong message, that even in the midst of her stupor of drugs she can get nominated for all these awards. It's a slap in the face to musicians and artists who work very hard that they turn around and give it to someone who really obviously doesn't have a grasp of what she has. I've been in this business over 25 years and I sacrificed five years of my own life on drugs and almost lost my life because of it. So I take great offence to almost see someone getting glory out of being in the position that they're in – she needs to get her life together and embrace her craft, she will lose it if she doesn't get it together.”

- Natalie Cole

This is so laughable.

I would never condone drug use, but the Grammys (theoretically anyway) are supposed to go to whoever released the best recordings of the year, not who led the most squeaky-clean personal life. Some of the greatest artists of all time would be immediately disqualified if the latter came into account.

Cole needs to shut the fuck up. She won Album of the Year for duetting with her dead father. None of those songs were original material, none were rearranged. She used her father's legacy to further her own career. One of the worst Best Albums of all time. Just because she was unable to make her own mark on music gives her no right to criticize someone who has more soul in one lip than Cole has in her enitre body.

Self-righteous bitch.

Bono's shades said:

"The Rising" didn't even come out until July 2002, which was months after the Grammy Awards for 2001 (held in January or February of 2002) so it wasn't one of the nominees that O Brother beat. IIRC India.Arie and Songs in the Key of A Minor were the other two albums that O Brother beat.

It was Norah Jones that beat Bruce's The Rising the following year for Best Album. And yes, I'm still bitter.

Something about that wasn't sitting right w/ me when I wrote it. And while I enjoyed Bruce's album more, Norah Jones is an amazing talent and deserved the accolades she received that night.

U2isthebest said:

Ray of Light lost to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which also came out in 1998, for Album of the Year. Miseducation also won the annual Pazz & Jop critics poll that year, so it wasn't just an award based on popularity.

They're both great albms, and I would have been cool with either winning.

lazarus said:
And while I enjoyed Bruce's album more, Norah Jones is an amazing talent and deserved the accolades she received that night.

:up:

I didn't care for her third album, but her first two are, I think, really great. I'd love to see her stretch a bit - I know she moonlighted a bit in a rock band before her last album came out.

lazarus said:

Ray of Light lost to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which also came out in 1998, for Album of the Year. Miseducation also won the annual Pazz & Jop critics poll that year, so it wasn't just an award based on popularity.

They're both great albms, and I would have been cool with either winning.

"Miseducation" is a great album too, but since I'm always biased towards Madonna I really wish "Ray of Light" would've won. I was very surprised that COADF wasn't nominated last year, but I guess the dance emphasis did it in.:(

ultravioletluvv said:

- Natalie Cole

Are you kidding me?:| What kind of message does THAT send to society, Natalie? "You've fucked up, so your gift doesn't count any more." You know, Fergie had an addiction to crystal meth, and thankfully, got clean. Ergo, her piece of shit album should've gotten the nods instead of Amy's brilliance. :rolleyes: That's a despicable thing to say about someone who's trying to overcome what Amy is.

Didn't Natalie Cole used to be a crackhead herself? She's just jealous that Amy can be a crackhead and still put out a good album. Natalie is a bitter, old bitch!

Back
Top Bottom