2003/2004 NHL Season - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #736
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:07 AM
I guess Park didn't need to work as hard for his goal.

Old 01-06-2004, 03:49 PM   #737
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:07 AM
owen nolan had his second eye surgery today.

within only the maple leafs realm over the past 4 or 5 years bryan berard, mats sundin and owen nolan have suffered life-changing injuries or near life-changing injuries involving the eye...off the top of my head.
the name escapes me (im sure it doesnt escape mcgriff) but a canuck has limited vision in one eye as a result of a puck i believe.

so, is it time for mandatory visors on incoming players?

Old 01-06-2004, 05:00 PM   #738
Refugee

Mattias Ohlund.

Yeah, I thought they should grandfather the visor in, like the league did with imposing helmets. Stubborn old bastards like MacTavish didn't want to have to change the way they played the game (with regards to helmets), and I don't think veterans of the NHL would accept such an adjustment to their games with respect to face shields (of any variety). Although, I do oppose the neon transparent orange visor that Eric Weinrich seems to think is fashionable. Almost as bad as Darryl Sydor wearing the football face guard attachment on his helmet...

PS- I somewhat feel responsible for many maple leaf injuries... having been witness to both Bryan Berard's and Doug Gilmour's final full outings with the Leafs.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:52 PM   #739
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Face shields will become mandetory; it's only a matter of time. More and more players are using them, even so called "tough" players. Even Mike Keane, who's never used one his entire career, is finally waking up and smelling the coffee, and is using one. And he's a tough guy. That's the thing people have to realize. Wearing a visor is not for "pansies" or whatever; they're for people with half a brain. This is the eyes we're talking about, a delicate instrument we all need for the rest of our lives. It's not about how tough you are.

I hate to bring up Gretzky (well, no I don't ), but even he said he would have worn a visor if he started playing today. The reason he didn't is because he was so used to not wearing one ever since childhood (they didn't even have face shields or full cages for kids back in those days). The Gretzky "look" was the Jofa helmet, and he never did switch over. He thinks it was stupid of him, looking back, and he's right. Luckily for him, he got away with it, but not everyone does.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:57 PM   #740
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Meringue
I guess Park didn't need to work as hard for his goal.
Maybe he should start, since he only has 6 goals compared to Naslund's 20 so far this season.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:13 PM   #741
Refugee

Nice.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:36 PM   #742
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think they should wear visors. Eye injuries scare me more than just about anything.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:08 PM   #743
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard

PS- I somewhat feel responsible for many maple leaf injuries... having been witness to both Bryan Berard's and Doug Gilmour's final full outings with the Leafs.
i was at the corel center for berards fateful nite. i and my friends all feel responsible (it involves a crank phone call to the ottawa westin room of berard and gary valk, a fabricated story of berards unrequited love affair with one of my floormates at sharkys bar in toronto and a lot of drinks)
Old 01-06-2004, 10:53 PM   #744
Refugee

I would vote for the grandfathering in of the visor...if some players don't want to change...let them take the chance.

The eye injury does scare me everytime I hear about (or see) them happening, and I think that the visor should be used more that it is now...but like Cujo said, there are some "cranks" out there that will never want to touch one....until they get injured that is.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:12 AM   #745
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:07 AM
Players who don't wear eye visors are idiots. I can't imagine going out there without something over my eyes.

I can understand not liking the "fishbowl" effect of them, but older players who have started wearing them say they are much better than they used to be.

I got sick *reading* the description of Bryan Berard's injury. I've never seen one in person. Milan Hejduk (who's always worn a visor) was slashed near the eye and there was so much blood, everyone thought he'd gotten it in the eye...it was horrible, but luckily just an ugly cut.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:39 PM   #746
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

one time lemonpie and i were at a game and we saw a guy get smacked in the eye-area with a puck that deflected off of i think gaborik's slapshot (maybe dupuis, either way - a fast moving piece of rubber). the guy just fell to the ground so fast...there was blood around his face while he was lying there- i've never seen so much blood from an injury in my whole life. they couldn't even clean it all up there was so much...it makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it now.

either way, yes, eye visors are good smack.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:19 PM   #747
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:07 AM
not to mention al macinnis' career is over due to an eye injury

and now barret jackman is out for the year due to shoulder surgery

that was our top defensive pair last year, the blues are seriously cursed. whats funny is blues fans are used to devestating things like this now, their plane could go down tomorrow and we'd just be like ok, now what. actually thats more sad then funny.

about face shields, people say fighters cant wear them, but why couldnt they just take off their helmets like they take off their gloves, so thats silly.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:52 PM   #748
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:07 AM
Yeah, that is silly. When they fight, the helmets generally come off anyway because they wear them so loose, so that's just a dumb excuse.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:25 AM   #749
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
about face shields, people say fighters cant wear them, but why couldnt they just take off their helmets like they take off their gloves, so thats silly.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:36 AM   #750
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Did anyone catch Daniel Sedin's goal tonight? I know he's a Canuck and all, but you guys should seriously check it out on the highlights of the night tonight. It was very Gretzky-esque. Quite incredible, whether you're a Canucks fan or not. I honestly didn't think he had it in him.