(07-18-2002) I Can Be Obnoxious, But I Don't Think I'm Boring - IC Scotland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://icscotland.icnetwork.co.uk

I CAN BE OBNOXIOUS, BUT I DON'T THINK I'M BORING
Jul 18 2002

By Diarmaid Mac Dermott And Elaine Edwards

BONO ON MAKING MOST OF SHOWBIZ LIFE HE SAYS HE'S LUCKY TO HAVE

BONO admitted yesterday that he has a wonderful life and slammed stars who moan about the pressure of fame.

The U2 frontman said they are very lucky not to have to deal with the day-to-day worries that affect most people.

He added: "I hate whingeing rock stars, I really hate them. I have an amazing life. I know it's incredible.

"I don't have to worry about the same things that a lot of people have to - can you afford to get into hospitals and schools and all that.

"That's the deal with U2 fans, if you like. You don't worry about that and, in return, don't be boring. I can be obnoxious but I don't think I'm boring."

The 42-year-old singer admitted that one of the things he enjoys most in life is being with his four children when he gets some time off from his job as one of the world's top rock stars.

Bono, believed to be worth more than ?100million, said: "I do bring my children to school and it's a favourite thing to do.

"Even if I'm coming in and going out I'll take them to school. My kids go to school and that's the most important thing. It hasn't been at all a hassle."

But the star, who's been in the spotlight for nearly a quarter of a century, said there was a downside to fame.

He told Vincent Browne on RTE Radio: "There are other aspects which are annoying, invasion of privacy sometimes.

"I'm the only person I know who takes off his sunglasses to keep a low profile. To go incognito I take them off."

But at the same time, Bono wouldn't trade his super stardom for the quiet life.

He added: "The biggest thrill for me is being in a great rock 'n' roll band - being in U2.

"We are in the studio at the moment. We've got some extraordinary songs.

"It does disturb me a little bit that the less time I spend in the studio the better we seem to be getting.

"Because I'm doing all this extra curricular stuff I thought that the band would collapse but sadly they've gone from strength to strength.

"That's where I really want to be. I think that our band is still doing their best work now and a lot of people agree with that.

"Make two crap albums and you're out. We've made albums that people don't like but we haven't made a crap album yet."

But Bono said that he didn't think he'd still be performing in his 60s.

He told Browne: "I don't know how long we have left. Bob Dylan is a great example. Sinatra was great.

"But I can't imagine still loving Larry Mullen's bass drum kicking on a nightly basis - it's a very fearful place to stand in front of that drum kit when he's beating it!"

And he again admitted his bandmates Larry Mullen, guitarist Dave "The Edge" Evans and bass player Adam Clayton did sometimes resent his other activities, such as the Third World debt campaigns.

Bono said: "It was a strain on the last album a bit. It was very hard when you are dealing with very serious issues of life and death.

"As life-transforming as I think a U2 gig is, it's not life and death. Doctors, nurses and mothers have more important jobs.

"When you are dealing with these issues, and for this freakish, bizarre twist of events people are taking your calls, listening to you and you are having some kind of influence for whatever perverted reasons.

"It was hard not to get on the plane and go to Washington and get debt cancellation through Congress rather than stay at home and do the music.

"It did cause strains but they are incredibly good about it and they have financially, as well as with the most precious thing, which is time, supported me on this and I really appreciate it."

Bono paid tribute to Taoiseach Bertie Ahern for helping to organise a second U2 gig at Slane Castle last year, but wasn't sure then they would next play to Irish fans.

He said: "I don't know when we'll next play a gig. It's really important for us now to make a couple of good albums.

"There is a single coming out in September and there is also a song that goes with the Martin Scorsese film The Gangs of New York."

The singer controversially claimed the Irish had been "racist" in 19th century New York but had learned it from the British. He said: "We were very good racists and we learned to be bullies from a great bully.

"We learned from the British colonial jackboot how to stand on people."

Bono also took the opportunity to give his views on the controversial Nice referendum.

Appealing for a "Yes" vote, he told Browne: "I go to these meetings with politicians in Europe. It is unbelievable, they always bring it up.

"They cannot believe Ireland did what they did on the Nice Treaty. I noticed a lot of politicians getting very angry.

"I say they didn't understand the issues - if they did they'd have voted yes."

Thank you, Gina Marie!

So many nice parts in that article...I was going to quote them, but there are just so many.

I :heart: Bono!!

Re: Re: (07-18-2002) I Can Be Obnoxious, But I Don't Think I'm Boring - IC Scotland

Mirrorball Girl said:
A nice article ... but am I the only one slightly worried by this quote:

Wha?? A couple of good albums before a tour?

Perhaps. I wouldn't exactly be shocked if it were awhile before they toured again. Tours are a ton of work and commitment. It's a commitment of time, energy, and heaven knows what else. They've worked so damn hard to entertain us and give us great albums and shows, I think they should smell a few roses. I'm sure they'll tour when they get the proper inspiration. When that is, probably no one knows right now.

I agree with you on that. They work so hard, and they should just be able to take it easy for awhile. They definitely deserve it! I know I'm selfish in wanting them to just keep going, but I know that they'll get even better if they take a break from touring and just work on music and enjoy life. :)

Exactly! I get a bit nervous when there are reports that they want Bono to take a break because he's been working too hard and is exhausted. Of course *he'll* insist everything is OK. But he and Edge are both workaholics. You just hope and pray that they're not working *too* hard because they're quite capable of it.

Back
Top Bottom