2003/2004 NHL Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
must be.

jeremy roenicks autopsy...er...post-game photo from last nite should pick things up.
roenick_42485.jpg

roenick was suspended a game for successfully throwing and hitting a ref with a water bottle. j.r. says the ref missed a high stick to his head. i side with the ref tho, roenick looks more like an asteroid hit him.

For once I'm going to side with J.R. The officiating in the NHL has become a league wide joke. How could TWO refs miss the decapitating high stick to his subsequently mauled face? How could they miss the bloody volcanic eruption from his mouth? It's disgusting. The only highlight was watchign Roenick throw the waterball as a football across the entire arena, and actually getting the ref in the skate. That was an amazing throw. But that aside, it is sad the NHL has come to this. When are they going to enforce the rule book? I think the two ref system has failed miserably, as well. There's too much inconsistency between the two. They don't know what to call... almost like half the time they're waiting for the other guy to make a call to see if it "should" be called. The end result is, neither of them make the call, and let half the stuff go, and then call the most innocuous things to make up for it. Again, no consistency. The officiating system has to change. Hopefully that's one of the things which will be dealt with this year.

Re: the Canucks being 1st overall - I'm letting it play itself out. The Canucks have flirted with 1st place overall off and on for 2 seasons now. It's only half way through the season, and we'll see how they finish. Their 8 game road winning streak has a lot to do with it. Now only if they could figure out how to win on home ice.... Their schedule has been horrible. They go away for a few games, come back for 1, go away for a few, come back for 1. They have flown the 2nd most travel miles of any team in the NHL this year, and though being located on the West Coast of BC has a lot to do with it, it's the scheduling which has been atrocious.

I want to give Roenick a hug, a glass of milk and a plate of soft cookies.

Unfortunately, he won't be able to eat my comforting snacks and hugging him will cause him to scream with pain.

That's old time hockey for you.

AvsGirl41 said:
I want to give Roenick a hug, a glass of milk and a plate of soft cookies.

Unfortunately, he won't be able to eat my comforting snacks and hugging him will cause him to scream with pain.

That's old time hockey for you.

I am Roenick's alternate when it comes to the milk, cookies and hugs! [/desperation]

Any concerns about the potential lock-out next year? They are running a series of pieces about it in one of our local newspapers.

Meh. I think I'm the only optimist in the world... a labour dispute would be too costly.

No, no... there won't be a lockout. Either NHL as per usual, or no NHL ever again.

:up:

The Canucks have given up it seems. They've just lost 3 regulation (regular season) games in a row for the first time in two years. They need a huge shake up. A big trade might be the order of the day. They need to get rid of the liability known as Malik, and pick up O'Neil from Carolina. Getting rid of Slegr was retarded.

They don't care anymore, it seems. Bertuzzi needs to either go or start trying again. I don't want to see him become another Eric Lindros, which he has been so far this season. It's getting painful to watch them. They used to be so exciting. Now they're quite boring to say the least.

Sorry abou the rant. I'm disappointed in them.

Michael Griffiths said:
They don't care anymore, it seems. Bertuzzi needs to either go or start trying again. I don't want to see him become another Eric Lindros, which he has been so far this season. It's getting painful to watch them. They used to be so exciting. Now they're quite boring to say the least.

I appreciate the rant... interesting how it reveals that the Canucks only excite you when they win.

:sexywink:

I call thee Bandwagoneer!

Yes, you have a point. I'm just disappointed in their effort as of late. It's like they have lost their pride. No urgency anymore. They're letting valuable points slip away. I guess they're in a slump. But they've been in one pretty much all season, even when they were winning games. They're lucky to have the record they have. I can't remember the last time they played hard for 60 minutes. Their normal thing is to just kind of skate around for two periods, get down a goal or two, and then play hard for the last 15 minutes of the game, hoping to tie it up and win it in OT. It worked at the beginning of the year, but now it's finally catching up to them.

Oh, just have to add - The Canucks have often excited me when they lose. They lost to St. Louis earlier this season, and it was one of the most exciting games of the season. The 1-1 tie against the Avs was very exciting, too. So winning is not a requirement, as you say. I just need to see the effort and emotion. I need to see some urgency. Tonight, it was almost zero.

Last edited:
sadly, it seems a few games of marginal or negligeble effort is something we fans must occassionally expect from players these days. maybe it was always so and exorbitant salaries (relative to the layman) have only brought us to expect more. or maybe players do let up more often now.

to suggest bertuzzi is going to have a marginalized career because of a handful of off nights is a little outlandish.

steve simmons has an interesting rumination on how coach's have destroyed the entertainment in sport in general this morning. its worth a read.

Last edited:
danny markov to the flyers. damn-hes a good physical d man.

reports say o'neill will also be moved this afternoon. suggestions he could go to TO, but that talk happens with everyone that becomes available. i know i would welcome some young scoring talent though.

I never thought a game against Tampa Bay could be exciting.
But it was a pretty good one last night... Hejduk penalty shot. :drool: And a great goal from my boy Skoo. :love:

The Denver papers are sure a lockout will happen. But since they barely work at the hockey beat, I'm sure they're simply frightened at the prospect of having to write about some other sport and their bosses finding out how little they actually know... :mac:

kobayashi said:

so, is it time for mandatory visors on incoming players?

while i am of the opinion the visors should be grandfathered in, it seems there is also a problem with stick control in the nhl.

better enforcement? stiffer penalties?

the non call on j blake for his work on d tucker last nite was horrendous. perpetuated by t greggson as well.

A couple notes from around the league:

- Did anyone see the Wild scoring two goals in a 2.7 second span the other night against the Hawks, marking the fastest two goals in NHL history? The Wild did this! (The 2nd goal was drawn back from centre ice into the Blackhawks' own net late in regulation after the Hawks had pulled their goalie for an extra attacker.)

- Was it Havlat who finished a spectacular 5 way passing play tonight for Ottawa? Wow, that was something to behold.

- Jagr is supposedly going to New York (again). On a side note, check out the funny caption:

seriously.jpg

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
The Wild did this!

What kind of shit ass comment is that? :eyebrow:

How quickly you forget who knocked your ELITE team out of the playoffs less than seven months ago. Yes, THE WILD DID THAT!

oh...and it was the Blackhawks...16 game losing streak! Woo hoo.

Last edited:
wow. rumors are flying.

jagr (nyr), bondra (ott), gonchar (tor) all supposed to be leaving washington.

i say one of them happens and the least likely is the jagr trade.

Speaking of last year and this year stuff...

What happened to the "Mighty" Ducks this year? They were Stanley Cup finalists last year and they suck this year. The Wild play them tonight. Should be an interesting rematch.

That quick goal was great Wednesday night against Chicago. Another nice play by Park. He was filling in at center since Wes Walz is on IR. Park had 2 goals that night.

Back
Top Bottom