Go Back   U2 Feedback > 'Zine (archived) > U2 News > U2 News Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:37 PM
(03-22-2004) Rumor: U2 to Release Concerts on iTunes?*

U2 'Live' On the Web?

Interference.com has heard some whispering in the halls about U2 and Apple Computer Corporation possibly working together in the not so distant future (think upcoming new album/tour press blitz). For what, you may ask? Well, we can't be 100% sure, but the rumors have it that U2 are planning on selling songs from past and future live performances/concerts on Apple's iTunes music store! While we know this is only a rumor at the moment, we had also taken note of an article in the Rocky Mountain News
(http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...725821,00.html) which seems to support this. Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead discusses the Dead's latest venture with Apple:

The Grateful Dead is still putting its own archive out. Besides standard CD releases, the Dead is finalizing a deal with Apple's I-Tunes to make every live note they've ever recorded available for download.

"Everything, sooner or later, will end up being released on the Web," Weir says. "What we wanna do is digitize our entire catalog, our entire collection of tapes . . . and make that stuff available. I think I-Tunes is up to that."

He goes on to say:

"At 99 cents a tune, it's a pretty decent price, because most of our tunes are pretty long."

Will live U2 shows be released at 99 cents a song too? At 22-24 songs for most live U2 shows, $22-24 dollars per show doesn't sound too bad to have an official soundboard recording of your favorite concert memories. We'll keep you posted.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:37 PM
That would be awesome!! If it happens..

Old 03-22-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

this would rock my world...

and i can't believe i said something that stupid, but that's how i feel
Old 03-22-2004, 01:16 PM   #4
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 AM
This is a good thing

Really really really good thing

Old 03-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

This is fantastic news!!!!!

My nearly brand-new G4 iBook would be sooooo happy to download lots and lots of live U2 onto its hard drive via iTunes!!!

It's funny, I was thinking about the possibility of U2 releasing live concerts in this way a few days ago...it would be a great way of keeping the fans happy until the new album finally comes out. I've been very tempted to buy bootlegs on eBay, until I remind myself I don't have the money for such frivolity.

Anyway, this is great news!
Old 03-22-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:37 AM
Whoa. That'd be cool! .

Yeah. I would definitely like that.

Angela
Old 03-22-2004, 02:00 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
This would be so cool if it happens
Old 03-22-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 02:37 PM

well, that sounds good guys, but I don't know... because that means different things at the same time:

1- if U2 release something like concert bootlegs, those performances will have better quality than the best unofficial bootleg available out there !!
2- that would be not available for every fan, since you must have two things for buying on internet:
internet ( off course ) and a credit card
How many fans do you think have both internet and credit cards ?

I have only internet, so if U2 release this project, I couldnīt buy anything .
This project have good and bad things, I hope if U2 release it, think in a better way ( and a real one ) to reach all the fans
Old 03-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #9
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
well, that sounds good guys, but I don't know... because that means different things at the same time:

1- if U2 release something like concert bootlegs, those performances will have better quality than the best unofficial bootleg available out there !!
2- that would be not available for every fan, since you must have two things for buying on internet:
internet ( off course ) and a credit card
How many fans do you think have both internet and credit cards ?

I have only internet, so if U2 release this project, I couldnīt buy anything .
This project have good and bad things, I hope if U2 release it, think in a better way ( and a real one ) to reach all the fans
Don't worry once they hit iTunes and other people buy them some inventive guy/girl will convert them to mp3 and share them. I really want them to release their soundboard recordings and would pay $10 for concerts I went to.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:34 PM   #10
She's the One

Guess I might have to upgrade to a better mac. I was looking for an excuse to do that anyway!!
Old 03-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:37 AM
I knew U2 would jump on the Itunes band wagon. My guess concerts would cost $15 for the entire show. This would be so cool.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:04 PM   #12
Babyface

Wicked wicked wicked and you know that U2 would realize the iTunes would get ripped to MP3 so I'm hoping they will be rare, stompin' shows. They're looking out for all their fans doing this. Thanks guys!
Old 03-22-2004, 07:47 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Guess I might have to upgrade to a better mac. I was looking for an excuse to do that anyway!!
Martha, if you can update, do it. There's nothing like collecting your favorite songs on iTunes or watching Slane on the DVD player just before you go to sleep!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 10:37 AM
I've got a few problems with this.

A) itunes uses a horrible compression standard. Giving much lower fidelity than you would get from a WAV file.

B) Much like the same problems with AAC or MP3s, iTunes has that horrible gap problem. This is particularly problematic with live music or studio tracks that segue into one another. You will be given a short gap inbetween each track.

Nonetheless this is a step in the right direction. I personally believe that U2 should be like Phish and offer the concerts in either MP3/iTunes as well as FLAC files(for obsessive audiophiles like myself). Then simply charge more for the FLAC format, which has worked rather successfully for Phish. However since it seems like this is a joint venture with Apple, that probably won't happen.
Makes me wonder when people will put away the childrens toys and buy a PC.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:39 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Wow, sort of good news. But they need to have another option over I Tunes. They are poor quality as mentioned above. Either offer FLAC or regular WAV file converted CD's that can be purchased online and mailed from their website in addition to the MP3 stuff. This way those with slow connections and/or those that dont want lower quality MP3 can get the shows without a loss in quality or clicks and gaps between songs. This really is the wave of the future. Alot of groups are offering their shows now. There is a big market for big acts who have a live reputation and it is relatively simple to do now. Bands that are doing this and offering both options and recordings of most if not all of their shows are:

Dave Matthews Band (starting this summer)
Metallica (current tour, offering MP3's and FLAC)
Phish (as mentioned above)
Barenaked Ladies (MP3 files and WAV sourced CD's both offered)
Duran Duran (official CD's)
Peter Gabriel (official CD's)
The Who (official CD's)

The Rolling Stones where looking at it last year on their Euro tour but never got around to it. I would guess if they tour again they will do it, Mick likes money! LOL

I'am sure there are other artists and I'am sure more and more artists will start doing this. U2 would be smart to do it as they are one of the top bootlegged artists out there. So there is a huge demand for U2 live.