PLEBA Misc News and Articles #4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy Falls From The Sky...I wanna listen the entire song so bad:love::hyper::heart:

Well you actually CAN listen to the entire song (with Bono singing) if you don't mind a bit of beach noise. :wink: (beach clip #402) I've always liked the song! :up:
(Let me know if you need it sent :) )

Could you send it to me to :reject:

Sorry, I had to leave for a bit, did you get it yet? I'll send it now. You may have already heard it if you listen to beach clips, but this may be the only full song version we ever get with Bono singing. I hope not! But who knows!

hey bonocomet would it be too much to ask if you could pm the link my way too? pretty pretty please :wave: lol
i never heard the "beach clips" before, whats it from??

Bono, bloody Bono?

Saturday May 15 2010
Andy Storey does not pull punches. Not when it comes to his views on Bono's campaigning work. The development studies lecturer at University College Dublin describes himself as "very critical" of the singer and activist. "His embrace of the powerful neuters what he can say. He is calling for increased aid but, at the same time, he is bolstering and legitimising the very people who are helping to maintain the huge disparity between rich and poor.

"He is a useful idiot for world leaders who like to look cool when photographed alongside him. And there's something utterly unseemly about Bono's obsequiousness with them.

104htg2.png

hey bonocomet would it be too much to ask if you could pm the link my way too? pretty pretty please :wave: lol
i never heard the "beach clips" before, whats it from??

The beach clips were recorded in 2006 I think by a fan outside of Bono and Edge's houses in Eze one day while Bono was blasting music really loud. There were 4 new unheard songs at the time. One later turned out to be Window in the Skies which was released after that, and now another has turned out to be Boy Falls From the Sky. We still don't know about 2 of them :hmm: I'll send it now. Also Bono and Edge have acknowledged the beach clips in interviews and Edge has said he has listened to them. At the time we were sending them to tons of people who requested them. Maybe Edge was one of those people :ohmy: :lol: Also, Bono got "in trouble" for doing it. :giggle:

haha wow! yeah i bet the edge was 'undercover' and got a clip from one of you! thats a crazy story though! lol

Edge's daughter invents mutating little 'green' men

By Katherine Donnelly
Thursday May 20 2010
HER dad has been at the cutting edge of rock music for over 30 years.

Now Dubliner Arran Evans is bringing her own brand of creativity to biodegradable children's toys.

The 24-year-old from Monkstown, daughter of U2 guitarist The Edge, is about to introduce the world to 'Mulch Men', toys that eventually disintegrate into garden compost.

The two-inch figurines are made from a biodegradable plastic derived from potato starch which, when children tire of them, can be safely buried in damp soil.

Arran, a final year design student of Product and Furniture Design at Kingston University in south-west London, has already made a name for herself with a designer cotton handbag, Baile Bag.

With her latest project, Arran said she wanted to design something for boys aged between eight and 12.

Her imaginative "green" idea was inspired by a concern that "a lot of toys contain a whole variety of chemicals and there's no way parents can find out what's in them."

She said she hoped that children would fall for her 25 figurines. She has also designed a "landscape" for the 'Mulch Men' to live in.

Once the novelty has worn off, children can bury their 'Mulch Men' in damp soil and, within two weeks, their appearance changes and after about six weeks they disappear.

"The spaceman turns into an alien, the soldier becomes a zombie and the mad scientist mutates into a goblin" said Arran.

Finally, rather than disappearing into a box in the attic, the 'Mulch Men' can simply be thrown on the compost heap.

Course leader Simon Maidment said the brief given to students was to identify a worldwide problem and then try to design a creative and meaningful solution to it.

Smile

"Our dependence on oil-based plastics is clearly a serious issue, but Arran's solution is one that will make a lot of people smile," he said. Arran's designs will be launched at Kingston University's degree show from June 6-11, an event that traditionally attracts top industry players.

Before going to Kingston, where she has won a competition for creating the college's corporate gift, Arran studied at Dublin Institute of Technology and the Art Centre, Los Angeles.

Her design talent is combined with a strong sense of social justice and her Baile tote bags are certified Fair Trade and Fair Labour, and support Kiva.org, the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, which empowers individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs around the globe.

- Katherine Donnelly

Irish Independent

Edge's daughter invents mutating little 'green' men - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Those U2 kids are clearly making good things out of their genes :up:

Good to see them continuing with the tradition of good work as shown by their parents. Interesting project.

Sorry, I had to leave for a bit, did you get it yet? I'll send it now. You may have already heard it if you listen to beach clips, but this may be the only full song version we ever get with Bono singing. I hope not! But who knows!
Got it , thank you ,:hug: I've heard it before , but lost the beach clips last month when my computer crashed -> new hard drive.

With her latest project, Arran said she wanted to design something for boys aged between eight and 12.

Wonder if Levi, Eli, John and Larry's son (whose name escapes me) were part of her test group? :)

Here's another article about Arran's toys. Watch out – the Mulch Men are coming | Creative Boom

ArranEvansMulchMan-524x349.jpg

They’re two inches tall, can miraculously change their appearance and are here to save the world. A Kingston University student is about to launch ‘Mulch Men’ on an unsuspecting nation.

Remember Transformers, Furbies, Go-go’s Crazy Bones and Beanie Babies? The latest must-have children’s toy could well be Mulch Men, wild-eyed characters made of a biodegradable plastic. A Kingston University undergraduate has found a way of making these curious creatures change their appearance – and then, eventually, turn into compost which can be used in the garden.

The Mulch Men will be meeting fans at Kingston University’s Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture’s Undergraduate Degree Show from 6th to 11th June. The figurines, designed by 24 year old Arran Evans, will be on display alongside a host of imaginative ideas from the Faculty which encompasses animation, film making, interior and exterior design, photography and surveying.

“I found that a lot of toys contain a whole variety of chemicals and there’s no way parents can find out what’s in them,” Arran, who has found a way of manufacturing the Mulch Men using a plastic derived from potato starch, explained. “I wanted to design something for boys aged between eight and twelve. At that age, they love colourful plastic toys that they get stuck into and have fun with.”

Arran hopes boys will fall for the twenty five figurines and said they would also be able to buy a ‘landscape’ for the mulch men to live in. Once the initial novelty had worn off, the children could bury their Mulch Men in damp soil and within two weeks they would have changed appearance. “The space man turns into an alien, the solider becomes a zombie and the mad scientist mutates into a goblin”, Arran explained.

And finally, rather than disappearing into a box in the attic, the Mulch Men could simply be thrown away on a compost heap," she said.

Originally from the Dublin suburb of Monkstown, Arran is in the third year of her Product and Furniture Design degree. Course leader Simon Maidment said: “I asked the students to identify a world-wide problem and then try to design a creative and meaningful solution to it. Our dependence on oil-based plastics is clearly a serious issue – but Arran’s solution is one that will make a lot of people smile.”

"Our students’ work at the Degree Show always attracts a lot of interest from top industry players", Mr Maidment said. "This year the range of ideas includes an algae cultivator capable of providing a family with 25% of its food, a set of designs for furniture which would be manufactured by autistic craftsmen and a new form of soundproofing for musicians."

Mulch-Menlogo-by-Arran-Evans-Produc.jpg

Awww, Arran seems like such a smart and cool person! And those toys are so cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom