(12-27-2003) - You gave us gift of life - The Sun *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina O'Numb

War Child
You gave us gift of life

By OLIVER HARVEY

AIDS victim kids have been given the best Christmas present of all by Sun readers ? the gift of life.

We told earlier this month of pop stars Bono and Beyonce?s visit to abandoned youngsters at a childrens? home in Baphumelele, South Africa.

The children have been sentenced to death by the HIV virus that is gripping Africa.

But as a result of our World AIDS Day article about the 45 doomed tots a charity has now stepped in.

One to One Children?s Fund is to provide vital drugs which will give them a better chance of life.

And Sun readers sent thousands of pounds to help rebuild their leaky, ramshackle orphanage.

Last night orphanage head Rosalia Mashale, 41, said: ?It?s been a special Christmas for these little babies. They now have a life to look forward to. Thank you so much.?

The tots will receive the anti-retroviral (ARV) drugs. These stop the HIV virus reproducing and attacking the body?s immune system.

It doesn?t cure the disease, but it does add years to the life expectancy of victims. When Bono and Beyonce visited Khayalitsha township, near Cape Town, we pictured them cradling orphans Emily, one, and Hope, two.

The stars were told that they, like many of the tots, are HIV positive, abandoned by AIDS-ravaged parents.

And the cash-strapped orphanage couldn?t afford to buy the medicines it needs.

U2 star Bono, 43, said: ?You read all the awful statistics but it really hits home when you hold a very, very sick little girl like Emily in your arms knowing she will die if nothing is done.

?I think decent people will read The Sun, see the picture of Emily and feel, ?I know that?s not right.? ?

Sun photographer Dave Hogan took four months? supply of milk substitute, maize and beans to the home.

The chairman of One to One, David Altschuler, 53, said last night: ?Thanks to Sun readers the children have received the best Christmas present ? the gift of life. It costs just ?1 per day to keep a child alive.

?Children, whose families have lost hope, are able to leave hospital and return to their former lives.?

So far Sun readers have donated more than ?6,000 to the orphanage.

Reader Margaret Halsey, 82, from Porchester, Hants, made a donation from her pension.

She said last night: ?I was heartbroken to read about these poor orphans in The Sun so I gave as much as I could.?

How to help
THE charity estimates the drug treatment and building repairs will together cost ?100,000 over three years. You can help rebuild the orphanage by sending cheques, payable to One to One Children?s Fund, to War on Aids, The Sun, 1 Virginia Street, London, E98 1XY. Or see www.one2onekids.org

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003600470,,00.html

:sad: That is beautiful but I can't help but feel like there is so much more suffering. This is just one place but the ball is rolling. I also can't help contridicting myself :coocoo: :crazy: :blahblah: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom