(09-23-2002) Bono appears on Oprah Winfrey - WorldPop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.worldpop.com/

Bono appears on Oprah Winfrey

U2's Bono was the special guest on the Oprah Winfrey show in the US on Friday night. The singer discussed his part in the fight against Aids in Africa and urged the audience to take action also. 'This is an emergency,' Bono told the audience. 'People are dying not just in Africa but all over the world and even with all the things going on in the world, war and stuff, we need to fight this. We will define ourselves by how we deal with this problem. Somehow we've got numb to the pictures we see of children dying in Africa and we don't do anything about it.'

'Bill Gates is somebody we're involved with' continued Bono, 'and he's got the deepest pockets of anyone. But his pockets aren't deep enough to fix this. This is a political problem. The good news is that if it's a political problem, it belongs to the people. Tony Blair knows about these issues, the French President whom I met knows about these issues but they need to be galvanized into action by the people.'

Asked by Oprah whether his campaigning work had fuelled his passion on stage Bono replied: 'I was very humbled to find out that the less time I spent in the studio, the better the music seemed to get! The band is really supportive of my work. They just wish the people I was hanging out with weren't so un-hip!'

(23 September, 2002)

Back
Top Bottom