Old pics for a new year.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babble

The Fly
I just recently bought Bill Graham's "U2 the Early Days" and scanned a few pics that I thought I'd share. Some of you may have seen them before, but for those who haven't, enjoy...

All pictures taken either Patrick Brocklebank, James Mahon, or Hugo McGuinness...gotta give credit where its due for these great pics.

Bono shirtless at an early gig...I thought you Pleba girls would especially enjoy this one.
zH30548.jpg

Elsie,an early friend and fan of the band grabbing hold of Adam's leg. The Lypton Village used to like to befriend misfit Dublin characters and Elsie was one of them. According to the book she was in her late thirties and at the end of each U2 set she'd pull some stunt for a few moments of fame like get up and waltz around with Bono or something.
gt25364.jpg

Adam pretending to play Edge's brother Dik's homeade guitar. It had been smashed earlier by Dave-id, one of the members of the Virgin Prunes during their concert.
27990517zYWhsEjqXf_ph.jpg

It took me a second to figure out why Edge's neck looked so weird. I realized it was just his collar sticking up.
27996666gTJtzjVxKt_ph.jpg

Larry at a Lypton Village party...
27997618htiBMuyRlu_ph.jpg

In this pic, Bono is attempting to defend himself (with a shoe :p ) from a punk stage invasion. The photographer had a bottle smashed across his back just seconds after the picture was taken.
JZ74057.jpg

A pic of Paul McGuiness with the band. The strange person peeping around on the far left is Elsie and the pretty girl sitting in between Bono and Larry is Rachel O'Sullivan, the girlfriend of Strongman, bassist for the Virgin Prunes and Guggi's brother. She is also Edge's first wife's sister. In the background you see Guggi, Gavin, and Clive Rowan, older brother of Guggi.

Jq10251.jpg

Hang on....more to come...

Originally posted by babble:

zH30548.jpg

AAAAALLLEELUUUUIIIAAAAA

------------------
~*Mona*~ 97%compatible with Bono
"Perhaps Miss PLEBA herself" ~GypsyHeartGirl~

"Bono...a sort of holy cross between the Morrisons, Jim and Van"

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT

zH30548.jpg

OMG!!! I've never seen these before... BONO!!!! *unable to control drool* Thank you so much for these beautiful pics... keep posting em'!! *hugs Babble*

------------------
Oh great ocean
Oh great sea
Run to the ocean
Run to the sea

Your welcome....I'm glad ya'll find them interesting.

These next two pics were taken during a Bill Graham interview with U2 and the Virgin Prunes at the Lypton Village Headquarters, the Willows, a house rented by the Rowan brothers.

K252677.jpg

LM81595.jpg

This is a picture of U2 and the Virgin Prunes relaxing in a bar after a gig at the Project Arts Center. I don't know the names of all the folks in the pic and the book didn't say but I'll list as many as I know. Starting from the left: Strongman (Trevor Rowan), I don't know, Edge, Guggi (Derek Rowan), Bono, Elsie I think, Gavin, Dik (Edge's brother), Dave-id is holding up the poster and Adam is laying on top of him.

OY50521.jpg

U2 in concert at McGonagle's, summer '78...it almost looks like Adam's wearing a wig.......and check out Edge's face.
QE17098.jpg

Edge and Adam at an early gig....I thought Edge's little pointy shoes were rather amusing.
St77781.jpg

Edge stopping for a coffee break. The guy in the background is Eric Briggs, an early roadie and drumming understudy to Larry for a short time.
MS15385.jpg

Well, that is all I've had time to scan for now. It's a great book and if you can get your hands on a copy I highly recommend it. As it's out of print, I knew it would be difficult for some U2 fans to get a copy so I thought I'd share the wealth a bit. I'll post some more pics when I get a chance to scan some more.

These are wonderful! Thanks...and I stole the one of Bono...duh!

------------------
"A Bono approved event is a good event!"

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

I have this book, too. It's very entertaining.

Your welcome....I'm glad ya'll find them interesting.

These next two pics were taken during a Bill Graham interview with U2 and the Virgin Prunes at the Lypton Village Headquarters, the Willows, a house rented by the Rowan brothers.

K252677.jpg

LM81595.jpg

This is a picture of U2 and the Virgin Prunes relaxing in a bar after a gig at the Project Arts Center. I don't know the names of all the folks in the pic and the book didn't say but I'll list as many as I know. Starting from the left: Strongman (Trevor Rowan), I don't know, Edge, Guggi (Derek Rowan), Bono, Elsie I think, Gavin, Dik (Edge's brother), Dave-id is holding up the poster and Adam is laying on top of him.

OY50521.jpg

U2 in concert at McGonagle's, summer '78...it almost looks like Adam's wearing a wig.......and check out Edge's face.
QE17098.jpg

Edge and Adam at an early gig....I thought Edge's little pointy shoes were rather amusing.
St77781.jpg

Edge stopping for a coffee break. The guy in the background is Eric Briggs, an early roadie and drumming understudy to Larry for a short time.
MS15385.jpg

Well, that is all I've had time to scan for now. It's a great book and if you can get your hands on a copy I highly recommend it. As it's out of print, I knew it would be difficult for some U2 fans to get a copy so I thought I'd share the wealth a bit. I'll post some more pics when I get a chance to scan some more.

OMG Those pictures are brilliant!!!

THANK U THANK U!!!!!!!!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

excellent size too (I dont have Flannigan book, still lookin) thanks LOADS babble!!!!!

Larry says 'Cheers' and Happy New Year gals!

smile.gif

great pics babble, great!

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 01-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 01-02-2002).]

I remember seeing yours Icelady and I've seen some of them other places too, I just wanted to say thumbs up to any old pics, I love them so much.

------------------
"Mullets rule!"

thanks for all those pictures. they're great. larry looks so innocent, and the rest of them look so cute/dorky.
smile.gif

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

Say it with me now ... Awwwwwww!

They so adorable, especially young shirtless Bono. I feel all giggly when ever I see young pics of they boys.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

Originally posted by icelady:
I know I know you guys are getting sick of me - but hey I'm catching up for lost time.
biggrin.gif

Please, please, please...by all means, continue catching up...we could NEVER get sick of you icelady! Thanks for the pics!

------------------
"A Bono approved event is a good event!"

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

THANK YOU Babble! These are some of the most fantatstic pics I've seen in ages! My gosh, ADAM'S PANTS!!! LOL!!
biggrin.gif

And HOORAY!!! I finally got to see the "most incredible looking machine you've ever seen in your life" - Edge and Dick's home made guitar (albeit a bit smooshed).

27990517zYWhsEjqXf_ph.jpg

I now know which book I'm getting next - is it a good read as well??

Originally posted by Discoteque:
I now know which book I'm getting next - is it a good read as well??

Yeah, I haven't actually read it all yet, but from what I have read I think it's excellent. It's got some very interesting bits of information on the early U2. I bought mine from a seller on Amazon.com for about $8 which I think is actually pretty cheap considering its rarity and all, and it was in excellent condition.

P.S. great pics Icelady. I can never get enough of them!

Alright more pics ladies....

These two are from a gig U2 played at Trinity College. It was a free gig and even though it was raining at the time, quite a few people stayed to listen. Ooooooooh I would have loved to have been there.
28473854AzSEqxGyCO_ph.jpg

28473901lxnhkuZUIK_ph.jpg

Bono with Gavin and Guggi at the Project Arts Centre.
28474332POOmhKrIaE_ph.jpg

Adam with his infamous ribbon-wrapped pants.
Now check out Bono's boots. In the book it says Bono was notorious around Dublin for wearing these kind of cuban-heeled boots. People started calling them "Bono boots".
xT25232.jpg

heh heh....Bono's hair....he's looking sorta hobbity here.
xG92835.jpg

more coming......

There are loads more from the Bill Graham book, but here are some from Eamon Dunphy's book "The Unforgettable Fire." It has a lot of great pics of very very young U2 and their families. I'll start with Bono.

Bono's mother, Iris Hewson.
28475130PczgOslQUQ_ph.jpg

Bono's dad, Bobby Hewson
28475159qopVIXHDfX_ph.jpg

Bobby and Iris Hewson
28475271zWdjwAjdHy_ph.jpg

Bono's parents having tea at a Dublin cafe.
28477209vCThDCKDrO_ph.jpg

Bono and family on holiday. From left: Bono, Iris, Bobby, and Bono's older brother Norman.
28476141TgEJGKYPYX_ph.jpg

And here's a little Paul McGuinness in Malta.

28476230zCobIcKEep_ph.jpg

And now for little Edge...

Edge is the little cutie on the far right, the baby is his little sister Gill, then his mom Gwenda Evans, and then Dick.
28475698pWbWgsKUkc_ph.jpg

Dick and Dave Evans (Dave=Edge).
28475477EaHGwVTnHL_ph.jpg

Little Larry...he's always been adorable.

Larry Sr. and Maureen Mullen, with Larry, Cecelia in the middle, and Mary on the left.

28475747FnxIPpvhVw_ph.jpg

Larry with his mother Maureen.
28475435GAgcXjjlul_ph.jpg

Young Larry with his drums.
28475876ghSowVlGPJ_ph.jpg

And last but certaintly not least...Adam Clayton!

28474881kJXZfnNSiz_ph.jpg

Adam and his father...

28474936EHqwFlcRcC_ph.jpg

Adam's mother...
28475584bdyueMVrLR_ph.jpg

Adam and his sister "Sindy". I wonder what that face is about?

28475002ZgVmdPGTmu_ph.jpg

Well, that's it. Enjoy.

Oh NO! My webshots webpage seems to be down today. Hopefully it will be back up soon cause I spent a lot time scanning and uploading those pictures.

Awwwww ... Those are wonderful piccies of our guys as kids. It's fun seeing how the boys take after their parents ... Like Bono definitely has his dad's chin; Edge looks so much like his mum; Larry ... well, I'm not sure who he looks like; Adam obviously inherited his poshness from his mum.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

Back
Top Bottom