PG(and sometimes B)P: The Good, The Bad, and THE EDGE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww! :love: I got a little misty-eyed just reading what you'd written. :lol: :sap:

Aw. :hug: She said more to me than that. Then after our conversation, I had to send her our "official" email. I felt like I couldn't just leave it at that though, so I sent her another email after saying "now that the official email is out of the way, I just wanted to say I'm so happy I got in touch with you, and I'll be thinking of you and your family over the holidays." SOB. And then her and I exchanged several emails over the rest of the day. :)

It's funny. I'm generally so guarded on here about what I say about work. A while back, my supervisor said to me "you should start a blog about your crazy contest experiences at work!" I was all "omg, no! People get fired for shit like that!" :lol:

actually, when I started looking up early You Tube videos to post, I was all "omg, I want to get out his early albums and rock the fuck out, not listen to his new, piano-based dvd music!!!" But then I remembered that I'm tired and old and had a rough week, and calming piano is what I need right now. :lol:

:giggle: I forgive you...you know, that's actually making me think of the Replacements now (Iiii draw a lot of parallels between bands)...they were really punky in the beginning but got completely different and quieter later...there are basically two tracks punk bands can take. They can make the same music over and over, or the same style as they always do, or they can branch out and cover different genres (though their fans may give them hell). Or really, I guess that applies to all bands.

I've been listening to Unforgettable Fire when I need to calm down :heart: it's a very soothing album, especially all the weird quiet tracks...

Aw. :hug: She said more to me than that. Then after our conversation, I had to send her our "official" email. I felt like I couldn't just leave it at that though, so I sent her another email after saying "now that the official email is out of the way, I just wanted to say I'm so happy I got in touch with you, and I'll be thinking of you and your family over the holidays." SOB. And then her and I exchanged several emails over the rest of the day. :)

It's funny. I'm generally so guarded on here about what I say about work. A while back, my supervisor said to me "you should start a blog about your crazy contest experiences at work!" I was all "omg, no! People get fired for shit like that!" :lol:

I'm sure she loved the personal touch of you emailing her after the business stuff was out of the way. :)

:lol: Yeah, I used to write down the crazy stuff that people said to me when I worked on the phones. It was ridiculous. But there was NO way I'd ever write about it on a blog that anyone could find, because of the fear of getting fired, and because of what happened to Drea several years ago. I've heard too many bad stories, so I always keep work stuff (when I have work) very vague, or save it for PM's. :)

:giggle: I forgive you...you know, that's actually making me think of the Replacements now (Iiii draw a lot of parallels between bands)...they were really punky in the beginning but got completely different and quieter later...there are basically two tracks punk bands can take. They can make the same music over and over, or the same style as they always do, or they can branch out and cover different genres (though their fans may give them hell). Or really, I guess that applies to all bands.

I've been listening to Unforgettable Fire when I need to calm down :heart: it's a very soothing album, especially all the weird quiet tracks...

Love UF for those same reasons. :heart:

I think that the general public might not recognize it, but U2 are one of the most genre-diverse popular bands ever. I LOVE the Bono/U2 songs from the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, and that's a direction I'd love to see them go in for a new album.

I think it's the same with Joe Jackson, or probably any band with a severe genre shift - fans of your old music, the ones that are open-minded at least, will be open to listening to genre-shifting releases.

I'm sure she loved the personal touch of you emailing her after the business stuff was out of the way. :)

:lol: Yeah, I used to write down the crazy stuff that people said to me when I worked on the phones. It was ridiculous. But there was NO way I'd ever write about it on a blog that anyone could find, because of the fear of getting fired, and because of what happened to Drea several years ago. I've heard too many bad stories, so I always keep work stuff (when I have work) very vague, or save it for PM's. :)

That's what I always think of, what happened to Drea. STILL pissed off on her behalf, to this day.

That's what I always think of, what happened to Drea. STILL pissed off on her behalf, to this day.

Yup. I think we were all paranoid and freaked out for a while after that happened.

Well, it looks like there's officially nothing interesting on TV tonight. But then again it's Friday - I doubt there usually is anything worthwhile. What to watch? :hmm: Maybe I should look at Netflix - I haven't looked there in a while.

Not sure if I told you guys this, but our work party last weekend resulted in half the staff and their guests getting food poisoning. Omg. I was fine, but Sarah had it. Thankfully for most people it was only on Sunday, they were fine on Monday. My manager has been out for a week though, and expects to be out for another week. :(

And it was held at a really nice place!!

Not sure if I told you guys this, but our work party last weekend resulted in half the staff and their guests getting food poisoning. Omg. I was fine, but Sarah had it. Thankfully for most people it was only on Sunday, they were fine on Monday. My manager has been out for a week though, and expects to be out for another week. :(

OMG, that's horrible! :( That's definitely not good for the place that held the party. :yikes: Glad you've been okay, though.

The company was awesome though. They were in touch with the place where we had it, and they were apparently "mortified" and blamed it on their suppliers. And out company said that anyone who lost time because of it would be paid, and time off wouldn't count toward their sick days. Also, our cafeteria is having a "Christmas dinner" sometime in the next few weeks, which we normally would have had to pay for. The company said that after the holiday party fiasco, they would cover it, and now it's free to everyone. So at least they tried to make up for it, even though it wasn't their fault.

The company was awesome though. They were in touch with the place where we had it, and they were apparently "mortified" and blamed it on their suppliers. And out company said that anyone who lost time because of it would be paid, and time off wouldn't count toward their sick days. Also, our cafeteria is having a "Christmas dinner" sometime in the next few weeks, which we normally would have had to pay for. The company said that after the holiday party fiasco, they would cover it, and now it's free to everyone. So at least they tried to make up for it, even though it wasn't their fault.

Wow, that's really great of them! :up: Good save on their part, even though it was out of their control.

do they know what it was from? I have to say that as a chef, that's my biggest fear. I would be so upset if I found out someone got sick from something I made.

:rolleyes: it's always the suppliers fault when in reality it's the kitchen's fault. I've been around that a few times where the kitchen places the blame on the supplier to cover their ass because their kitchen staff didn't do the right thing. They left meat sitting out of the cooler for too long and still used it instead of throwing it out or they didn't cook it to the right temp and properly cool it down. So when someone calls up and said they were sick from the food they ate, the kitchen blames the supplier. Don't believe it!

Holy crap. I left my hair dye in for an hour instead of half an hour and now all my hair is red. Even the stuff that was dark before. What. *blink*

Wow, that's really great of them! :up: Good save on their part, even though it was out of their control.

Yeah. It could have been much, much worse. Most people were affected only Sunday. I think many of them thought it was because they were hungover. :lol: Sarah only had two drinks all night though, and I had six. It was only when we all got to work Monday and started to talk about how many were sick that we realized it was food poisoning. Our department had two tables totalling 16 people, and there were only 5 of us who didn't have it.

That's actually why we came home (relatively) early. Around 11:30 Sarah said to me "I'm having fun, but I'm getting stomach cramps, so could we maybe go home soon?" I told her fine, I had one more drink ticket, and said I could give it to someone. She was all "no, use it, I'm not in that much of a rush." So I got another drink, and then a few minutes later she said "they're getting worse, can we go sooner rather than later?" So we left not long after. She was okay though, till she got up the next morning. And she was mostly fine by Monday, just kind of tired and drained.

:rolleyes: it's always the suppliers fault when in reality it's the kitchen's fault. I've been around that a few times where the kitchen places the blame on the supplier to cover their ass because their kitchen staff didn't do the right thing. They left meat sitting out of the cooler for too long and still used it instead of throwing it out or they didn't cook it to the right temp and properly cool it down. So when someone calls up and said they were sick from the food they ate, the kitchen blames the supplier. Don't believe it!

I don't believe it. Eons ago, I worked in food service, and I have been on both ends of the whole food poisoning thing - being a victim of it, and being accused of it by like one person out of 100. But I also know how it's virtually impossible to pin down the cause. So, places tend to blame someone that's convenient. Not much you can do.

Further to the whole thing, in case you're interested ARW, we had turkey and beef. I took a slice of beef and then a slice of white meat turkey and a couple of bits of dark meat. I first tried a piece of dark meat, and it tasted so vile I couldn't even bring myself to swallow it, I spit it out, and left the turkey and just ate the beef. Others agreed with me, but still others claimed it tasted just fine to them. So who knows.

I don't believe it. Eons ago, I worked in food service, and I have been on both ends of the whole food poisoning thing - being a victim of it, and being accused of it by like one person out of 100. But I also know how it's virtually impossible to pin down the cause. So, places tend to blame someone that's convenient. Not much you can do.

one of the hotels I worked for took this very seriously and owned up to the fact that they might not have cooked the food right instead of placing blame somewhere else. The entire staff of a few hundred had to take weekly tests on kitchen safety for a few months after that happened along with weekly visits from the health dept. But everywhere else has always blamed the supplier to the customer and then did absolutely nothing to train their staff.

one of the hotels I worked for took this very seriously and owned up to the fact that they might not have cooked the food right instead of placing blame somewhere else. The entire staff of a few hundred had to take weekly tests on kitchen safety for a few months after that happened along with weekly visits from the health dept. But everywhere else has always blamed the supplier to the customer and then did absolutely nothing to train their staff.

Wow, good for them! I think that places now are so scared shitless of potential lawsuits that there is no way they would admit guilt. Like I was saying to my coworkers, most of our staff (and guests) who had it got off lucky, they had the runs for one day, nothing too debilitating or awful. It's not like they wound up in the hospital or ill for days and days.

The funny thing? It was my company's first time having it at this place. And it really is a beautiful setting, a gorgeous banquet hall. But they want to have it there again next year. Despite everything. :crack:

The funny thing? It was my company's first time having it at this place. And it really is a beautiful setting, a gorgeous banquet hall. But they want to have it there again next year. Despite everything. :crack:

I doubt there'd be food poisoning again. Or at least, it would be really embarrassing for the restaurant if it did happen again (so I'm guessing they fixed the problem or tried to...)

Wow, good for them! I think that places now are so scared shitless of potential lawsuits that there is no way they would admit guilt. Like I was saying to my coworkers, most of our staff (and guests) who had it got off lucky, they had the runs for one day, nothing too debilitating or awful. It's not like they wound up in the hospital or ill for days and days.

yeah this is a hotel very high up on the elite list and has 5 ***** next to their "elegant fine dining" name so they had no choice but to make it right with the customer (s) and then reprimand the entire staff. I know the guests got a free week stay plus full amenities. But the rest of the places just offered a free meal and went on with life.

I doubt there'd be food poisoning again. Or at least, it would be really embarrassing for the restaurant if it did happen again (so I'm guessing they fixed the problem or tried to...)

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. Odds are they've learned their lesson and bitchslapped whoever was responsible, and it won't happen again.

But if there's turkey next year? I'm probably passing. I'll have the beef.

Hi!

Steppin' Out is my favorite Joe Jackson song, but mostly because I loved it so much in the 80s. The only other song of his I'd heard up til then was Is She Really Going Out With Him, which was on my K-Tel album Rock 80, which was the first rock album I ever had (my aunt bought it for me for Christmas in - duh - 1980. I was 7. :love: ).

It was only in the last few years that I'd heard his other stuff, mostly thanks to Tori Amos doing a fabulous cover of Real Men on her Strange Little Girls album. I have a two-disc hits collection of Jackson's, and it's good.

Also, I have no idea how I did it, but I tweaked my knee somehow today. Randomly started getting twinges of pain this afternoon, and now it is killing me. This sort of thing never happens. :( I've got it elevated and have ice on it, and I took some ibuprofen.

Boo, getting older sucks sometimes.

yeah this is a hotel very high up on the elite list and has 5 ***** next to their "elegant fine dining" name so they had no choice but to make it right with the customer (s) and then reprimand the entire staff. I know the guests got a free week stay plus full amenities. But the rest of the places just offered a free meal and went on with life.

Wow. It's a running joke among my family how careful I am, and how no one would ever get sick eating at my place. How hard would it be for a restaurant to keep up those same standards??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom